Macbook or conventional laptop?

Thank you all for your advise/input.overall looks like Mac gets the thumps up!?I sure will check the apple store in new york while I am there next week.

Thank you all for your advise/input.overall looks like Mac gets the thumps up!?I sure will check the apple store in new york while I am there next week.

Yeah the store on 5th avenue beside central park is a great store and the staff are great. As with all things Apple it looks good too !!

The Aplle aluminium is the latest release of the Macbook. I got one 2 weeks ago and love it. So thin compared to my other one and as usual, no problems !!!

But why would you want to. The majority of people who buys Macs do so to get away from windows !!!

I agree. My point is that if you have one or two must-have applications that only run under Windows, that doesn't mean that the mac is not an option.

Yeah the store on 5th avenue beside central park is a great store and the staff are great. As with all things Apple it looks good too !!

The Aplle aluminium is the latest release of the Macbook. I got one 2 weeks ago and love it. So thin compared to my other one and as usual, no problems !!!

Try the one in Soho also - usually a lot less crowded with tourists than the 5th Avenue one. Staff in both are really helpful...although they do keep trying to get you to drink their special Kool-Aid :D

I agree. My point is that if you have one or two must-have applications that only run under Windows, that doesn't mean that the mac is not an option.

Haven't had that problem yet. I've found something to suit all the way along......so far anyway.

The latest Macs run Windows natively (and it runs better than on many PCs). No need for a virtual machine.

Got my macbook in new york and made huge savings!
how do i install windows on mac?I use VOIPcheap to make international calls and havent been successful running it on mac.do i have to buy some softwae for that(windows)

True, but to run Windows apps on a Mac, you need a another licensed copy of Windows. I've a Mac for a nearly a year now and find I'm using my PC less and less. The Mac's boot-up time is amazingly quick and it plays high-definition video without a hiccup. The PC on the other hand is slow to boot and even with the a high-performance video card is buggy as hell. I really think Windows has lost the plot.

True, but to run Windows apps on a Mac, you need a another licensed copy of Windows.. .
No you don't. You can install any one of a number of "host application environments" that allow you to install and run windoze (or Linux) applications under Mac OS X without the need for the Windoze OS (or Linux).

These are open-source or commercial developments based on Wabi / Wine [broken link removed])

Ther's a repository of applications etc. here - http://www.winehq.org/

Got my macbook in new york and made huge savings!
how do i install windows on mac?I use VOIPcheap to make international calls and havent been successful running it on mac.do i have to buy some softwae for that(windows)

Why not use Skype instead? You can also make Skype calls to conventional phones and mobiles for very little money.

I would have thought this is preferable to getting Windows, and it's free!

Hi Boi!,
Im in exactly the same position as yourself. I have 1500 euros to buy a laptop. Im a bit sick of windows due to reasons pointed out by other persons here. What im wondering is whats the story with the apple site? the price of the laptop inflates so much by customising it to ones satisfaction. All these add ons are expensive which leads me to the question - what are beneficial and what are unnecessary. What i enjoy is collecting & playing around with family /holiday / friends photos. What is essential is that i can still for business reasons connect to Outlook which is run off a server in the office. My business is small and the volumne of emails i receive on my outlook is small but important all the same..Also is it work buying in the north given the difference in the price on the apple.co.uk site V apple.ie
As you can tell by my terminology im not computer person but ide love realiability and simplicity....

Thanks in advance,
Pat

Also is it work buying in the north given the difference in the price on the apple.co.uk site V apple.ie
Indeed. So blatant.
I got a macbook air in the UK and saved about €600. The price difference is crazy.

Is the 13" Mac too small a screen?

Any 1 get annoyed after purchasing 1?

Takes a bit of getting used to alright if you've only used clunky 15" plus Windows laptops before, but after a couple of days the overall usability, design and reliability makes you forget all about it.

Hi Boi!,
Im in exactly the same position as yourself. I have 1500 euros to buy a laptop. Im a bit sick of windows due to reasons pointed out by other persons here. What im wondering is whats the story with the apple site? the price of the laptop inflates so much by customising it to ones satisfaction. All these add ons are expensive which leads me to the question - what are beneficial and what are unnecessary. What i enjoy is collecting & playing around with family /holiday / friends photos. What is essential is that i can still for business reasons connect to Outlook which is run off a server in the office. My business is small and the volumne of emails i receive on my outlook is small but important all the same..Also is it work buying in the north given the difference in the price on the apple.co.uk site V apple.ie
As you can tell by my terminology im not computer person but ide love realiability and simplicity....

Thanks in advance,
Pat

If you're buying the plastic macbook, buy the standard one and upgrade yourself. It's very easy and only requires a size 00 screwdriver to upgrade the RAM and Hard Drive yourself, and it doesn't void the warranty. They are hidden in the battery compartment. Apple is well known for overcharging for extras, and you can get the components cheaper yourself.

I think the aluminium ones have built in batteries, and don't think they're as easy to upgrade.

If you plan on linking any of them up to external monitors, the adaptors are a must.

yes, I agree with Sherman, you get used to screen size in a couple of days. I have a 24" iMac in work & a 13" MacBook at home, got used to both in a couple of days. The MacBook is great, I wouldn't buy the MacBook Pro just for the screen size alone, if you are happy with the spec on the MacBook, dont let the scren size put you off.

Thx Guys.
When you lift the 15" it seems a lot bigger and heavier with the screen opened.
The DELL screen on their 15" laptop has a better solid hinge.
But the MAC 13 " it will be.

Just got my new Macbook this afternoon after my Dell gave up completely last week. Looking forward to getting stuck in.

Back