Leaving Cert Applied: Education options for teens

sansolde

To settle a parent/teen argument: can somebody give me an honest opinion about the option Leaving Cert Applied. What type of student is LCA suitable for? Is it considered a 'lower' form of leaving cert? Can kids go on to further/higher education after LCA?
Opinions appreciated.

Re: Education options for teens

I think it is definitely a "lower" leaving cert, but better than leaving school after the junior cert. Could be a good option for students who have difficulty with academic work.

Im not sure if Institutes of technology will accept it for entry in fact im sure they dont. Also a lot of the time the kids going into to LCA can be kinda poorly behaved. However if LCA is done right in a school it can have some benifit if the student makes an effort. But it can be hard for genuine students in an LCA class because of the behaviour of a few. Overall I would say if you son daughter would not get a pass LC then LCA is probably the best route for them. A pass LC for me is to pass maths and english ordinary level and get a few more passes. If he she is capable of this then I say stick to the ordinary leaving cert.

LCA is considered lower than Normal leaving Cert.

You can g to college after but usually have to do a PLC course first, However generally students who participate in LCA are doing all lower or foundation subjetcs and dont think they are going to pass the LC so they to LCA to give them options.

Its geared i felt to people who want to go onto to FAS course etc like plumber, electric who are good with hands etc but not necessarily at sitting down and doing exams.

I knew numerous people who did it and there have been mised outcomes, some set up own companies doing trade work( painting) some went onto do more courses i.e fitness insturctor & applied computer!

Its up to the person.

But i guess to answer your question- It is considered as lower than the LC

Just wondering does your child have any idea what they want to do at all?

Thanks for the useful info. Jen my kid doesnt have much idea about career options, is just 15 years old but very good on computers + gadgets, loves cooking but also has a knack at makiing a quick €20 thru odd jobs. Definately not a reader and dislikes writing.
LCA was my idea. My kid says LCA is for students of lower intelligence (in teen speak).

I have to say that the info and opinions here have given me a pretty good overall idea of what to expect from LCA and at this stage dont think its the right course to take. It seems pretty final and I dont like the fact that the options for further study are limited.

Isn't it sad though that if a child decides they want to be a plumber, plasterer, manual worker they are given the message that they have a 'lower' education and are held in lower esteem than our accountants, office workers etc. I know this has been the case for decades, but I think we should really question our attitudes here.

Most builders, plumbers etc I know are self employed or working for a small company and look like they enjoy every day on the job, always in good mood, ready for a chat over a cup of tea, taking pride in their work. Most office employees I know (and I was one for a long time) spend their day moaning and groaning over a cup of coffee and complaining about stress, dressed in dull shades of grey and with a demeanour to match.

Sorry off-topic but....

My kid says LCA is for students of lower intelligence (in teen speak).

Leaving Cert Applied is for students with learning difficulties. It is good for those students who have been receiving regular remedial or resource hours during the course of their education. LC Applied isnt academic - its purpose is simply to allow students with severe reading, writing and numeracy problems with the tools to do lifes basic transactions e.g. add up a shopping bill. It is unsuitable for students with no learning difficulties or who possibly may go onto further education. Generally speaking, LC Applied students would not have third level aspirations.

From your posts, it appears that your daughter has certain aptitudes which may lead on to a good career, so she would be better hanging in and doing the regular LC. If your kid doesnt have much of an idea what to do, you are better keeping your options open rather than closing doors by dropping back to LC Applied.

Isn't it sad though that if a child decides they want to be a plumber, plasterer, manual worker they are given the message that they have a 'lower' education .....
Unfortunately these attitudes seem to come with the idealism of youth. Having spent years myself, surrounded by overfed, overpaid, problem ridden colleagues, I think that the gifted plumbers, electricians, hairdressers etc are those to be envied.

[quote=csirlLeaving Cert Applied is for students with learning difficulties..... It is unsuitable for students with no learning difficulties or who possibly may go onto further education.
LCA is a concept I knew nothing about until fairly recently. Maybe it is unrealistic to expect to hear the above from the school your child attends. I suspect that the school in question just needs to make up its numbers in LCA and my child is 'in between', neither academic or problematic, just lazy and impatient.

My youngest brother is going through the exact same right now. My mother sujected LCA to him as he has no interest in the learning side of school but he doesnt want to do it at all. Is bright but wont apply himself.

Its hard to make a decision like this that will effect life choices as what 15 yr old knows what s/he wants to do for life! I certainly didnt!

Go ahead and do the normal leaving cert- hopefulyl will give more options when they are old enough to make a decision about college etc!

