Michael Lynn interview on RTE

O

OverseasCafe

I believe Michael Lynn was interviewed on RTE Radio yesterday, but I can't get my hands on a copy of the interview.

Has anyone come across it?

I thought he was interviewed by the Daily Mail and this is what was played on the various radio stations yesterday?

Newstalk may have mentioned that it would be available on their site, but I can't find it.

I thought he was interviewed by the Daily Mail and this is what was played on the various radio stations yesterday?

Newstalk may have mentioned that it would be available on their site, but I can't find it.

Could well be CCOVICH, I heard the very end of it on Today FM and got the impression it was from RTE, but wasn't sure where it came from.

Apparently the interview was with the Mail but Marian Finnucane played some of it as well, see [broken link removed]. There are partial quotes on the site, not sure where they came from.

“I can’t return until I have the investors absolutely secured,” he said. He also indicated he was willing to go to prison for “one month, two months, three months”, though he added that he did not see why he should.

“I wouldn’t see any reason why I would have to go to prison and the one thing I want to make clear is that I am not going to be a scapegoat for others,” he said.

“I am not going to be used as an example of what was recognised as an acceptable form and practice of business by bankers, lawyers, accountants and auctioneers. I am not going to be the poster boy who ends up in prison to my cost alone.”

The Law society has given a response to the interview in yesterday's Times as well.

[broken link removed]

I still can't find the interview itself online though.

“I can’t return until I have the investors absolutely secured,” he said. He also indicated he was willing to go to prison for “one month, two months, three months”, though he added that he did not see why he should.

“I wouldn’t see any reason why I would have to go to prison and the one thing I want to make clear is that I am not going to be a scapegoat for others,” he said.

“I am not going to be used as an example of what was recognised as an acceptable form and practice of business by bankers, lawyers, accountants and auctioneers. I am not going to be the poster boy who ends up in prison to my cost alone.”

Just for the record it was not ever an acceptable practice amongst lawyers(and this is hopefully true of the others professions ML mentioned) to double and treble mortgage properties...if ML has now convinced himself that it was then on top of his other problems he is delusional as well. I knew ML many years ago in what now seems like another lifetime. He was a very nice ordinary guy. Clearly people change. I dont usually wish ill of or for anyone but it would give me and a lot of other lawyers great pleasure to see him locked up for a considerably longer period than he anticipated in this interview.

Found a link to the online interview from the Marian Finnucane show and a scanned version of the Mail on Sunday article by Michael O'Farrell. We've put the whole lot on our blog here.

I thought he was like a child who had convinced himself he had done nothing wrong. "I've been a little bit naughly but sure so was everyone else and I shouldn't be the only one to be blamed, and I don't like living out of a suitcase so can I come home now please". (I too knew Michael Lynn and a nicer more affable fellow you couldn't hope to meet). Whatever about the banks for whom I have no sympathy I'd sure he has made a mess of a lot of ordinary people's lives even if the Law Society is compensating them now.
And I guess he can be so arrogant about what he's done and about not beeing a scrapegoat as it seems no one is going to go to jail no matter what the mess in Ireland Inc and it's from a culture of this we breed the likes of Michael Lynn.
Incidentally I'd have no problem with going to jail for a couple of months if it meant I was millions richer.

I also knew ML but not in a personal capacity. He always looked for a favourable opinion (i.e. his way) or he would freak. He was also prone to ringing at odd hours looking for advice.

I thought he was like a child who had convinced himself he had done nothing wrong. "I've been a little bit naughly but sure so was everyone else and I shouldn't be the only one to be blamed, and I don't like living out of a suitcase so can I come home now please". (I too knew Michael Lynn and a nicer more affable fellow you couldn't hope to meet). Whatever about the banks for whom I have no sympathy I'd sure he has made a mess of a lot of ordinary people's lives even if the Law Society is compensating them now.
And I guess he can be so arrogant about what he's done and about not beeing a scrapegoat as it seems no one is going to go to jail no matter what the mess in Ireland Inc and it's from a culture of this we breed the likes of Michael Lynn.
Incidentally I'd have no problem with going to jail for a couple of months if it meant I was millions richer.

I agree, but to make things easier for him and to remove the stigma of being scapegoated I think the Department of Justice should prepare to re-open somewhere nice like Spike Island or the Curragh to intern he and any others who have commited white collar crime over the period of our recent boom. Misery loves company and all that.

I didn't know Michael Lynn. How do I get to join the Golden Circle - is there a handshake?

