Looking for a ghost writer to help me with my book

cleverclogs7

I'm doing an autobiography and need to find a ghost writer to tuoch it up and help me along the way.Anyone know where i can such a person.

I'm doing an autobiography and need to find a ghost writer to tuoch it up and help me along the way.Anyone know where i can such a person.

Can we run a competition to guess who you are? The winner gets a signed copy.

(Signed by the author that is, not you...)

no agent.i sent 2 chapters off to two publishers who like it and want to see a finished product.Which is why i want to have it done properly and send it off in cd form.

Sounds to me like what you're really looking for is a proof-reader / copy-editor rather than a ghost-writer. Ghost-writers (for autobiographies) do virtually all the writing based on background material, interviews with the subject, their family / friends / associates.

what dreamerb said, also you should use the correspondence from the publishers to get yourself an agent as the publishers will not have your best interest at heart.

But surely the publisher will have to appoint an over-seeing editor in any case. Apart from basic grammar, consistency and flow, they need to have the MS checked for any potentially litigous content. No disrespect cleverclogs7, all authors need this kind of check done, but biographers in particular need to be ultra-careful, as they don't have the luxury of the "any similarities to persons living or dead are purely coincidental" dis-claimer.

Congratulations and I look forward to seeing your work on the best-sellers lists.

That's a bit harsh. If a book is being published, there is a considerable convergence of interests between author and publisher on most things.
most things yes but not money and I wouldn't recommend a first time author to just stroll into a publisher and take the first offer on the table, an agent could arrange a bidding battle.
the OP seems to be in a strong position as 2 publishers are interested, before doing further work an agent could secure an advance from a publisher that could enable the OP to give up work and concentrate full time on the book and a number of other benefits.

holy god.Now im mixed up.what the heck do i need first.Editor,proof reader ????
I wanted to have a ghost writer because.what i have done so far is in plain and simple english.I would like to have a ghost writer sit with me and i tell him/her EVERYTHING .he/she takes notes asks questions and puts it into book form.then i have it edited or proof read.The book is about myself of course(skeletons in the closet)my travelling,abusive past,illness and so on.

Traffort i think was the name of one publisher who saw 2 chapters and said "this could well be turned into a movie"But at 25cent a word i think a professional writer would be best in the long run.

Cleverclogs Trafford publishing are a vanity publisher as far as I know so without wanting to burst your bubble I think they are hugely positive about everything they see so the author will pay to have the book 'published' by them. They are not a conventional publisher in the sense that they pay an advance then look after the marketing, getting into bookshops etc.
Good luck with your book but be careful with vanity and self-publishing companies as most of the time they are only out to make money from newbie writers. Better to approach the likes of Penguin or Gill and macmillan in Ireland who are real publishers.

... Traffort i think was the name of one publisher who saw 2 chapters and said "this could well be turned into a movie"...
Its not a book yet but could eventually be a screen-play? Or it should never be a book but be written as a screen-play?

I'm not surprised you're confused.

A friend of mine is a fledgeling author (one self-published book, another touring the agents at the moment), and is a member of the absolute write forum (). It's a US based site, but might have suggestions for you on the work you need to finish/edit/tidy up the book?

I work in this area and this is what I'd advise:

1. Agent. You can see if an agent is interested in representing you. There are really only about 4 literary agents in Ireland: Joanthan Williams, Faith O'Grady (Lisa Richards Agency), Marianne Gunne O'Connor, Ita O'Driscoll (Font Literary Agency). Contact their offices to see what their submission policy is, probably they'll want to see a synopsis and a sample chapter. If they like the concept and can see the potential in your story, despite any shortcomings in your own writing skills they will take you on and match you up with a ghostwriter( ghosts help authors in lots of different ways. Some write the whole book based on interviews etc, some help the author to write it themselves, there are no hard and fast rules, each case is different).

An agent will approach publishers on your behalf and negotiate a contract for you. They will take 10- 15% as a fee.

2. Approaching publishers directly: In Ireland this is what usually happens. Check out www.publishingireland.com for a list of Irish publishers and the types of work they publish. From what you've said I would suggest Gill & Macmillan, O'Brien Press, Mercier Press, Merlin, Poolbeg, Hachette and possibly Maverick House. Find out what their submission policy is or call up and ask to speak to the commissioning editor for non-fiction. Again, if they see the potential they will help you find a ghost. You can approach all the publishers simultaneously. If more than one show an interest you can either deal with them yourself or contact an agent at that stage who will be only too happy to take you on.

3. A publisher will take care of editing, copy editing and proofreading if they take the book. You do not need to get this done in advance. All you need to approach publishers is a synopsis of your life story and a sample chapter which will allow them to judge how much help you might need with the book.

OP, if you told us your name would we recognise it? I'm not asking you to do so, but the point is, why would I (or anyone) want to read YOUR autobiography? Are you 'famous' or a (wannabe) celebrity?

When you consider the garbage that gets peddled this time of year whether it's Jordan, footballers, footballers ex's, that (rough) bird in the Iceland ads etc, I really think it's insulting to call this writing.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but ...

rmelly - there is a HUGE market in 'mis-lit' - and the authors are often not famous at all, but its the story of their lives and the awful situations they overcame.

Back