Loc8: Internet purchases and lack of Post Codes in Ireland

Re: Internet purchases made difficult with lack of Post Codes in Ireland

40% of rural addresses are non unique -it will cut down on costs for all businesses and a lot
of government services when it is introduced.

Another good trick for Dublin addresses is to include the postcode in the "City" section as you've no idea how the postcode is going to work out when they print the label e.g.:

If I wanted it sent to Dublin 1, I would type "Dublin 1" in the City box rather than just "Dublin".

That way the label usually prints:

"AN Other.
1 O'Connell Street,
Dublin 1
Ireland."

And it becomes irrelevant what they put in the post code box as our post office will just use the above.

There was talk about it a few years ago but I never heard of anything actually happening.

I have the answer to your question but I fear that if I go through the detail you may consider it advertising and again remove my posts. I have been involved in the search for a Post Code system for Ireland since it was announced in early 2005. To go through the detail I would have to mention a system which my company has developed.

In short a plan to introduce a National System by 1st Jan 2008 was shelved and now the most likely date is 2010 and a system that "yoganmahew" mentioned in an earlier post could become the National system and is the only system currently working and useable.

I have the answer to your question but I fear that if I go through the detail you may consider it advertising

Not if you give an unbiased statement of facts. I for one would certainly be interested in knowing more about if/when some scheme of standardised post codes might be introduced, what schemes are being considered, etc.

Not if you give an unbiased statement of facts. I for one would certainly be interested in knowing more about if/when some scheme of standardised post codes might be introduced, what schemes are being considered, etc.

2005 Gov Post Code Board established
2005 Consultants Appointed
2006 3 Recommendations made with the No1. recommendation having 3 letters & 3 numbers giving resolution of 20 houses approx in Dublin and up to 6km in other counties.
Jan 2007 as the no. 1 recommendation was considered worse than UK system and not suitable for navigation i.e. for commercial deliveries services etc - GPS Ireland Published Proposals for the alternative PON Code system.
2007 Gov Proposal sent by Dept Of Comms for Further Cost Benefit Analysis.
Dec 2007 Member of Gov Post Code Management Board launched his own Coordinate Based Post Code Proposal in competition with Post Codes Board's own Proposals and GPS Ireland's - this has since been shown to be unworkable as users could have a post Code spelling words such as "D0G FACE"
Jan 2008 Gov Deadline for Implementation of a National Post Code System Passed without comment or update
June 2008 GPS Ireland Launched PON Codes for use by SatNav users as well as mail delivery services
????2008 Dept of Comms supposed to report back to Gov on cost benefit analysis of No 1 recommended system

It is estimated that no1 recommended system will cost Euro50 million and 18 months to implement (including a technology support payment to An Post to encourage recognition) Because this system will have a resolution as poor as 6 km in rural areas it will not be suitable for tourists, emergency services, couriers, service providers etc etc.

Jan 2010 commencement of liberalisation of Postal Services in Ireland where commercial organisations under license can deliver mail.

It is suggested that if the Gov No1. proposal was given the go ahead this autumn (unlikely because of budgetary and other considerations) then it would be mid 2010 before it was implemented (substantial databases to be created etc) - this would mean that new commercial organisations entering the Postal Delivery market will not have the benefit of Post Codes when they start, thereby maintaining An Post's Advantage in the market initially.

Major SatNav manufacturers and Map makers for SatNav's have been trying to agree a license agreement with the Ordnance Survey of Ireland (OSI) for use of their mapping for several years. To date this has not been possible because of the licensing fees asked by the OSI. OSI is the semi state body responsible for mapping in Ireland. It is feared that if the no. 1 Gov proposal is adopted - because it will rely heavily on a database which must be kept to date and partly contributed to by the OSI, SatNav makers may not be able to agree an affordable licensing agreement for the database and its update with Gov (ComReg) etc. This could mean that the national post code system would not be available for use on SatNav's for 1.5 million SatNav users predicted by 2010 (including over 0.5 million commercial vehicle users) and the 1 million plus vistors who come to Ireland by road annually.

In the mean time PON Codes are a working system which satisfy all the requirements as set out by the Post Code board in 2005 and by the National Statistics Board (NSB). PON Codes simplify implementation because they are coordinate based no databases are required to implement or to keep up to date. For this reason Garmin was able to implement PON Codes for testing on their Garmin Nuvi 700 series at no cost and there is no cost to the user.

