Margaret Cash: "I don't expect anything from the government"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like a nurse or doctor or teacher or social worker who gets paid their salary, despite their employer not having enough money to house homeless people?

Comparing the work of those professions to landlords who charge market rents beyond what tenants can afford in their incomes is a joke.

Sometimes so called landlords are very ordinary people who have been through the wringer themselves and have had to back up the rent they get, with their own money, to pay their mortgage, unlike Ms Cash who thinks she's entitled to everything for nothing. Actually demands it.

Im not refusing anything. Merely pointing out the anomalies in the article and the misleading detail.
If you can accept that the detail is inaccurate and misleading then perhaps we can discuss what it is that she likely receives.
If you cannot accept the inaccuracies and still want to persist with the headline then there is not point in carrying on.
There's actually nothing incorrect in the article. Nowhere does it say that is what Mrs Cash actually receives (which seems to be your main issue 'but aha, she doesn't actually get heat allowance because she's in a B&B, therefore this entire thread is based on a false premise') - the heading is 'Single mother with seven children in Dublin (5 in school)'. Posters appear to think this is too much (equating to a salary of 90K+), particularly when you compare to, say a working family on 50K with 3 children.

There's actually nothing incorrect in the article. Nowhere does it say that is what Mrs Cash actually receives (which seems to be your main issue 'but aha, she doesn't actually get heat allowance because she's in a B&B, therefore this entire thread is based on a false premise') - the heading is 'Single mother with seven children in Dublin (5 in school)'. Posters appear to think this is too much (equating to a salary of 90K+), particularly when you compare to, say a working family on 50K with 3 children.

"Working family" being the significant difference

There's a lot that's wrong in the article. e.g.

Neither 85% nor 100% of €198 amounts to €6.88.

The €11,760 annual Child benefit payment Ms. Cash receives is the same as if she were the CEO of a large multi-national with 7 children.

If she and her partner were together and between them they earned the average industrial wage, they'd still be entitled to certain allowances from the State.

Would anyone care to do the sums to calculate her net draw from the State over and above that situation?

There's a lot that's wrong in the article. e.g.

Neither 85% nor 100% of €198 amounts to €6.88.

The €11,760 annual Child benefit payment Ms. Cash receives is the same as if she were the CEO of a large multi-national with 7 children.

If she and her partner were together and between them they earned the average industrial wage, they'd still be entitled to certain allowances from the State.

Would anyone care to do the sums to calculate her net draw from the State over and above that situation?

The difference being though that if they earned the average industrial wage they would be contributing to the state with taxes so I would hazard a guess that their net draw from the state is even higher than shown here.

Ahm! Everything.

Just two points on this, and I do not really want to be drawn into Ms Cash's personal situation

1. I would be willing to bet a serious amount of money that there is no CEO of a large multi-national in Ireland with 7 children. I think you will struggle to find any professional or middle class family with 7 children in Ireland. The latest statistics on this that I have seen show that middle class parents tend to put off having children until they are older and have less children in general.
2. The issue here is the system that for some obscure reason encourages people to have more and more children. I understand all about replacing populations etc to keep the pyramid scheme going, but this only works when the kids are contributors to the system. Child Benefit should be (a) reduced and the funds directly provided to schools to ensure they are properly funded and provide everything the child needs to get an education, from books to copies to uniforms etc and (b) should be capped after 2 or worst case 3 children.
The notion of paying people to have kids is madness in the first place, and if the state wants to do something in this area it should properly fund the education system from pre-school all the way to university rather than giving handouts to parents each month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back