Let go after temporary contract expired?

Discussion in 'Work, Careers, Employment rights, further study' started by Iswashere, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Iswashere

Iswashere New Member

Looking for advice. I have been working on temp contract for over a year with very good appraisals. Job was made permanent and advertised both internally and externally. I applied, was interviewed but was unsuccessful and am being left go as my contract is up. Do I have any rights in this situation

2. PaddyBloggit

PaddyBloggit Frequent Poster

and
    => seems obvious to me that you have/had no right to the permanent job.

In some institutions you have a right to ask for interview notes/feedback. Any such rights where you work?

3. Iswashere

Iswashere New Member

Ok thanks. I was just checking as morale a bit low. I thought that if job became permanent. I would be converted if was doing a good job. Obviously not then. Oh and I was told that I did a very good interview.

4. PaddyBloggit

PaddyBloggit Frequent Poster

That's a kicker. If you did such a good job ... well, the obvious next step is to offer you the permanent job.

Anyone saying 'you did a good interview' .... are a bit slow on the mechanics of what they said.

5. Iswashere

Iswashere New Member

Thanks again. Yes that is what I thought too. But hey onwards and upwards eh hopefully

DeeKie and PaddyBloggit like this.
  6. Leo

Leo Moderator

They're under no obligation whatsoever to offer you the role. All it takes for you not to get it is one external person with slightly better qualifications, experience or interview, or someone already working there with similar credentials. The company can also give the role to someone already in a permanent role there for a multitude of reasons from offering someone at a lower level a career growth / promotion opportunity to keeping someone whose team is being downsized or eliminated.

7. Iswashere

Iswashere New Member

Thanks Leo. I understand that now.

8. galwaypat

galwaypat Frequent Poster

It' a bumer alright but the tables are slowly turning again to an emplyees market I am a firm believer in one door closes and another door opens good luck with your job hunting.

9. Iswashere

Iswashere New Member

:Dhope you are right

10. Wollie

Wollie Frequent Poster

The least they can do is explain to you why you didn't get the job. You seem a really nice person, and you deserve that courtesy at least. Knowing where you fell short will help you in your next opportunity.

galwaypat likes this.