Martin McGuiness for President?

Ya know O think Joe and Joanne Public is going to suprise us by electing McGuinness if Norris doesn't get nominated.

That's the sense I'm getting from talking to people.
Fine Gael misplayed their hand over Norris the first time around.

Now by failing to see the implications of a Norris bar - as South Dublin and Cavan showed - they have opened the door for McGuinness.
It would serve the pro-Unionist Fine Gael shills right if their homophobic and slanderous utterances about David Norris rebounded and slapped them in their pious political faces.

That's the sense I'm getting from talking to people.
Fine Gael misplayed their hand over Norris the first time around.

Now by failing to see the implications of a Norris bar - as South Dublin and Cavan showed - they have opened the door for McGuinness.
It would serve the pro-Unionist Fine Gael shills right if their homophobic and slanderous utterances about David Norris rebounded and slapped them in their pious political faces.

Why should FG back another candidate when they are running their own? I was wondering how long it would take for someone to throw out the old homophobic argument. McGuinness is not going to win the race no matter who else runs.

The people are deciding. Political parties dont act in a vacum. If there was the public outrage that people seem to think there is over his exclusion, politians and councillors would have backed him. The parties are obviously not feeling the heat from the electorate on this issue. Mattie Mc Grath supported Norris First but was put back on his box by his voters.

...his voters? I thought it was his 'advisors'..... listening to him on the radio this morning he vindicated himself from 'their' decision.... can he not think for himself and do the right thing! Still disgraceful behavior

I would never vote for Martin McGuinness. All the same his main case is that if ever this country were to go to war he would be best placed to lead the troops. After all he is the only one in history who can claim to have actually defeated the Brits.

Alan Shatter's argument about our Presie being the commander in charge of our army is in fact McGuinness' USP.

...his voters? I thought it was his 'advisors'..... listening to him on the radio this morning he vindicated himself from 'their' decision.... can he not think for himself and do the right thing! Still disgraceful behavior

What have you done about getting Norris on the ballot paper since you feel so strongly about it?

Let the people decide - isn't that what it's meant to be! Now its all about agenda's. Yes i know thats what politics is all about - but its outrageous.

Then let's all run for President.

Why not let the guy from Carlow who was seeking the nomination and wanted to move the capital to Moate (since it's in the middle of the country) run?

Reality is that the Constititution lays down the law for what is required to be nominated to run for President. If Norris was elected, then he would be expected to uphold the Constitution, he (and his supporters) shouldn't bitch about it if they don't get the noimination.

Norris looked for clemancy for a middle aged man who had sex with an underage boy. I wonder if Norris had been a priest or a Fianna Fail senator would people be so in favour of him campaigning like this? There's an awful smell of hypocrisy in his campaign

Pro-Unionist? Is this a bad thing? :confused:

Can you expand on that ONQ?
On what basis did you form that opinion?

Bono....wherever you are...your country needs you :D

Last seen in Amsterdam in clogs talking things over with his tax advisors. Going" Dutch" has been the makings of him. More money to spend on self-promotion and lambasting other rich people who have the temerity to pay tax in their home countries.

Last seen in Amsterdam in clogs talking things over with his tax advisors. Going" Dutch" has been the makings of him. More money to spend on self-promotion and lambasting other rich people who have the temerity to pay tax in their home countries.

There's a song in there somewhere ;)

Still you have to hand it to the Shinners. From the widerness a few yrs ago to a strong "shot" at the Aras. Not bad going.

Still you have to hand it to the Shinners. From the widerness a few yrs ago to a strong "shot" at the Aras. Not bad going.

as opposed to actually having a real shot at Downing Street a few years back

After all he is the only one in history who can claim to have actually defeated the Brits.

I am sure he takes great comfort in that defeat of his while he is sitting up in Stormont, looking out over the statue of Edward Carson, voting on laws by license from Westminster, getting paid a wage with the Queen's head on it, paying tax to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, PSNI providing personal security to him and his family.

The man is a military hero!

I have to say it makes me laugh when people deride people who don't want to see McGuinness as President as failing to 'move on' from our past.

How on earth is electing a President who refused to come out and meet the Queen moving on from the past??

Norris looked for clemancy for a middle aged man who had sex with an underage boy. I wonder if Norris had been a priest or a Fianna Fail senator would people be so in favour of him campaigning like this? There's an awful smell of hypocrisy in his campaign

Couldn't agree more. Such as how asking for clemency by one candidate means they condone the crime too. But when a different candidate writes letters asking for clemency, it's ok and they don't support the crime.

But back on track with MMG and a semi-serious question; if he were President, could he give an official pardon to the murderers of Jerry McCabe?

their homophobic and slanderous utterances about David Norris

I'm getting tired of that card being played

You almost can't ask questions about Norris without being called a homophobe

The man never fought a difficult election in his life, strolling into the comfy TCD seat which only a few of us ever get to vote for. Part of the elite, the old boys network

If he ever pushed himself forward and tried for a Dáil seat all the stories we hear now would have come out before
But he stayed safe and the first difficult election he ever does, his advisors leave him, he quits, comes back and is still struggling

But sure, play the card

I would never vote for Martin McGuinness. All the same his main case is that if ever this country were to go to war he would be best placed to lead the troops. After all he is the only one in history who can claim to have actually defeated the Brits.

I was in Belfast yesterday and saw union jacks flying and had to use Sterling. Given that the aim of the IRA was a united Ireland, I'd say McGuiness failed miserably

Back