Lockdown and refund of accommodation cost

If it's usually more expensive it's not really free cancellation. You've paid for the option to cancel.
Everybody has their own preference but mine is and will always be book with free cancellation .
At least I never have to worry about anything turning up unplanned.

Mine too. I always do free cancellation.

But never with flights as the price differential is too great; it’s easier to just walk away.

It’s obvious why flights can’t be like hotels; with a hotel, the hotel might just lose the revenue. With a flight, it’s going anyway so there’s the fuel etc. How could you run an airline if people could book cancellable low fares? You could lose a fortune.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that in most cases the cancellation isn't free. You pay more upfront than you would with out the option to cancel, so it costs more when you go through with it.
I normally use it when the bookings involves other people or if there's some uncertainty. As things currently are I would definitely look for the cancellation option.

I heard someone say this evening that Airlines won't cancel flights now as it is cheaper for them to fly with an empty plane than it is to refund everyone... I can't remember who said it though but it was on radio or tv .

I heard someone say this evening that Airlines won't cancel flights now as it is cheaper for them to fly with an empty plane than it is to refund everyone... I can't remember who said it though but it was on radio or tv .
It wouldn't be a viable business if the income from seat sales wasn't greater than the operating cost of the flights. Flight doesn't operate, most of the overheads still have to be paid.

Some of the credit card companies will be more wary of Covid related charge-backs after they were found to have incorrectly refunded people for flights that did operate even though the restrictions meant they couldn't travel.

I don't know the details of the Austria lock-down, but if the apartment is available for use, then you are still obliged to pay for it I'm afraid. I'd recommend looking into the details of the Austria lock down in the hope that this business will not be allowed to operate, and so will be unable to charge you for a service they are not permitted to provide. Perhaps contact them and ask them what the story is?
Thank you Leo. Successful outcome. Holiday accommodation closed and because they couldn't offer me an apartment legally therefore no charge.
Lesson learned though I will be only booking with free cancellation from now on..

Back