Local tidy towns member picked up paper in my garden. Very annoyed should I be?

Maybe a leaflet drop or an announcement in the local paper and it would have been fine. There was none..

Come on Nokia, loosen up, the guy did you a favour in the end. A leaflet drop would cost money and would result in more litter to be picked up. It's no big deal really.

I agree with people who say to "drop it" for the sake of good relationships. Thats what I am going to do.

Good man!

Ya - I have to say the OP is completely overreacting.

Like - a guy walked into his front garden to pick up a bit of litter and went on his way.

What is actually the problem here in practice might i ask ?

Do you seriously think he was going to do some harm in all likelihood?

Seriously dude- loosen up. Neighbours like you crack me up.

The guy went in and picked up a bit of litter in the spirit of kindness and went on his way - and you come on here and fume about it.

I genuinley wouldn't care in the least nor would most people.
OP - it is you that is in the wrong here getting so worked up on some meaningless point of principle.

It's probably fair to say you are hardly the most easy going person out there.

Join up and help out too, you're new to the area and you'll meet lots of others

The guy deserved a cup of tea or cold drink, not a letter complaining about him.
Don't stress yourself over it

Pity he had to come into the garden to lift the paper, could you not have done it yourself, then he wouldn't have had to.

He meant no harm, and was onyl trying to make the street or area look better. I think this is a massive case of over reaction.

I lived in a housing development and I saw houses that might have had bits of rubbish lying in their drives or front gardens for months on end, with the owners walking past them many times each day and not bothering their arses lifting it.

I cannot believe someone would even have considered making a written complaint about this. Talk about looking for something to give out about. I think what he did is called 'being a good neighbour'.

I often clear up the area around my house, especially when, for instance, a bin gets blown over dispersing rubbish across the street (happens a lot!). I happily venture into my two neighbours gardens (open plan) as I know them, but I wouldn't dare do the same to an owner I didn't know, simply as I don't like people wandering onto my own patch without good reason. I therefore understand the OP's concerns, but I would also keep my peace about it.

You would be greatful if someone trespassed on your property to pick up your rubbish?

I did not ask him to and more importantly he did not ask me could he trespass on my property.

Would have no problem with this if it happened although unless you actually have come into my garden you would not have seen the plastic. It was right outside my window.

I never said it mattered. A litter warden would not issue a fine as it was not visable unless you actually went in to the garden

Its hard to feel greatful when someone breaks the law before they do the favour. Its simple manners.

Maybe a leaflet drop or an announcement in the local paper and it would have been fine. There was none.

I agree with people who say to "drop it" for the sake of good relationships. Thats what I am going to do.

how did he see the litter so? if it was right outside your window maybe you could have picked it up yourself....

how did he see the litter so? if it was right outside your window maybe you could have picked it up yourself....

I don't think this is a very fair comment - how do we know that he wouldn't have? For all we know as a community, the litter may have blown there shortly before the volunteer came along to clear it away. Its a bit presumptious to think otherwise.

I would love to volunteer and I will but I am new to the area. So give me time.

A mans home is his castle and all that.

Are you seriously telling me that of a random stranger went into your garden and started picking litter you would think its okay?

What if your kids were outside playing in the garden?

Being civic minded does not give a person and excuse to be presumptuous

And what?

Are you trying to link someone picking up rubbish with them being a danger to children?

Nokia, There was litter in your driveway. You should have picked it up yourself but you just could not be bothered.

A person from the Tidy Town Committee did it for you and still you complain.

Get a life, please, and stop moaning about what others have to do for you.

No its an open area but still very obviously not a common area.

Would have no problem with this if it happened although unless you actually have come into my garden you would not have seen the plastic. It was right outside my window.

How would you not see the plastic if its an open area?

Sitting down with the kids today in front room when a local volenteer of the tidy towns rambles up with his litter picker and starts removing litter from the green area directly outide my front window ( I share this area with other semi D on estate half hers half mine)

Now I dont want to be un civic minded and I think tidy towns commitees do a great job, but I think the guy has got a hell of a cheek.

Am I being too touchy here. Thing is it really annoyed me.

I am tempted to write a letter but dont want to come accross as tetchy especially as I am new to the area.

You're turning into Victor Meldrew. It happens all of us to a greater or lesser degree when you approach middle age. It's nothing to be concerned about but you should certainly be aware of it.

Try not to get upset by the intrusion but equally don't feel compelled, as some here have suggested, to either join in or invite them in for a cup of tea. If these people are happy to voluntarily pick up rubbish, fair enough, but it's not like they've offered you a kidney.

You've let off steam here. I bet you feel better already.

OP might be better off teaching kids how to keep their garden clean, pick up rubbish, and if you see a person in future dropping rubbish near your house, then take it out on them and not the local people for trying to have a bit of pride in keeping the area clean.... country shagged and you give out about the local community picking up rubbish !
Maybe someone else must have written to them saying the neighbours are very messy with rubbish in their garden. Fair dews to them for spending their own time ceaning up someone else's mess..............rant over :0)

I wish the person who picked up the litter lived in my estate! It's usually quite a clean estate but as the long evenings arrive and the summer when the kids are out more, the amount of litter they drop on the green and on drives is unreal!

Property prices are bad enough without "neighbours from hell" like you leaving litter around.
Any chance you could give me that mans name as my garden needs an Spring spruce up.
After he does it then he can go and get a life.

Nokia you are trolling there is no way someone could be this way about a piece of litter.

I just wish than local busybodies would just mind their own business. I am with the OP.

Property prices are bad enough without "neighbours from hell" like you leaving litter around.

I think that's a bit uncalled for.

It was a piece of litter in his garden. It's not like he has a garden full of rusting car parts.

Originally Posted by Yorrick http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=1148676#post1148676
"I think that's a bit uncalled for.

It was a piece of litter in his garden. It's not like he has a garden full of rusting car parts. "

Just trying to raise a laugh at the whole situation.
If a person is so upset about the local busy body picking up a bit of paper he has little to worry about.
Why hasn't he rang Joe Duffy about it ?
Surely thats the first thing he should have done ?

I think that's a bit uncalled for.

It was a piece of litter in his garden. It's not like he has a garden full of rusting car parts.

Fair enough. But it is fair to say that the OP is clearly one of those contrary neighbours that no one wants to live beside.

Back