Macbook or conventional laptop?

I got a mac over May 2007 and it is still working perfectly. (before that I had a HP laptop which cost the same and lasted a mere 8 months before giving trouble) I got it with a student discount if you know anyone in college/ 2nd level maybe they will do you a favour as you do save a lot.
If buying in NY is still an option then I would recommend B and H.

You can run windows on a mac which does allow pc games. I did that in the beginning for about a year until I decided to do away with the pc side. Having the laptop dual booted is an easy way of easing yourself into the changes of a mac while still having the familiarity of a pc as well. I have yet to find one draw back with my mac. I can get the same programs that I would have used on a pc to work on a mac and there are several mac only programs that beat pc hands down.

I don't plan on upgrading any time soon but when I do it will be another mac.

Actually it's been shown time and time again that this is not the case. Here's one example:

[broken link removed]

Time and time again those comparisions are bogus.

For example one of the Dells they bought in that article for $1358 (its a US article) I bought here in Ireland for €550. Theres no way I'd get a MacBook at that. Most of those PC vs Mac comparisons ignore all the discounts and offers that you can get and buy the PC at rip off prices. You can't shop around for Mac as the price is fixed. Even the Apple outlet has hardly any discount.

People with constant PC problems, Spyware etc.

I'm always puzzled at these kinda comments. I work in IT and the vast majority of people have no problems with Windows or PC's like this. Equally working in IT you end being asked about IT questions from family and friends and there again most people have no problems and run a computer for 3 to 4 yrs with no problems. Crashes are rare tbh. If you are getting riddle with spyware, and having constant crashes you've got to ask what are ye doing. Because thats not normal. Also I find it bit hard to accept tech recommendations from people who struggled to use a PC. No offense intended.

That said Mac's are great. I've used them since the blank and white compact mac's. in the early 1990's. But like others I've always needed to use a PC at the same time. So happy with both. At the moment I'd avoid buying a PC for the techophobes until Windows 7 comes out. Its a vast improvement over Vista. If you don't like Windows, or just like Mac's just buy one. They are great.

Back