Finally readers should realise that users of an Irish Post Code System will be mainly those who provide services using vehicles on Irish roads. Therefore, discussion about an Irish Post Code system should not be confined to mail services!

How accurate is the PON system ?

2006 3 Recommendations made with the No1. recommendation having 3 letters & 3 numbers giving resolution of 20 houses approx in Dublin and up to 6km in other counties.2006 3 Recommendations made with the No1. recommendation having 3 letters & 3 numbers giving resolution of 20 houses approx in Dublin and up to 6km in other counties.

Isnt this the daftest lack of foresight idea ever. Did they not consider that population densities change over time and some rural area of 6km may have 100,000s of homes at some future date?

A review by a second set of consultants (2008) into the recommendations of the first set of consultants (2005), received by the Eamon Ryan, Minister for Communications, in early September 2008 seems now to be recommending adoption of a Post Code System which will allow a unique post code for most properties in Ireland - i.e the type of system proposed by GPS Ireland in PON Codes.
See here: [broken link removed]

This is different to the original Government Post Code Proposal which seemed to suggest an area based system like "D04 123" or "GAL 123" which represented an area of about 20 houses in Dublin 4 and up to 5 or 6 square kilometers in country areas and would not have been of any value for vehicle based services including Emergency Services and SatNav users.

Right now, PON Codes which are available at [broken link removed] are the only system publically available, proven and working which can satisfy the recommendations of the latest consultants. The only satisfactory way to give unique Post Codes to each property is to use Coordinates - i.e. grid references presented in a user friendly and memorable format like PON Codes

Thanks for posting, Garydubh - interesting that little of this has made the news at any time. I remember when the car registration system changed - the present system was one of three possibilities and the most intuitive to understand.

Why can't we just adopt a working system from another country similar in scale and density to Ireland? If, say, three others have good systems could we not just select one or a combination of them? Why reinvent the wheel?
(Hobbyhorse of mine - we could do this with so much more: transit system, health organisation etc etc. But no - we have to argue and squabble for years, wrestling with our own version which is often less efficient. Grrr :mad:
- rant over!

FWIW, I use a made-up postcode based on the UK system e.g. for Lismore, Co Waterford I'd put LM1 1WW or something. Enough to get past the validation systems of webmasters who insist on a limited number of formats.

One plausible reason I've heard given for why we don't have postcodes is that An Post are the people generally tasked with coming up with a scheme.

Unfortunately An Post are the company with the most to lose from a postcode system, An Post has the biggest distribution system - they have the best local knowledge. They really don't need postcodes to deliver mail.

On the other hand postcodes would make it easy for competitors to better organize deliveries and more economical routes, so understandably An Post have been dragging their heels.

FWIW, I use a made-up postcode based on the UK system e.g. for Lismore, Co Waterford I'd put LM1 1WW or something. Enough to get past the validation systems of webmasters who insist on a limited number of formats.

YXY 42JJ is the actual PON Code for center of Lismore!!!

Latest Update on Post Codes for Ireland here:
[broken link removed]

In my experience the WEEE directive is much more of a problem than postcodes.

In my experience the WEEE directive is much more of a problem than postcodes.

But it's only a WEEE problem - postcodes require thinking outside the box and pushing the envelope!

But it's only a WEEE problem - postcodes require thinking outside the box and pushing the envelope!

It is's such a WEEE problem why haven't the likes of amazon solved it yet?

So there you go - as I projected - a National Post Code system was supposed to be introduced by Jan 2008. I have spent the last few hours searching through the budget estimates for 2009 as announced today and there is no apparant allocation for a National Post Code system in 2009 either. In fact, the Dept Of Comms budget in 2009 will be down by 13% - so definitely no obvious provision for the capital cost of a National System or for the compensatory costs suggested for An Post.
Outline capital estimates for 2010, also published today, show no obvious allocations either. In fact, as far as I can see, the last official (Government or Departmental) mention of a National Post Code system was in the Green Party statement on the programme for Government last December (2007). Looks like proposals for a National Post Code system have been well and truly shelved for now!

Just as well PON codes are in place - they do not require millions of capital expenditure to establish and they are ready to use..... [broken link removed] and - at no cost to the state!
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/report.php?p=57577082

Posted by Garydubh:Jan 2010 commencement of liberalisation of Postal Services in Ireland where commercial organisations under license can deliver mail.

Actually, it's Jan 2011

To be perfectly honest, the PON codes are too complex and cumbersome for domeitic customers - there are simpler more customer friendly options out there that would be easier.

Back