Limerick

krabik

i was looking at limerick as a place to buy a house several people have said NO WAY as its apparently so rough... not just parts but the whole city...

IS it worth it or are these rumours un true r un founded, albeit i knoe there are bad areas but is this not the norm in all cities???

kk

I think that's a little unfair to Limerick!
We lived in Limerick for a few years and to be honest it is no better or worse that any other city. It has it's rough - no go areas, but then again what city hasn't.
Limerick is small and homely and as far as I'm concerned, is a pleasent place to live!
We're living in Dublin now and I'd choose Limerick any day.
HTH

It is a lot unfair. I have been living here for nearly 11 years now and have never had any trouble. There are plenty of good areas in Limerick as well as a few dodgy ones which are mainly council estates.
Depending on which side of the city you are working in there are plenty of nice areas.

I would completely ignore those people that said that to you. Limerick is like all cities and it has it's bad areas and good areas. I lived in limerick for over 20 years and have never had any trouble. Are you looking to live in the city or out in the suburbs? Do you have anywhere in mind? Places like Raheen, Dooradoyle, Corbally, Castletroy, Ennis Road are good areas.

Limerick does have rough parts, but it also has great parts that you never hear about. I've lived here for 27 years and I love it. The city centre is really shaping up and the places Dee mentioned are all very nice.
By the way, I doubt anyone who told you "No Way" has ever lived here, because if they knew anything they would have said "everyone thinks Limerick is rough but it's great - and actually all that talk keeps the overall house prices down, so you'll get far more house for your money than any other big city. Now ssshhhhh, don't let the cat out of the bag :D"

If you're buying to invest, I think the Limerick market is over supplied.

There was a report (from daft.ie I believe), which gives rent in Limerick now being cheaper than most rural towns.

That is true especially around the university. There has been an awful lot of apartments built in the area as well as more being build on campus. This has left a lot of student houses empty which has a knock on affect. A lot of houses have also been build around the LIT.
So ask questions away, there seem to be lots of Limerick representatives...

Definatley an over supply of houses in the Dooradoyle And Raheen areas and rent for a two bed new apartment there is now 600 per month.
You would do better in other areas I think.
I lived in Limerick for five years and now commute to Limerick, it is a grand city and is improving all the time.
As with all cities it has rough areas but I doubt you would accidentally buy a house in the wrong area as any decent estate agent would put you straight.
I think small towns are a far better bet for investment properties at the moment.

I used to Live in Limerick for over 10 years and moved out as the city is getting very Rough.in Living there you do try and defend the place and saying that that behaviour goes on in every other city Or the palce is just as good as anywhere else. There are some nice estates but no matter where you live in Limerick there is a awfull lot of halting sites and council estates nearby.

Everytime i go down there for a weekend you will be guaranteed to see a few sulkys on the road. There is a lot of scangers in the city and i advise you to go down there on any day of the week and the scangers outnumber the decent people at least 2-1. I have a lot of good memories of the place the college is excellent, a lot of good pubs but at the stage before i was leaving i rarely went to the city centre as it weas getting too rough. I have seen a riot outside supermacs(a couple of years back). you see loads of fights on a night out. Personally we mved as we didn't feel safe in this city anymore and avoided the place like the plague we also didn't want to raise kids in Limerick and be labelled with the Limerick thing.

But you do get great value houses down there, probably some of the cheapest real estate in the country. The cost of living is low and it will certainly open your eyes.. I know people in Limerick that think its normal to have horses running wild in their estates, and sure people get killed in every city in ireland and the driveby shootings in so called respectable areas (Dooradoyle SC. and bombs being found in raheen etc etc.)

the pros for the Place are ; Rugby, great colleges( Mary I and UL). Little traffic congestion, good infrastrucure. Relatively Cheap cost of living. A lot of Good Pubs.

