Motor Tax Bands

stuffit

Minister Gormley has announced the new Motor Tax bands that apply from 1/07/2008...

Band A (under 120 grams per km) - €100.
Band B (121-140 grams per km) - €150.
Band C (141-155 grams per km) - € 290.
Band D (156-170 grams per km) - €430.
Band E (171-190 grams per km) - € 600.
Band F (191-225 grams per km) - €1,000.
Band G, the top band - €2,000, reflecting CO2 emissions of over 225grams per km

Is thare any site where I can look up my car's emmissions (Rover 75) ??

I've tried , but it only seems to list new cars.

Ste

Try here, its a UK site but has pretty much all cars old and new.

[broken link removed]

No, the motor tax system is changing too, but for new cars initially.

There were two announcements.

One relates to VRT changes based on on emissions for new car sales and the other announcement relates to changes in actual annual motor tax for all cars based on CO2 emissions to commence July of next year.

We'll see a lot of the large MPV (Range Rover, X5, Land Cruiser) owners facing a €2000 per year motor tax.....polluter pays finally!

Hits smaller cars too - my Terios 1.5l petrol falls into band E, so if I buy new in 2009 I face double what I pay in road tax now.

A terios looks like a jeep, but it isn't!!

Ahh...I didn't know the details of Minister Green's announcement - does anyone have a link to the specifics of the scheme? Is this new motor tax regime instead of the existing motor tax payment or in addition to it?

The revised tax is based on CO2 emissions and not on the shape of the vechicle. The Terios emissions are 186g CO2/km which means that you are in Band E (171-190 grams per km) - € 600.

This is actually pretty high for a 1.5l engine ( I run a 2 litre direct injection turbo car and my emissions are similar to that!)

It indicates that the additional weight required to have the terios looking like an MPV actually causes additional impact on pollutant emissions.

Perhaps I'd better sell the Terios now - nobody will want to buy it if the tax is €600 per year!!

No, the motor tax system is changing too, but for new cars initially.

Thinking post July 1 2008, does that mean that existing cars and those bought before July 1 next year, will continue to pay car tax under the current engine size scheme adjusted for the + 9%/11% changes announced yesterday.

So motor tax bands for all cars are changing next July?

Many family cars have relatively high emmisions putting them into Bands E & F resulting in a motor tax of €600 - €1000.
People who have bought such cars over the past few years intending to drive them for the foreseeable future are not going to be happy.

So motor tax bands for all cars are changing next July?

Only newly registered cars.

see rte site

"The Minister said these new car tax rates will apply only to new cars and to cars being registered for the first time in the Republic.
Existing cars will continue to be taxed on the present system, which is based on engine sizes"

It will definitely increase sales of Diesel cars.
My 1.9L Turbo Diesel is in band B. Under the current system (with new 9.5% rise) I pay nearly €600, under the new system it will be only €150.

Only newly registered cars.

see rte site

"The Minister said these new car tax rates will apply only to new cars and to cars being registered for the first time in the Republic.
Existing cars will continue to be taxed on the present system, which is based on engine sizes"

Thanks for the clarification. This seems fair enough.

It will definitely increase sales of Diesel cars.
My 1.9L Turbo Diesel is in band B. Under the current system (with new 9.5% rise) I pay nearly €600, under the new system it will be only €150.

Stinger. You'll still have to pay nearly €600 as the new system only applies to new cars.

WhatsGoingOn, I may have read the above wrong but from what I see, unless you change your car your Tax will be the €600 + 9.5%.

I'd say the increase will be in small dsl engines and small petrol engines with the bigger BHP. V.W. have a 1.4 petrol engine putting out 170bhp, that will suit the people that want the power with smaller costs.

will older jeeps have greater resale value because they have lower road tax?

Back