Lockdown and refund of accommodation cost

Roro999

Had apartment booked in Vienna for Christmas markets. Now in lockdown. Was to pay cash on arrival for an apartment and the booking was made through booking.com on the basis of being non- refundable. The apartment owners have got pre-authorisation of my credit card. Can I call my credit card company and avoid having the money being taken or just take it on the chin..

Thanks. I would have to successfully dispute the charge to get it back. Could lose that dispute even in lockdown.

Some of the credit card companies will be more wary of Covid related charge-backs after they were found to have incorrectly refunded people for flights that did operate even though the restrictions meant they couldn't travel.

I don't know the details of the Austria lock-down, but if the apartment is available for use, then you are still obliged to pay for it I'm afraid. I'd recommend looking into the details of the Austria lock down in the hope that this business will not be allowed to operate, and so will be unable to charge you for a service they are not permitted to provide. Perhaps contact them and ask them what the story is?

When are you booked for? The lockdown ends on the 13th of December and they are indicating that the usual rules will apply there after.

Thanks. I would have to successfully dispute the charge to get it back. Could lose that dispute even in lockdown.

Normally, if they do take the funds, you will have to try and get a refund first and then provide proof of refusal. Bear in mind there is more onus on the holiday letting company defending the chargeback then there is on you claiming it. So yes, you could lose but my experience as a merchant is that chargebacks err on the side of the purchaser

Has the place been in touch are you with them ? Whenever this happened to me in the past for other reasons they allowed me to rebook for other dates.

Thanks. No communication either way as yet.

Not interested in new dates as was only interested in early kick off of Christmas markets.

Could I call the credit card company, explain to them the story and ask them to stop any payment that may be charged next week ?

Bear in mind there is more onus on the holiday letting company defending the chargeback then there is on you claiming it. So yes, you could lose but my experience as a merchant is that chargebacks err on the side of the purchaser
We haven't got a huge amount of detail here but it seems that the OP has booked accommodation and the provider is willing to provide it if the OP shows up. There are no travel restrictions in place, just nothing to do in Vienna but that's not the provider's fault.

The fine print of the booking might be relevant here, but using a chargeback simply because the OP isn't going to avail of the booking is a bit dubious I think. There are lots of refundable options on booking.com and the OP chose a non-refundable one.

Yes. The OP needs to prove that the place is closed to business. According to this visitors are not allowed in till 13th of December and I presume the flights in are cancelled although there is probably some exceptional rule covering that.

According to this visitors are not allowed in till 13th of December
Visitors are allowed in. It simply says that visits for "touristic purposes" will only be possible after a certain date but then goes on to say that visitors from Ireland are allowed to enter on supply of a valid Covid certificate or a PCR test.

The OP could easily have booked for reasons other than tourism.

I booked solely for touristic reasons. Looks like I will have to suffer the cost if it comes to it.

Non refundable in normal circumstances I would have thought. Lockdown is not normal. I will see how I get on perhaps I might get offered a credit againsr future booking. Perhaps they will close the accomodation. Just wanted some opinions and thanks everyone.

I would never book accomodations with out free cancellation , it is usually more expensive at the time but you always have peace of mind . Not just because of Covid but you never know what will come up in personal circumstances. Pity the Airlines don't do the same ... Now there's a thought.

Back