Leaving Cert Applied: Education options for teens

Television I think your comments are directed to my post. I can only speak from my own experience and at least in my school the LCA is a great success.

yes some good practice and maybe your school is such a place. but i would not call that a sucess story of the whole education system. stretching it a bit no?

No I don't think so.

"There is general agreement among students who have taken Leaving Certificate
Applied and their parents and teachers that the range of courses offered, combined with the programme’s innovative assessment system, has made it an extremely positive experience for most participants".

newsletter.​

what do you expect an LCA newsletter to say. please come on its that kind of blatent ignoring of the facts on the ground, that has LCA the way it is. I live in the real world not the propaganda filled b**** world of the LCASS.

purple I have neve hears such a load of complete rubblish in my life. to call it "one of the success stories in our education system" is to ignore the reality that the majority of students on it are disruptive and out of control. this is not the way I want it to be and maybe teachers are to blame. I have extensice experience of LCA in 4 schools. Yes there is patches of good practice doing good work but for the majority of schools LCA is a dumping ground for the dredges of the JC.
Can you clarify if your comments were directed at me or cole?

I live in the real world not the propaganda filled b**** world of the LCASS.

It's quite clear that no matter what evidence I provide your opinion will still be negative towards the LCA so this will be my last post on the subject in this thread.

I was conferring with collegues today who also teach the LCA and every one of them thought it was a positive experience for staff and students alike. I can only add that in my teaching career to date, the last decade of teaching LCA students has only enriched my career.

Let me give my last post on this directed at you cole.

As a teacher of any subject you probably are aware of something called objectivity.

The so called evidence you have given me is from your personal experience and from the LCASS

The LCASS is simply not objective so I would take their view of LCA with a certain degree of scepticism.

I would urge any parent who is looking for advice on the merits of LCA to do the same.

In every LCA class I have taught there is at least 80% of students who do not give a dam. Im not judging them just giving evidence from my personal experience. Which people can take on board or not.

And I have seen teachers talking about how worthy LCA is at staff meetings etc and then for the same teacher to have LCA kids running a complete muck in their classrooms.

I dont blame these kids the majority of teachers treat LCA with complete contempt i.e not perpared for class and not setting standards they would expect of other students.

So advice to the parent looking for it from some one teaching LCA for a long time. LCA can teach low ability kids good life skills etc, if the only thing you want and expect from you kids it to work in a shop. Very few go on to do real apprentaship. I have been teaching and examining LCA tasks in other schools for a long time and have seen so much bad shoddy practice from teachers it annoys the hell out of me. These same teacher are so full of bull about the merits of LCA bit are so increadably lazy in reality.

Back