Local tidy towns member picked up paper in my garden. Very annoyed should I be?

television

Sitting down with the kids today in front room when a local volenteer of the tidy towns rambles up with his litter picker and starts removing litter from the green area directly outide my front window ( I share this area with other semi D on estate half hers half mine)

Now I dont want to be un civic minded and I think tidy towns commitees do a great job, but I think the guy has got a hell of a cheek.

Am I being too touchy here. Thing is it really annoyed me.

I am tempted to write a letter but dont want to come accross as tetchy especially as I am new to the area.

Am I being too touchy here?

Yes.

Why not invite her in for a nice cup of tea and thank her for cleaning up the neighbourhood? Or better still volunteer to go around her area and pick up the litter in her front garden.

Yes.

Why not invite her in for a nice cup of tea and thank her for cleaning up the neighbourhood? Or better still volunteer to go around her area and pick up the litter in her front garden.

I would love to volunteer and I will but I am new to the area. So give me time.

A mans home is his castle and all that.

Are you seriously telling me that of a random stranger went into your garden and started picking litter you would think its okay?

What if your kids were outside playing in the garden?

Being civic minded does not give a person and excuse to be presumptuous

Honestly, I think you're being a bit OTT considering writing a letter. Okay, so it was a bit cheeky to go into your garden, but why not have a quiet word instead. Tidy towns committees do a great job generally. Is it blindingly obvious that its private property or could the piece of land be construed as a common area?

Honestly, I think you're being a bit OTT considering writing a letter. Okay, so it was a bit cheeky to go into your garden, but why not have a quiet word instead. Tidy towns committees do a great job generally. Is it blindingly obvious that its private property or could the piece of land be construed as a common area?

Its blindingly obvious its right outside our front window. My young lad said whos that man in our garden daddy?

The guy could see right in to my front room

Yea a letter is OTT

I reckon they were overly exuberant and just kept picking up litter as they came across it.

I'd let it go this time. If it happens again I'd have a word with them then.

I reckon they were overly exuberant and just kept picking up litter as they came across it.

Yea maybe so.

Seems a sensible and even handed approach. Thanks.

Good advice. There's no point making enemies of members of the community unnecessarily, especially if you're new to the area.

In my opinion , you are right to be annoyed . - If he walks on a nail , is your insurance going to cover the damage .

Once , we left our wheelie bin inside our front garden , and it was not emptied , as insurance does not cover the binmen on private property.

Just someone trying to help the area.

If it is your property, then you should be picking up the litter.

a local volenteer of the tidy towns rambles up with his litter picker
You mention something about a complete stranger... how do you know they were a local volunteer of the tidy towns if they were a complete stranger?

and starts removing litter from the green area directly outide my front window ( I share this area with other semi D on estate half hers half mine) .
A green area? Is it your driveway? Is it on your property? Who maintains this green area normally?

Now I dont want to be un civic minded and I think tidy towns commitees do a great job, but I think the guy has got a hell of a cheek.
If I was a volunteer for the tidy towns and was walking around your neighbourhood, and saw some litter in a "green area" in front of your house, I would pick it up too.

Am I being too touchy here. Thing is it really annoyed me.
Maybe pick the rubbish up yourself next time and then there wont be a need for volunteers to go around picking up rubbish and annoying you.

I am tempted to write a letter but dont want to come accross as tetchy especially as I am new to the area.
Write a letter if it helps you feel better, or maybe next time, get a pair of gloves, a black bag and give them a hand.

In my opinion , you are right to be annoyed . - If he walks on a nail , is your insurance going to cover the damage .

Once , we left our wheelie bin inside our front garden , and it was not emptied , as insurance does not cover the binmen on private property.

Aaaaah come on lads, let common sense prevail here. Stop and think for a minute. I work from hom on bin collection day and I wheel my neighbour's bins into their garden from off the street. I'm not worrying about standing on a nail and I'm not going to stop doing it because I'm not insured on their property.

Just do the right thing and stop complicating matters.

Next time you see someone from a local organisation picking up litter in your front garden on a volunteer basis, go out the door and thank him for his efforts. Invite him and his co-workers inside for a cup of tea and a bikkie and don't worry that he might scald himself with the hot liquid or get a sugar rush from the chocolate biscuit.

Let common sense prevail!

I would love to volunteer and I will but I am new to the area. So give me time.

A mans home is his castle and all that.

Are you seriously telling me that of a random stranger went into your garden and started picking litter you would think its okay?

What if your kids were outside playing in the garden?

Being civic minded does not give a person and excuse to be presumptuous

If you are the sort of person who does not want to have anything to do with the Tidy Towns committee and local volunteering, by all means write them a letter of complaint.

If you think that you will be living in this area for a while and would like to make friends and get involved, and not alienate everyone, then take a deep breath, and accept that someone being a bit overenthusiastic about picking up litter is not the worse thing that could happen to you.

Litter Act

You are in breach of litter act if there is litter on your land visible from a public place. The Litter warden could issue a fine. It does not matter who put it there. Thank the tidy town committee for keeping the area clean.

You are in breach of litter act if there is litter on your land visible from a public place. The Litter warden could issue a fine. It does not matter who put it there. Thank the tidy town committee for keeping the area clean.

Well , am delighted to hear this , - there's an opportunity for job creation and boost the Government coffers as well .

Why is this law not been implemented on a regular basis ?

You should have been grateful he was picking up your own rubbish

You would be greatful if someone trespassed on your property to pick up your rubbish?

I did not ask him to and more importantly he did not ask me could he trespass on my property.

You are in breach of litter act if there is litter on your land visible from a public place.

Would have no problem with this if it happened although unless you actually have come into my garden you would not have seen the plastic. It was right outside my window.

The Litter warden could issue a fine. It does not matter who put it there.

I never said it mattered. A litter warden would not issue a fine as it was not visable unless you actually went in to the garden

Thank the tidy town committee for keeping the area clean.

Its hard to feel greatful when someone breaks the law before they do the favour. Its simple manners.

Maybe a leaflet drop or an announcement in the local paper and it would have been fine. There was none.

I agree with people who say to "drop it" for the sake of good relationships. Thats what I am going to do.

Back