LPT: Cranky old guy writes letter to Revenue LPT as reported by the journal.ie

DerKaiser

Interesting article, particularly the comments:
http://www.thejournal.ie/pensioner-property-tax-letter-angry-864273-Apr2013/?com_ord=thumbs#comments

Any thoughts?

The most striking observation for me is that one comment points out "The guy is threatening violence. Disgraceful." This comment receives over five hundred dislikes. I feel slightly worried by the whole reaction. The public seem very tolerant of threatening language so long as it is anti-establishment.

How acceptable is it for some junior staff member in revenue to open up a letter like this saying "I have nothing more to give except my life but before I give that up I will take as many of you *******s with me as I can". Try saying that in a US airport and see what happens next!

At the other end of the spectrum is the misty eyed "His generation paid for the the railway lines, the water system and that’s just for starters.He paid 60 pence in the pound to the state, building a state to be proud of. The mismanagement of his legacy disgusts me. Everything they slaved for is gone, and for what?" garnering over three hundred likes. There is a strong element of naivety here in that people are quickly willing to take the side of someone they know nothing about. No references needed, all that's required is some gripe with the establishment.

Interesting article, particularly the comments:
http://www.thejournal.ie/pensioner-property-tax-letter-angry-864273-Apr2013/?com_ord=thumbs#comments

At the other end of the spectrum is the misty eyed "His generation paid for the the railway lines, the water system and that’s just for starters.He paid 60 pence in the pound to the state, building a state to be proud of. The mismanagement of his legacy disgusts me. Everything they slaved for is gone, and for what?" garnering over three hundred likes. There is a strong element of naivety here in that people are quickly willing to take the side of someone they know nothing about. No references needed, all that's required is some gripe with the establishment.

his generation did...simple as

his generation did...simple as

Rubbish!
They elected incompetent politicians on the basis of parish-pump self interest and were the driving force behind a country which stagnated for decades. Their economic, fiscal and managerial incompetence gave us a grossly inefficient state infrastructure, a shoddy banking sector, a bloated public sector (relative to our size and demographic needs) and pro-cyclical economic oversight that led to economic collapse and the biggest property crash in history. The people who are now in their 70’s and 80’s are the people who were at the helm when this country was run onto the rocks between the mid 90’s and 00’s. They are the authors of our destruction. The book stops with them.
They didn’t build this country, they wrecked it.

The current generation of leaders isn’t much better.

I look at the teenaged kids I know and they are far better than what’s gone before. They will do a far better job than my generation of the one ahead of me that’s at the helm now.
The “grumpy old men” should be apologising to the under 20’s, not bleating on about all they’ve done.

i was'nt talking about our politcal leaders, i was talking about people who worked all their lives ,paid huge amounts of tax , had to fight hard for everything and who are pensioners now.

i was'nt talking about our politcal leaders, i was talking about people who worked all their lives ,paid huge amounts of tax , had to fight hard for everything and who are pensioners now.

They are the people who elected the leaders and were too stupid/ ignorant/ blinded by civil war politics/ corrupt/ unethical etc to use their vote to elect competent and/or honest politicians.
The black economy was never stronger than in the 80's and corruption was rife throughout all facits of society.
This is the generaltion that ignored and covered up clerical sex abuse.
This is the generation that thought homosexuality should be a crime.
This is the generation that forbad divorce.

compaired to what? ....the honest ethical competent politicians we elect today!! dont make laugh. pensinors had to fight tooth and nail for everthing...something this generation has nether the courage or backbone to do. they still put us to shame!

compaired to what? ....the honest ethical competent politicians we elect today!! dont make laugh.

Believe it or not, the standard of Irish politicians has improved in every respect since the 1980s. Today's politicians, at all levels, are subject to a level of public and media scrutiny that their 1980s counterparts wouldn't have imagined in their worst nightmares.

You mean the same people who benefited hugely from the property boom which largely resulted in large transfers of wealth from the younger generation to the older generation? The same people who's children will be repaying their mortgages into their 60s and 70s, compared to their own generation who finished their mortgages in their 50s. The same people who know that their own children, while having comparable jobs and probably having both partners working will have little hope of owning a decent home in a decent location within a decent lifetime?

Back