Another aspect of Leaving cert applied is that your results are not based on your performance in a bunch of exams in June. Approx one third of marks is earned for classroom assignments, one third for project work (tasks) and one third is achieved in exams in June of year 2. This suits students who have difficulty performing in end of course exams.

The work experience aspect of LCA is useful for exploring career options. There is a much more vocational element to LCA, unlike the regular Leaving Cert which involves a lot of rote learning.

Another aspect of Leaving cert applied is that your results are not based on your performance in a bunch of exams in June. Approx one third of marks is earned for classroom assignments, one third for project work (tasks) and one third is achieved in exams in June of year 2. This suits students who have difficulty performing in end of course exams.

The work experience aspect of LCA is useful for exploring career options. There is a much more vocational element to LCA, unlike the regular Leaving Cert which involves a lot of rote learning.

Results perhaps, but not points, LCA subjects are not counted for points purposes, so it is shutting off a whole avenue to you. Perhaps certain PLC courses will accept it, but generally 3rd level would not be an option.

LCA imo is really for young people who may otherwise have left after JC. If your child has a good aptitude for computers and gadgets, choose LC subjects with care, and they will sail through.

Pernickity, I think the snobbery re: trades v professions has vanished.

Only do LCA if she has learning difficulties. The reality of this course is that the students that end up in it either by their choice of otherwise are typically disruptive and happy to see themselves as low achievers and disruptive! If she has an aptitude for a few things then ENCOURAGE her to take on subjects that lend themselves to this. Its fairly normal for a 15 year old to not have a clue what they want to do careerwise. They should still be testing out their interests in general at this stage. With LC points between 230 and 380 which would be low to decent mid range she will have a tonne of options in the PLC and Institute of Tech sector and can use the PLC sector to get to the ITs if necessary. There were never so many options and routes out there.

The reality of this course is that the students that end up in it either by their choice of otherwise are typically disruptive and happy to see themselves as low achievers and disruptive!
I doubt if there are many students that are happy to see themselves as low achievers. Maybe if they've been told that they are low achievers by parents/teachers for long enough, it sinks in.

I read [broken link removed] about author Debbie McComber recently;
DEBBIE Macomber has written more than 100 books. She has sold more than 60 million books worldwide, and is a New York Times bestselling author. Not bad for someone who couldn't read until she was 11 years old.

“I am dyslexic, but they didn't have a word for that when I was a child,” says Debbie who is from Washington State. “I was just considered slow. School was difficult.” That is an understatement.

“I was the only girl in the slow reading group,” says Debbie on a visit to Dublin to publicise her latest book, Wednesdays at Four. “My teacher said, ‘Debbie is a nice girl but she will never do well at school'. And I didn't.”

I doubt if there are many students that are happy to see themselves as low achievers. Maybe if they've been told that they are low achievers by parents/teachers for long enough, it sinks in.

I read [broken link removed] about author Debbie McComber recently;
Good points. There's no one size fits all answers to why children are the way they are.

Only do LCA if she has learning difficulties. The reality of this course is that the students that end up in it either by their choice of otherwise are typically disruptive and happy to see themselves as low achievers and disruptive!

I don't know of any students who are happy to see themselves this way.

I have seen kids who were disruptive up to JC blossom when they do the LCA. They become visibly happy as they are given tasks that they can accomplish as they aren't fustrated anymore (which can lead to disruption). It is a very practical vocational course and most of the students who do it will look to go straight into employment/apprenticeship after school. It is one of the success stories in our education system imo.

I don't know of any students who are happy to see themselves this way.

I have seen kids who were disruptive up to JC blossom when they do the LCA. They become visibly happy as they are given tasks that they can accomplish as they aren't fustrated anymore (which can lead to disruption). It is a very practical vocational course and most of the students who do it will look to go straight into employment/apprenticeship after school. It is one of the success stories in our education system imo.

I would not take on an apprentice (engineering trade) who did not have a good leaving cert as they need to have the ability to study and retain information. They also need to be able to understand trigonometry, programme machines, use CAD, work out loads/ thermal expansion etc, etc.
If I am going to invest 4 years in training someone I want a return at the end of it, and it is an investment since the cost of the time taken to train them is far greater than any "cheap labour" saving they generate.
This may differ for other apprenticeships but I assume the same applies to many of them.

purple I have neve hears such a load of complete rubblish in my life. to call it "one of the success stories in our education system" is to ignore the reality that the majority of students on it are disruptive and out of control. this is not the way I want it to be and maybe teachers are to blame. I have extensice experience of LCA in 4 schools. Yes there is patches of good practice doing good work but for the majority of schools LCA is a dumping ground for the dredges of the JC.

Back