There's an awful lot of snobbery about Limerick, tbh. I've been a blow-in there for the last 12 years and, while I'm sure it was a bit of a hole back in the 70s and 80's, it has been (and is still being) transformed beyond recognition. See [broken link removed] thread on Archiseek.com.

It being a very 'compact' city, you will find rough estates and 'millionaire's row' Georgian or redbrick areas in close proximity. Sometimes the 'same' house on the same road can fetch 5~10% more or less, depending on what's 'over your back wall'...

The main reason rents are generally low is simply over-supply, imho — massive numbers of houses (and increasingly, apartment complexes) have gone up in recent years in 'nice' areas like Dooradoyle/Raheen or Castletroy (especially around the University), pushing rental yields down. Five years ago, a 3-bed semi where I live rented for €1100 or €1200/month, now it's more like €950/1,000 — but the capital values have continued to rise pretty healthily. Suits me, 'cause I'm not a landlord... nor likely to become one in the near future! :eek:

I lived in Limerick for a year only (soem time ago) but for what's its worth I enjoyed every minute of it. it's very much a young persons city (I suppose that goes for most cities thought doesn't it?) There's lots of decent pubs, good shopping and some nice cafes and restaurants. there's also O'Mahoney's bookshop and the Belltable arts centre. I found rented accommodation to be very good value for money and of an excellent standard. As said earlier the cost of living would be lower than Dublin for example, with pub prices, accommodation and taxi fares being considerably lower.

Great [broken link removed], and great value in [broken link removed], too...:D (mild obscenity warning, for the second link).

Lived in Limerick for 6 years, would move back there in a flash!

The reason for lower rents and some houses lying vacant in the college areas, is due 1)oversupply, however when I first moved there (7 years ago) you couldn't get a room for love nor money, and 2)those lying vacant are mostly slums, in that they are damp, miserable houses that used to house mainly students during that time when there was a huge shortage, now that there is a decent amount of better accommodation, i.e. new houses and apartments, these aren't being rented!

As for the horses and sulkies, yes you will see these on a regular basis, and yes it would annoy some, however it's not bad per se.

Scangers in the city - there's a hell of a lot more scangers elsewhere than in Limerick, but this is the case in ALL cities.

In my 6 years living in the city (and 18 other years in the county of Limerick), I never once saw a 'riot', or encountered any major fights. I have, however, come across this is other places, and wouldn't brand those places as 'dangerous, rough' places just because a bunch of yahoos caused problems.

IMO cities in general are going to be rough on occasion, simply because where people congregate, trouble can occur (esp when alcohol is involved)... Limerick does not have a monopoly on this!

As I said we'd move back tomorrow if circumstances allowed, we hated having to sell our house there, but renting wasn't an option for us.

There's the colleges (UL, LIT, MaryI, NCAD), the sport, the schools (of which there are some excellent ones), the city is dinky and has plenty in it, the Shannon, lower prices on nearly EVERYTHING.... I could go on and on!

The media have a lot to do with the branding of Limerick as a rough place, there's more going on in Dublin and it's environs every day than what happens in Limerick each week, but the media are tired of Dublin, a lot doesn't get reported nationally, and therefore I can understand why some people have distorted views of other places because of this...

I've been in Limerick over 12 months and a few months ago I saw a man on a horse and trap at the window of the Drive Through in McDonalds. I couldnt believe it and unfortunately I didnt have my camera phone on me.

In saying that, Limerick is an okay enough spot.

What is wrong with a man using a horse and trap as transport.
It is only if the horse is mistreated that we need to question things.

BAMHAN.

Would you like to live in a place where horses and sulkies are the norm ??

Limerick is a lovely place to live. I've just moved from there....dragged kicking and sceaming by my partner!. I would love to have stayed. People are lovely, good nightlife, great facilities and shopping. Really up and coming.
Ps: Sulky's my This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language!! Lived there for 24 years...where the hell were these people driving to see all these sulkys and rough people!...I certainly didn't see very many in my lifetime in Limerick!! Muppets!:rolleyes: :D

Back