I forgot to add now that he wants to come home will he be bringing back any of the assets or cash he has no doubt squirrelled away in difficult locations for the court system here to get at. I would assume that's what he's been busy at, hiding it. I've a feeling that in his case the lawyers will be really gunning for him and will leave no stone unturned in bringing him down. I kinda feel bad for saying this as I did know him, but really his behaviour is beyond the beyonds and he has deeply wounded the reputation of solicitors.

Hmmm...... :p

Duplex,
its people like ML who make it easy for you to post as you have. If you were a solicitor like me who has never dipped a hand into the clients a/c nor even contemplated so doing and has always tried to do the best for clients and simultaneously make a nice living(no apologies) you would appreciate how much damage and hurt people like ML has done.

As to Foghorns post simply knowing someone does not make it a golden circle.

If he does come home I would estimate 3 to 5 years in gaol ultimately( there is a precedent with Mr. Malocco although he served a shorter sentence I think).

However for anyone who happened not to read the editorial in the same edition of the mail which carried the interview it beggars belief. While agreeing that ML should do time it then stated that if he was imprisoned while Sean Fitzpatrick remains free it would be a miscarriage of justice. By this logic no burglar in Ireland should do time while a murderer remained free.

I have long since given up expecting decent journalistic standards from certain newspapers but this takes the biscuit. And its this type of attitude( ahh everyone else is at it so I will too)that goes a long way to explain why people in high places dont lose their jobs in this fair country of ours.

However for anyone who happened not to read the editorial in the same edition of the mail which carried the interview it beggars belief. While agreeing that ML should do time it then stated that if he was imprisoned while Sean Fitzpatrick remains free it would be a miscarriage of justice. By this logic no burglar in Ireland should do time while a murderer remained free.

I have long since given up expecting decent journalistic standards from certain newspapers but this takes the biscuit. And its this type of attitude( ahh everyone else is at it so I will too)that goes a long way to explain why people in high places dont lose their jobs in this fair country of ours.

I disagree with you because it's not about comparing murder with burglary but white collar crime versus ordinary theft. Why should people go to jail for stealing from houses (petty theft) but those who recklessly bankrupt our country, hide money, switch money around accounts to deceive shareholders, steal from clients, pay little or no taxes, gamble with shares using loans guaranteed by the bank they work for get off scott free. They always seem to never be punished, apart from Malocco who else has done crime for any kind of white coller crime. So ML has a point why should he be the only one?

I agree with most of what you say. However the editorial was not comparing white collar v blue collar crime or white collar against ordinary theft( as you put it) it was comparing Lynn with Fitzpatrick..two examples of alleged white collar crime.

ML should not be the only one but the paper says it would be a miscarriage of justice if he did go to gaol while Sean Fitzpatrick did not. So to change my analogy slightly the editorial suggests the burglar who stole from 3 houses should not go to gaol(as it would be a miscarriage of justice) for as long as the burglar who stole from 30 houses remains free. Thats plainly ridiculous as was IMHO the papers editorial.

Sorry Madagan if I misunderstood you. I haven't read the article so I don't have all the details and the link above doesn't print out properly so I can have a read of it. In any case I wouldn't be ever expecting good journalistic standards from The Mail on Sunday.

And yes theft is theft of course whether it's ordinary or white collar. It will be interesting to see who has done the greater damage, the bankers or ML?

Well to the country as a whole definitely the top bankers who clearly lost the run of thenselves over the last few years, ML and a few of his cohorts have done untold damage to the legal profession ( and of course their clients and to the banks )but the amounts are smaller

But then again I think the bulk of the irish population(myself included) somewhat lost the run of ourselves just on a much smaller scale( isn't hindsight wonderful) but in the words of Fr. Dougal "I wont be doin that again, Ted"

I agree, but to make things easier for him and to remove the stigma of being scapegoated I think the Department of Justice should prepare to re-open somewhere nice like Spike Island or the Curragh to intern he and any others who have commited white collar crime over the period of our recent boom. Misery loves company and all that.

At this stage after all the damage that has been done by so called white collar criminals, I think that if some 'ordinary' criminal is forced to put up with Mountjoy and slopping out, I don't see why people found guilty of serious white collar crime, who by their actions have caused and will cause for the future immeasurable pain to all in this country, shouldn't have to suffer likewise. A country club situation of open prison or serving their time with others of their ilk is no punishment.
No , if Mountjoy is good enough for 'ordinary decent' criminals, then it is good enough for the golden circle gangsters!!!! Serious time served in Limk prison with some of the gangs might have a deterrant effect on future generations of would be fraudsters!!!

Brainne do you really think anyone at all will go to prison of whatever type. I think not. That's the point.

Back