Loc8: Internet purchases and lack of Post Codes in Ireland

G

Guest106

Some communication attempts via the Internet I've tried to make with websites abroad have run into difficulty because of the lack of a Post Code in Irish addresses.
The Irish postal numbering system just doesn't wash with foreign systems.
How to circumvent this ?
Anybody had this experience ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Trouble with Post Codes

I key in DUB13 or DUBLIN13 (13 being my house's postcode).

Some may accept "0000" or "n/a", but annoying and unpredictably persist in reversing the town and county in printed communications.

N0 NE usually gets around it!

I usually enter IRE on orders from the likes of amazon or other online orders

ad

After several failed attempts recently, when I had offered OOOO....... then N/A.....then No Post Code......then the Dublin Post Code of Residency..... and all promptly rejected indicating inadequacy in the Post Code section so in exasperation I tried the Post Code of the business entity I was trying to communicate with in the UK and guess what.....it worked !
And my goods duly arrived displaying a six figure Dublin Post Code in the address with the usual pencilled correction at this end.
But seriously there must be an easier and more correct way of filling in the Post Code boxes. Some good responses here tho'.
Maybe we haven't got the best answer yet ?

I always just use D12 (or whatever dublin post code is revelant) and it works.

Pity all online systems arent like amazon japan where if you are specifing a delivery address outside of Japan they give you a free text address form to fill out and you can write the address any old way you like with no validation on it - when the goods arrive its printed exactly as you entered.

You could always get a PONC:
[broken link removed]

I use the county car registration letters - LH - and it usually works.

Re: Internet purchases made difficult with lack of Post Codes in Ireland

My colleague at work today has just informed me that Ireland is in the process of introducing postcodes - does anyone have any further information on this? Agree it is very irritating currently trying to order goods over internet that insist on postcodes! In the past I have entered N0A (Not Applicable) and have always received my items. How would postcodes work in this country - any ideas?

My colleague at work today has just informed me that Ireland is in the process of introducing postcodes - does anyone have any further information on this?
There was talk about it a few years ago but I never heard of anything actually happening.

As Clubman says, there was talk of this a few years ago, does anyone think An Post will actually take the plunge and introduce postcodes? Personally, I think it would make such a difference but then again maybe I have lived in UK too long:)

Would it make that much difference in a country as relatively small as Ireland?

Somebody mentioned [broken link removed] on another thread which might be of interest even if it's not "official".

Back