Log cabin

Sure same would apply to having a stove in any house, need to have the detectors and ventilation etc.

Exactly, and pretty much all log cabins fail to meet the required standards for ventilation of habitable space.

Some look to swap those out due to the high running costs, they're really only designed to be a supplemental heat source.

I imagine a better source of heat would be needed for permanent living, I'm looking at couple of nights a month so radiator more than sufficient. Think if I wanted one permanently I'd get a gas boiler and radiators.

I imagine a better source of heat would be needed for permanent living, I'm looking at couple of nights a month so radiator more than sufficient. Think if I wanted one permanently I'd get a gas boiler and radiators.

Make sure it's well ventilated when not in use to prevent mould build up.

Last edited:
Has anyone known of or have any experience in living in one for the duration of a self build, assuming the council are ok with the idea of it being a temporary situation only to last while the house is being built

I believe you can apply for planning for a temp mobile home at the same time as you apply for planning for the main house.

As above, must have planning and some authorities might be wary of granting permission for a log cabin that appears more permanent.

I do see a lot more people putting up mobile homes on there sites, probably with out permission wonder how they are getting away with that, not something that I would be into

I believe you are mistaking the exemption for a non-habitable shed. But that exemption only applies on a site with a fully authorised dwelling house and some other restrictions apply.

What you are proposing is illegal. Even if you want to occasionally stay in a caravan on a piece of land you require planning. I know a guy who used to live in a small log cabin in a remote area. Got away with it for a few years, but ended up costing him a lot of money in fines and removing it all and returning the site to original state.
Correct. Compost toilets might sound environmentally friendly but most local authorities will not regard them as being an adequate treatment of waste water and will not permit them. If you put them in without PP you are breaking the law.
Anything that is a "dwelling" (i.e. designed for habitation) needs to be compliant with planning guidelines and local rules. You might get around this by buying a plot with a derelict building, and then apply to live temporarily in a caravan while "renovating" the derelict building.

Reactions: Leo
I am on a self build FB page, there is always questions about log cabins and yes I'd say there are a fair few of them going up in back gardens and being used as residential, the bulk of them are not looking for planning and the companies doing them know that too. Must say I will probably join the illegal ranks myself as I want something temporary when visiting a relative and they have room for a small cabin/shed/garden room where I could put a sofa bed. There is access for emergencies which is one of the only concerns I would have, I wouldn't like to live in one that was in an unaccessible back garden.

I believe the bulk of the problem with back garden planning is more to do with the cabins not meeting regulations for habitable buildings rather than the cabin itself, can have it fine as an office or games room but living in it is a different story. Getting one on a green field site has the regs problem as well as normal planning problems.

I lived in a mobile home for several years when first married, very comfortable and no one asked about planning those times for shoving one at the back of the parents house but those days are gone!
You would be surprised. My brother's neighbour put in one that is well above the 40m2 limit and less than 1m from boundary walls, and has it rented out to tenants. Complained to council as illegal development more than 1 year ago and the case is still ongoing. Never even looked for retention later on. The cowboys who put it in didn't give a damn, even when they were told what they were doing is illegal. You might get away with it for a bit, but it is possible to end up in court with all the costs that entails.

You would be surprised. My brother's neighbour put in one that is well above the 40m2 limit and less than 1m from boundary walls, and has it rented out to tenants. Complained to council as illegal development more than 1 year ago and the case is still ongoing. Never even looked for retention later on. The cowboys who put it in didn't give a damn, even when they were told what they were doing is illegal. You might get away with it for a bit, but it is possible to end up in court with all the costs that entails.
It will be well below size allowed and if there is any hassle it will be converted early to the gym it will be when I pop off anyway!

It will be well below size allowed and if there is any hassle it will be converted early to the gym it will be when I pop off anyway!
"size allowed" only applies if there is already a house on the site. If there is nothing on the site then you need PP regardless of the size of the home.

"size allowed" only applies if there is already a house on the site. If there is nothing on the site then you need PP regardless of the size of the home.
Of course there is! I said I was visiting a relative, they live in a house, they'd also hardly want a gym sitting in some random field not beside their house! Alternatively I might just convert half their double garage for convenience :)

Of course there is! I said I was visiting a relative, they live in a house, they'd also hardly want a gym sitting in some random field not beside their house! Alternatively I might just convert half their double garage for convenience :)
Buy a camper van. Sounds like it could be handier

Buy a camper van. Sounds like it could be handier
Only if you want to live in it you must have planning permission. Storage only is permitted for a single caravan or campervan for up to 9 months per year.

You might get around this by buying a plot with a derelict building, and then apply to live temporarily in a caravan while "renovating" the derelict building.
Assuming the house is classed as derelict or even just declared as such to avoid paying property tax, then full planning will be required to bring it back into use. They could include temporary permission for the caravan along with that.

Assuming the house is classed as derelict or even just declared as such to avoid paying property tax, then full planning will be required to bring it back into use. They could include temporary permission for the caravan along with that.
You're right actually - so basically, rule of the game is that PP is required in nearly all circumstances.

Reactions: Leo
Back