Key Post MBNA are torturing me with phone calls over cc arrears

Just out of interest, and i'm sure it's no coincidence, I haven't had a single call from my indian friends in MBNA for about 10 days now (though I have had a letter).

Perhaps the adverse publicity has made them re-think their debt collection strategy.

Unfortunately I'm still getting calls! I've received 4 calls since my last post 2 weeks ago, as well as 11 missed calls from private numbers which I presume is also MBNA.

As I said in my last post, I'd made an agreement with them to pay off 100in arrears in Nov, yet they were still calling. Last Thurs the guy who rang again wanted payment over the phone. I told him I was sticking to the agreement and would as agreed make the payment in Nov, he pushed and pushed for WHEN! So I said Nov 5th, then told him I didn't want to be called again as I was sticking to the agreement and I've no idea why they are pestering me.

Yesterday evening I was coming in from my first day back in work, and answered phone to private number. When I heard it was mbna I refused to verify my details and told the guy I didn't want to speak to MBNA. He asked why and I told him I felt I was being harrassed, I was sticking to agreement, and also I'd told previous caller that I didn't want to be called again unless I broke the agreement! He said he would note that on the file. We shall see. I'm reluctant to tell them never to ring my number again in case they start phoning my dad again!

Ok rant over. I must send a complaint letter, just been so busy with baby and getting back to work.

Unfortunately I'm still getting calls! I've received 4 calls since my last post 2 weeks ago, as well as 11 missed calls from private numbers which I presume is also MBNA.

As I said in my last post, I'd made an agreement with them to pay off 100in arrears in Nov, yet they were still calling. Last Thurs the guy who rang again wanted payment over the phone. I told him I was sticking to the agreement and would as agreed make the payment in Nov, he pushed and pushed for WHEN! So I said Nov 5th, then told him I didn't want to be called again as I was sticking to the agreement and I've no idea why they are pestering me.

Yesterday evening I was coming in from my first day back in work, and answered phone to private number. When I heard it was mbna I refused to verify my details and told the guy I didn't want to speak to MBNA. He asked why and I told him I felt I was being harrassed, I was sticking to agreement, and also I'd told previous caller that I didn't want to be called again unless I broke the agreement! He said he would note that on the file. We shall see. I'm reluctant to tell them never to ring my number again in case they start phoning my dad again!

Ok rant over. I must send a complaint letter, just been so busy with baby and getting back to work.

Send them a letter by recorded delivery stating that you want to communicate with them in writing only and if they continue to keep phoning you or your dad then you will have to treat this as harassment and will report it to the relevant authorities.

Contact your telecoms provider and ask them for a new number.

All of the people that you wish to have your number can then be contacted with the new number and those that don't wont.

The Data protection act does not cover you if you have already given this information for a specific purpose, you cannot give permission and then withdraw it.

Unfortunately they are doing nothing illegal in the strictest sense of the law.

Once you change number and they are unable to contact you they will then send you letters, at that stage you can contact them when you wish to do so rather than the other way around. If and when you ring, keep your number hidden and tell them that you are calling from a friends phone as yours has been cut off.

There was an excellent programme on Dispatches recently about the lengths that Debt collections department will go to. Try and locate it and it will give you some idea as to what you are up against, forewarned is forearmed.

you cannot give permission and then withdraw it.
You certainly can. Whether they comply or not is another matter.
Getting a new number is an extreme move but it can be justified in these cases.
Once you change number and they are unable to contact you they will then send you letters, at that stage you can contact them when you wish to do so rather than the other way around. If and when you ring, keep your number hidden and tell them that you are calling from a friends phone as yours has been cut off.
I like it. :D

This is the Dispatches report but it applies to the UK - hope it opens for you.

[broken link removed]

Do not ever phone them as they will run rings around you and make you agree to terms that you cannot affort. Always put everthing in writing and record it as well. These people are not oppose to telling lies.

Also this may help it refers to the UK but it is about MBNA as well.

[broken link removed]

You may have to register with last link I posted above to allow you into the website but it is well worth doing it as it is very informative. It is free to register and you can ask other for advice which is also free.

Direct quote from Data Protection Acts 1988 + 2003, unfortunately three of the four bullet points could be used as a reason to refuse your objection.

"8. Right to object
A data controller may intend to use your details for official purposes, in the public interest or for their own interests. If you feel that doing so could cause you unnecessary damage or distress, you may ask the data controller not to use your personal details.
This right does not apply if:
• you have already agreed that the data controller can use your details;
• a data controller needs your details under the terms of a contract to which you have agreed;
• election candidates or political parties need your details for electoral purposes; or
• a data controller needs your details for legal reasons."

The changing of the number is the only guaranteed way of stopping the calls. Once you change that number then you are covered under the Data Protection Act and cannot ever be contacted at the number without express permission.

I still don't see why they can still continue if your inform them in writing that they may not continue to call you.

Re: mbna torturing me

I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties.

I realise this may not be much help to you if you haven't got the funds to do it but MBNA will probably settle for 50% of the debt without putting a black mark against your credit rating. My friend was able to settle with them on those terms.

Hi John Rambo

Would you mind telling me how your friend went about this/approached the credit card company to settle on these terms?

boo5556,

If you approach the company directly and tell them that you have a lump sum of money and ask how much will they discount the outstanding balance by they may well offer a discount without lodging it on the Credit Bureau.

If, however, you are already in arrears and they offer a settlement figure to you, they are entitled to and will note same on the ICB. This is in addition to any missed payments appearing on the ICB too.

Make sure everything is in writing before handing any money over.

When I was looking at my account on line yesterday I noticed you have an option of how you wish for them to contact you. If you'd rather they didn't contact you by telephone then choose either post or e-mail. Maybe this way they will stop relentlessly calling people over the phone.

Back