Key Post MBNA are torturing me with phone calls over cc arrears

MBNA Constanly hassling for payment

I am overdrawn on my MBNA credit card by almost €500. I have been receiving calls from them on a daily basis and each time I have paid the amount they wanted - the last payment was €180 2 weeks ago.

I thought that would give me some leeway to catch up with my other bills, trying to pay off €20-25 each week on gas, esb, phone, credit union, bank overdraft, family etc.

Yet I am constantly receiving calls and letters still from MBNA on a daily basis asking for payment by laser etc. I am doing my very best to meet my bills, but there's only so much coming in each week and I have no savings left or other means of income (on supplementary welfare now).

I see no hope for the future, I owe so much 00,000s, spent a lot of the weekend thinking about suicide.

Please help any advice.

Re: MBNA Constanly hassling for payment

Can your financial situation get any worse? I suspect that the answer has to be no. So stop worrying -- really. You can do no more than your best, and it looks like you are already doing that.

Set your priorities: feed the family; make sure you have heat and light; then your phone. Of course you will do this as economically as you can. Then look after your other creditors. In general, it is best to pay the creditor with the highest interest rates first, but you might consider paying a little off the others now and again simply to show them that you are trying.

When MBNA phone, keep your response short: "I'm doing my best" and then hang up. When they write, check to make sure it is not a court summons and put the letter aside. In due course, you might be summoned to court. If that happens, go along and explain your situation and how you have tried to do the best you can. Judges do not make impossible orders, and do not penalise people who are making an honest effort. In other words, what MBNA and your other creditors can actually do to you is fairly limited. So don't form the impression that they can destroy you -- it's simply that they can be very annoying, and if you can manage not to get annoyed, so much the better for you.

It's a tough situation, but others have been there before you, and have come through it. It might take a year or two or three, but so what? Hang in there, and don't feel guilty because you have had some bad luck.

You possibly need some mental discipline so that you can take your mind off your financial situation most of the time. When you get your weekly allowance, spend a few minutes deciding how to allocate it and deal with that. Then get on with life for another week, concentrating on the really important things like family, looking after yourself, and pursuing activities that cost nothing like reading, walking, cooking, gardening, watching television, reading askaboutmoney, and so on.

The future will come. It won't be worse. In time, it will be better.

Re: MBNA Constanly hassling for payment

First off you should remember that most things can be solved with a bit of time. MBNA are notorious for hassling customers. You are one of many people who they are ringing all the time. This is getting to you so you need to ignore the calls for now, and try and deal with the situation with some help. I recommend MABS, they are a service who will negotiate with those whom you owe money to. Have you spoken to someone about how you feel, this is really important. If you want further financial advice you will have to post more information on all your income and debt, you could try and money makeover section on this website to see if others can help you.

I would be too embarassed to post in the money makeover section cause I owe so much and have so little coming in and no savings left since I lost my job.
I have an appointment with MABS for the end of October which I hope will help.
Thank you for your kind advice, it's given me a little bit of optimism.

I would be too embarassed to post in the money makeover section cause I owe so much and have so little coming in and no savings left since I lost my job.
I have an appointment with MABS for the end of October which I hope will help.
Thank you for your kind advice, it's given me a little bit of optimism.

No need to be embarrassed, first of all no one here knows who you are, and second, you'll get great advice - if youre in dire financial straits then embarrassment should be the least of whats holding you back to get good advice!!!

Just make the post and come back later to check replies - the more detail the more help you'll get.

And totally forget about being embarrassed here - this is the internet, no one knows you!!!!

Coney I'm glad you've become a bit more optimistic and you are tackling things by asking on here and by having an appointment with MABS. These are positive steps. I know loads of people, my own family included, who have lost well paid jobs and are in debt. Part of dealing with debt is by facing up to it. We will never know who you are so do try and do the money makeover section, it will give you ideas on how to get out of your situation. It's better than sitting at home feeling worse and worse.

Thank you. I have to go out now I have an interview for a little part time job.

I will post more details later this pm.

I too ran into difficulties paying off an MBNA card a few years ago due to a period of unemployment.

I too experienced the constant harassing phone calls, letters, texts etc.

I had followed the steps that other posters mentioned earlier and was paying a set amount every fortnight so was making good progress in clearing the debt! My story goes one step further though!

