Microsoft Office Word 2007

Thanks for quick reply Gravitygirl. Is there a charge for the compatibility pack? This is what Microsoft led me to when I tried to open doc but didn't want to download it (as only have dialup) if there was a charge at the end of it. The website doesn't seem to state either way about paying for the compatibility pack.

I can't believe someone is teaching such an old version of Word .....it would make more sense to get them to upgrade their teaching materials to the latest version than have a class full trying to downgrade. Once you get used to Word, it's all pretty much the same...

Dell won't be able to change it as they will only load on current versions

I'd say the majority of people and companies are still using 2003.

Word/Office 2007 is very different. I'm using it, but still finding it hard to find my way around.

Recently for my Dads office I purchased some laptops from Dell, We purchased Office 2007 Ultimate as Dell had no 2003 Office to sell us!!!

What ever happened to choice?

However I was able to ask specifically for Windows XP Professional Operating System as Vista was just too much hassle retraining staff who are used to xp and i prefer this OS. I think its getting harder to do this also with some PC Manufacturers.

In my opinion if I had another choice besides microsoft as an OS I would use them however the monopoly they have with manufacturers is powerful.
Why dont Microsoft roll out these new OS more slowly give 3-5 Year time frame? Example it took 4 years for the new Office to be developed,
the same as Vista then give it time to develop a life of its own and iron out any issues?

I will shortly be upgrading from Excel 2000 to Excel 2007, both on XP based systems. Is it possible to also install the 2000 version without deleting the 2007 version? The lack of backwards compatibilty is mind-boggling and I do not want to get caught out.

Why have Microsoft done this?

Well it's been said that Microsoft's biggest competitor is... Microsoft itself! They need to keep selling software to make money, but everyone is happy with the software they have. I have no particular desire to update my Word, I don't even know what version it is. It does word processing just fine, and has all the features I need etc.. This is most unfortunate for Microsoft, so they 'encourage' people to upgrade by releasing new versions that are not backwards compatible.

So the short answer is that Microsoft have done this to make money.

That's it in a nutshell leghorn - its all about generating more and more income for Microsoft.

See [broken link removed]

That's it in a nutshell leghorn - its all about generating more and more income for Microsoft.

See [broken link removed]

I just had a look at Excel 2007 on my son's laptop - This post will be deleted if not edited immediately wept, it's incomprehensible!!!!

I had been planning on an Office 2000 to Office 2007 upgrade - based on the itwire.com article above, I am now thinking an upgrade to 2003 would make more sense.

I use VBA and macro's a fair bit so thats why I use Office. If I didn't I'd switch to Open Office. Pretty much the same thing for 90% of people.

Back