Looking for career change,dont know what?

Maybe it's not being used in the literal sense but more of a reference to 'long term vision'

Like "seeing the bigger picture", "thinking outside the box"...and all those other toecurling phrases ;)

People think and therefore learn in differing ways e.g visually, kinesthetically, orally etc. The ability to think in 3D (or even 2D) would lead to the conclusion that the person thinks/learns visually and therefore a career in a field which uses this faculty would be a good fit.

I don't get how this is making money from gullible punters.:confused:

I don't get how this is making money from gullible punters.:confused:
Well, that's what this sounds like to me anyway:
a friend of mine saw him about 3 years ago and she had been through 2 career changes already!!!!! He advised her to do something artistic with property - as she has three D vision. He said if she had spoken to him 10 years previous he would have told her to do architecture, however he advised her to get into frame making - from there she went into property!!!!
How do they measure this "3-D thinking ability" anyway?

It probably refers to the ability to visualise objects in the imagination which is useful for drawing or using AUTOCAD 3D design software etc .

Hi Sign I think you are spot on here - as he did say to my friend that if she was 17 and starting out he would have told her to do architecture..

Well, that's what this sounds like to me anyway:
Hi Clubman, this was not some random guy that I found in the golden pages, at the time I first went to him he was a guidance counciller in TCD.

I found him spot on, honest and thourough in his testing - which went over 2 days and advise - subsequently I have refered other friends to him and all bar one found him to be excellent.

Hi Clubman, this was not some random guy that I found in the golden pages, at the time I first went to him he was a guidance counciller in TCD.
The fact that he is/was employed by TCD makes him no better/worse than any other person in this field, whether they are found in the golden pages or otherwise.

*I do have to add, I have had a lot of interaction with the CAS (Career Advisory Service) in TCD as a student, an alumni and in graduate recruitment roles for my current employer and have always found the service of a very high standard.

What he may have been referring to is "spacial ability", i.e. the ability to mentally imagine things in 3 dimensions.

It is an ability (which I am glad to possess) that allows you to view drawings, e.g. 2D plan, elevation, and end view, and visualise the object in 3D, including rotating it mentally.

Another example would be to view a drawing of two objects and have the ability of rotating them to see how they would fit in any orientation (sort of like mental tetris).

Very handy skill in a lot of fields, though don't know how it would help in frame-making.

Like "seeing the bigger picture", "thinking outside the box"...and all those other toecurling phrases ;)

:D

"Heads Up"...."Going forward"..."getting all the ducks in a line"..."moving goalposts"...some of the ones doing the rounds in here driving me CRAZY!!

:D

"Heads Up"...."Going forward"..."getting all the ducks in a line"..."moving goalposts"...some of the ones doing the rounds in here driving me CRAZY!!

I've seen so many articles in the Sunday newspapers where they overuse these phrases along with irrelevant imagery the result being the article actually spends more time showing off the journalists knowledge of methaphors, history and knowledge of who Icarus (Greek mythology) is than actually giving us any information. Sometimes I wonder if they havent yet grown out of english class essay writing for the leaving cert.

Personally hate "window of opportunity and "going forward". Loathe "copperfasten" and "at this point in time".:mad:

Wonder if anyone can give me pointers or steer me in the right direction?

You know there are people who have known what they want to do since they were 5 years old?? Well Im in my late 30's and still have no idea!!! :)

I have a professional qualification and have been working in my profession since I was 22,career gone well,decent salary,own my own home(along with my own mortgage) but have never really got job satisfaction and am in a real rut! As luck would have it I will be leaving my current employment in next 3 months and this would be as good a time as any to mak the change IF I had any idea what I want to do.
I am a little cynical about most life coaches but would love to figure out where (if anywhere) my talents and skills would be useful. Any suggestions as to how I might figure things out. I will probably end up doing something very similar to what I do now but honestly the thought of still doing what I do now in 20 years time is sucking the will to live out of me.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Am actually in a similar situation Madangan - my crazy idea was this:

Find out what the country has shortages of (in terms of professions/skills etc) Find out if any of these sound interesting and if so, find out if the requisite skills/knowledge can be gained through part time study - preferably evenings. If you are already a graduate (regardless of discipline) this might be easier than it sounds. With the above approach you will at least be considering a field for which there is demand.

Maybe this is over simplistic? Am finding it hard to discover what the country needs anyway...

I wouldn't worry about what the country has a shortage of. For a start the sortages flucuate over time... I'd concentrate instead on what it is you want to do and work around that.

Part-time study can be an excellent way of helping you achieve your goals. Have you checked out this site from the University of London? The undergraduate degrees are conducted via distance learning and the fees seem very reasonable.

Personally hate "window of opportunity and "going forward". Loathe "copperfasten" and "at this point in time".:mad:

Yeah, also despise "you're wrong again!" and "uh ohh, u really f**ked it up this time...."

If you find out what the country has shortages of, and pick a career this way, it is still no guarantee of getting a job.

Case in point: My sister did an office procedures course last year. Her friend did a health & fitness course. My sister couldn't get an office job from this, and has to return to college to study again this year. Her friend got a job straightaway as a fitness instructor, worked there for nearly a year, and has just moved to her second job.

You would imagine with all the offices in Ireland, it would be easier to get an office job than a fitness instructor job.

I studied business in college, thinking it would be easy to get general office work, and then go into accounting/marketing. My cousin did radiography in college. She got work straightaway, and is earning good money in a permanent job, whereas I had temping work for 2 yrs after college, and I'm still not earning great money.

:confused:

But from what I've heard fitness instructors and especially radiographers, are in demand and have been for a few years - so no surprises there.

It sounds like your case in point illustrates my strategy in action?!

If you find out what the country has shortages of, and pick a career this way, it is still no guarantee of getting a job....

Theres a lot of mis information given out about jobs by agencies, colleges and the govt. So its hard t get an accurate picture. I'd say go by the people you know, or have contact with.

Just a few opinions.

Some areas that will grow.

Personal services, and we're not talking those personal services will be very big. Lets see, wealth management, concierges and personal assistants doing the awkward tasks the customer doesn't want to do as they're too rich.

In IT :- project management, security.

All manner of Finance jobs will be still here in many years time.

Areas that were down when I left school e.g. architecture, law are now top earners, but law is beginning to become saturated.

I.T. is still doing well as many young Irish are turning their nose up at it after the bad recession of the early years of the new century. Programming will be a minority pursuit here in a few years and a lot of programmers will have to move on the project management and business analysis.

What has always been a bad idea is to base university choice on the current trend. It may not be in five years time.

Learn a language too maybe. A year abroad might help to make your mind up.

All off the top of my head... Best of luck.

Back