This card was taken out in my name only and no-one else was mentioned in my application! However, I came home from work one day to be asked by my dad what the story was with my c.c! They had rang my home number and because I wasn't there proceeded to tell my dad the details of my account! How much was owed, when id made payments etc. They also asked him to speak to me and see if he could sort it out!

Luckily my dad gave me the money to clear the c.c and get rid of it!!

In hindsight i probably should have followed that up further but at the time i just wanted rid of them!

ger

How many years ago was this? If it was less than 6 years ago, you should still take it up with MBNA and complain to the Ombudsman. That is disgraceful behaviour.

Brendan

Oh dear...Looks like I am not the only one they are torturing!

I owe them about €6,000 and in a nutshell they cant get blood from a turnip!

You can only pay them what you can...its that simple!

Get them to send you a proof of income and expenditure form that you fill out and send back to them. Remember when you fill in this form. There are loads on that form that wont be listed :medical, other household bills, etc, too many to mention.

Ask them to stop calling you non stop and tell them that you are doing all you can.

Best of all, dont get stressed by it all or try not to as its not worth it!

Coney,

Please don't despair over this crowd.

I am in the worst position of my life financially. Me & my Husband are doing our best. He works 15 hour days to try & pay our bills & yet my MBNA credit card is the one that still causes me the most worry even though its only a drop in the ocean compared to our Bank Loan!

They have tortured me for so so long & even whenI am on time with my payments they still ring me & try & make me ''say'''when Im making my next months payment. Like they literally want a time & date & where/how!

Please take some comfort in knowing you are NOT alone in this situation, even though it may feel like it.

Im sorry I cant offer any financial advice but i just wanted to know that they seem to torture everyone that gets into trouble!

I was in a similar situation wih MBNA but in fairness to them, I found them fantastic to talk to when I eventually took my head out of the sand. Both myself & OH were in arrears with them. I spokn to them over the phone and gave them a run down of our financial situation after we both took wage cuts and bonuses/commission were cut off. They agreed to a reduced payment and stopped all the interest on the accounts.

Call them and have a financial statement ready with a full list of all incomes/outgoings and see what they can do to help.

I went down this road about 9 months ago and I'm once again having to go back to them to reduce the payments as OH has been let go, with no redundancy etc so we are living on the bare minimum with only €97 a month left to pay debts of over 50k

Many thanks for your help and advice, at least I know I'm not the only one in dire straits. I couldn't do a full money makeover, but here's my situation:

Had casual work until July but didn't qualify for JS as there was no reduction in my hours from previous year - therefore €90 pw. Lost my job in July.

Last payment from SW was in January so used all my savings, credit cards, bank overdraft etc to live. Now owe:

€12k credit union loan
€1.5k bank overdraft
€16k on all credit cards
€2k to family & friends
€600 gas & electric
€250 eircom (phone now disconnected)

Have now (only in the past 3 weeks) started to receive Supplementary Welfare Allowance €204 p.w. Claim still pending subject to means test.

Took in a lodger last week €75 pw inclusive of bills.

Got a job offer today, a few hours per week at €10 per hour for a couple of months I hope. Have accepted the job in the hope that it might lead to something better eventually.

I know I'm in dire straits, but thanks again for encouragement and advice.

My partner has an MBNA credit card & he forgot to pay one month. He got a phone call from someone saying that they were from MBNA asking for his Laser card no. but he told them where to go. Has this happened to anyone or was it a chancer?

Yes I've also had calls from them asking me to pay by laser if I go over the limit. I tell them I can't pay by laser so they want to know exactly when, where and how much you will pay. Then they may phone again the next day with the same issue!

Rois did they ask for the no. though. Partner roared down the phone at him and they haven't been in touch since.
Hate them. One of the most intimidating institutions about and Financial Regulator should be doing something about it.

I hope those of you who are having issues with MBNA are making official complaints.

Hi all, new to the forum and have a similar problem with MBNA.
The usual constant ringing from private numbers and mobiles, texts, letters, emails e.t.c..

I was paying them back a set amount each week. I got reduced to a 3 day working week so i wrote to them asking for a period in which they would freeze any penalties and interest so i could try and get my finances in order. I also asked for an original copy of my contract.
I received back a budget template which they want me to fill in and send back to them. They did send me a contract but it does not have my signature on it.
I have contacted MABS but have not got a reply back yet.

Any suggestions as this is getting me down as i have two other debtors on my back aswell

Mbna were the subject of gerry ryan this morning, well worth a listen to.. I'm sure you can listen to it on the website..

Back