Martin McGuiness for President?

McGuinness wont get enough votes to be elected, so not worth worrying about.

[broken link removed]

“And I do think some people in the media down here, some elements... need to think about peacemaking and how they make their peace with me.”

So, Martin McGuinness is the SF candidate for the Presidency of 'down here' :eek: ?

And there was me thinking Nordies were demeaning my country by referring it to as a geographic abstraction (The South, or Sythe as they say it). "Down here'' makes The Sythe should respectful :rolleyes:.

[broken link removed]

So, Martin McGuinness is the SF candidate for the Presidency of 'down here' :eek: ?

And there was me thinking Nordies were demeaning my country by referring it to as a geographic abstraction (The South, or Sythe as they say it). "Down here'' makes The Sythe should respectful :rolleyes:.

It's not like you'd ever hear anyone refer to 'The North' is it???:rolleyes:

And 'Nordies'? Seriously? It's as idiotic as referring to all people from The 26 counties (or sythe - can't say I've heard that before tbh) as Free Staters.

Why not just make Liz head of state? She's more popular down here and she's British as well. ;)

Tiocfaid ar la

Sorry ,Martin, your day has not yet come. Try in 50 years .

As my granny used to say. "You may shatter and break the vase if you will , but the scent of the roses will lie around still"

Sorry ,Martin, your day has not yet come. Try in 50 years .

As my granny used to say. "You may shatter and break the vase if you will , but the scent of the roses will lie around still"

Is Michael D your granny?

Ya know O think Joe and Joanne Public is going to suprise us by electing McGuinness if Norris doesn't get nominated.

The Norris nomination is crucial. If he doesn't get it, I could see McGuiness get a big first preference vote.
Hence the sudden urgency in support.

If Norris does not get nominated then there is a democratic failure in this country. Mattie McGrath basically holding the veto on wether a popular candidate does not get their name on the list is criminal to say the least.

If so then this election should be boycotted! ..... but lets reserve that until we see what happens by midday Wed.

If Norris does not get nominated then there is a democratic failure in this country. Mattie McGrath basically holding the veto on wether a popular candidate does not get their name on the list is criminal to say the least.

If so then this election should be boycotted! ..... but lets reserve that until we see what happens by midday Wed.

Mattie McGrath doesn't hold the Veto, he just happened to be the last to make his mind up (finally). As for popular, let's not forget that 3 out of 4 people surveyed did not want Norris as President.

yet at this stage he is commanding a significant % of potential voters - thats why he needs to be on the ballot. Mattie McGrath did hold a veto as it came down to the fact that if Norris was 1 vote short then Lowry (I think it was him anyway) would have given the last vote to get him through.

Mattie McGrath is full of contradictions...... his comments....
"I do respect Senator Norris as a politician," Deputy McGrath said.

"I know he made mistakes, but who hasn't?"

"My feeling is that in the interests of democracy - let the people of Ireland decide who should be President." ...... there you have it... let the people of Ireland decide he say...and yet he failed to nominate him. To me - thats a veto!

At the same time FG did itself no favors today with the South Dub CC blocked his vote - because the FG councillors vote.

Overall disgraceful behavior by many.

I think it is disgraceful that my County Council has backed him. I think it is disgraceful that he hasn't released the contents of all the other letters he wrote. I think it is disgraceful that he pulled out of the race but seems to have spent the time putting together a new campaign team after his previous team quit because of those letters. He seems to think that if he dropped put a while, the media storm would pass.

Let the people decide - isn't that what it's meant to be! Now its all about agenda's. Yes i know thats what politics is all about - but its outrageous.

I won't vote for him this time for the same reasons I wouldn't vote for him last time.

Let the people decide - isn't that what it's meant to be! Now its all about agenda's. Yes i know thats what politics is all about - but its outrageous.

The people are deciding. Political parties dont act in a vacum. If there was the public outrage that people seem to think there is over his exclusion, politians and councillors would have backed him. The parties are obviously not feeling the heat from the electorate on this issue. Mattie Mc Grath supported Norris First but was put back on his box by his voters.

Back