LPT: Revenue Property Valuation Guide (The Heatmap) now live

I live in two bed house in my fathers farmyard he would not allow sale, so what value will I use for lpt.

If the house isn't yours you're not liable for the property tax. If it is yours, nobody can stop you selling it.

Looks like Eamo built a property on the fathers land. Very tricky. If it cannot be sold separately that it has no value, but it would presumably add value to the main house.

They may devote a great deal of time and money but we cannot say the result is good service. A commitment statement just tells us why they exist. It isn't proof of efficiency, value or good service.

That's at odds with the commitment given on their website.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/customer-service.html
Our Commitment to Quality Service

Revenue devotes a great deal of time and effort to providing a top quality service to our customers. We have a responsibility to provide clear information and to make dealing with us as easy as possible.
By providing even better customer service and more taxpayer education and help, we aim to help all of our customers pay the right amount of tax and duty at the right time. We want to ensure that our customers know about their entitlements and to make claiming them simple and straightforward.

That commitment is all well and good but it does not amount to a duty of care. There are no adverse consequences for Revenue or staff members where a "customer" overpays tax as a result of incorrect or inappropriate advice dispensed by them to the "customer".

They may devote a great deal of time and money but we cannot say the result is good service.
Where did I say any such thing?
A commitment statement just tells us why they exist.
No, I think you're thinking of a mission statement (The Mission Statement of Revenue is: 'To serve the community by fairly and efficiently collecting taxes and duties and implementing Customs controls.') - a commitment statement is just that, it explicitly states a commitment.
It isn't proof of efficiency, value or good service.
Again I never suggested it is? That's for the Comptroller & Auditor General to decide surely.

Property tax

This is a reconstructed cottage, no main house ,father would not allow anyone else access through yard,no seperate entrance

Mandelbrot, the question was on duty of care to which you quoted customer service.

What question are you talking about? I wasn't answering any question.

TMcGibney made a statement
Revenue's interest here, and elsewhere, is to maximise the amounts collected in tax. They have no duty of care in relation to their "customers'" tax minimisation & tax planning.

I made a statement
That's at odds with the commitment given on their website.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/customer-service.html
Our Commitment to Quality Service

Revenue devotes a great deal of time and effort to providing a top quality service to our customers. We have a responsibility to provide clear information and to make dealing with us as easy as possible.
By providing even better customer service and more taxpayer education and help, we aim to help all of our customers pay the right amount of tax and duty at the right time. We want to ensure that our customers know about their entitlements and to make claiming them simple and straightforward.

The mission statement is to fairly and efficiently collect taxes - this is consistent with the aim of collecting the right tax at the right time as set out in the customer service statement. There is no agenda of maximisation AFAIK, except to maximise collection of tax that is properly due i.e. the amount due under the tax legislation. It's not as if Revenue staff are on commission! :D

This is a reconstructed cottage, no main house ,father would not allow anyone else access through yard,no seperate entrance

Do you legally own the cottage and the land it sits on? If so, you are liable for the tax. However, if it has no right of access from a road, I would say it's probably unsaleable. Since the LPT is based on market value, I presume that would put it in the lowest band for tax. Interesting (and possibly unique) situation. Perhaps you need a valuer to advise.

Ghost Estate Local property tax exemption list

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,32636,en.pdf

I am just waiting for DAFT or MYHOME to introduce a facility where houseowners can publish which band they intend to value their house in. That would give people the confidence that their valuation is supported others around them.

If they do, it will be a coup. It will generate huge traffic to their sites.

Well spotted Clubman. I edited my post but I am caught out by those damn quotes.

Based on the Revenue site my house is valued at €850k. This should put a Property Tax valuation of my property at €765 for this half year (€1530 for the year). The letter I received today is asking for €940 tax for the half year or €1880 for the full year. That's a difference of €350 per annum. Quite a difference between their own guide and the letter received.

Based on the Revenue site my house is valued at €850k. This should put a Property Tax valuation of my property at €765 for this half year (€1530 for the year). The letter I received today is asking for €940 tax for the half year or €1880 for the full year. That's a difference of €350 per annum. Quite a difference between their own guide and the letter received.

Firstly, based on the site, your charge this year would either be €742 (801k - 850k band) or €787 (850k - 900k). There is no facility for you to pay / be charged €765.
(http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/liability.html)

The map contains averages for the electoral areas; your letter has a slightly more location-specific estimate, based on Geodirectory information about proximity to amenities etc...

Just to be clear the letter you got today DOES NOT ASK for that amount of money from you - it asks you to place a valuation on your house and file a return accordingly. If, and only if, you fail to file a return will Revenue then seek to enforce collection of the amount stated on your letter, in the absence of you having provided them with a valuation.

So, the website offers indicative information about average values in your electoral area, and your letter has a slightly more location-specific average figure on it, but neither of them are a valuation of your house - it's up to you to decide on a figure for your specific property.

The map contains averages for the electoral areas; your letter has a slightly more location-specific estimate, based on Geodirectory information about proximity to amenities etc...

Who compiles the Geodirectory information? Can anyone gain access to this data? I would love to know why my house is valued more than a house 50 yds away from me that is the same size but different style.

My calculations were based on €850k x .18% rather than band valuation. Thanks for pointing this out. No doubt the bands will be played around with in future years as will the .18% calculation.

My actual demand is for €938. This is a strange figure. It seems to value my property at €1,031,000. Properties valued at over €1m seem to be specific to the value multiplied by .18% and are outside of any band. So I don't even get the benefit of being within a €50k band?

Back