Have a Dell inspiron 6400 and want to connect it up to TV

Tv has the below connections
•Ext 1 Scart: Audio L/R, CVBS in/out, RGB
•Ext 2 Scart: Audio L/R, CVBS in/out, S video in
•Ext 4: YPbPr
•Ext 5: HDMI
•Number of scarts: 2

Laptop has the below connection

TV-Out (S-video-Out): 7-pin mini-DIN connector (optional S-video to composite video adapter cable)
Wanted to connect it via HDMI but the laptop does not have a HDMI connection
The scarts on the TV I use for AMP And DVD recorder
What connection would I be looking for to connect these 2 up ?

Thanks

You'll probably need some sort of converter cable - e.g. S-Video to SCART (or HDMI if possible?). If your TV SCARTs are already used up then you may need a SCART switch box. Check eBay to get an idea of the sort of stuff available and maybe even buy there.

Maybe use the VGA monitor output of your laptop (you didn't mention one, but I assume it has one...) to feed the Ext 4: YPbPr component input of your TV? You'd need a cable like this:

http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/range/1121

or cheaper if you trust ebay:

[broken link removed]

I feed the DVI of our TV the component output of our Wii like this - It's essentially analog HD at 480p.

Wouldn't affect your current Scart setup anyway...

I use separate cables for VGA and audio. Not ideal but the extra two seconds to hook both up isn't a major pain

Can you get a s-video to hdmi lead ?

HDMI port on the tv and hook the s-video to the Laptop

Can you get cables like this ?

Vga option looks good also dont want to connect sound seperately have enough wires with the amp woofer and speakers already

Anywhere other then ebay were I could get these cables Peats, Maplins ?

The problem is with S-Video and VGA is that neither will transfer sound (AFAIK). Maplin does [broken link removed] however which gives you a single albeit bulky cable with a load of connectors at the end.

The problem is with S-Video and VGA is that neither will transfer sound (AFAIK). Maplin does [broken link removed] however which gives you a single albeit bulky cable with a load of connectors at the end.

We had one of those for a previous TV with only a SCART and found that the colour depth left much to be desired - Very definite blockiness in areas of smooth graduated colour.

As for the VGA to 3xRCA cable locally, can't see it on either Peats or Maplin websites, but it might be worth a call. PC World could be another option.

Here's the cheapest one in the UK it seems:

You can't, there isn't a connection on the laptop that does sound and video on one port.

...Unless the laptop has a HDMI output which some high-end ones e.g. Sony Vaios have.

Another option - if your TV has HDMI and your laptop has DVI, you can get a DVI+3.5mm jack to HDMI cable, so it's two cables on the laptop and one on your TV.

...Unless the laptop has a HDMI output which some high-end ones e.g. Sony Vaios have.

Another option - if your TV has HDMI and your laptop has DVI, you can get a DVI+3.5mm jack to HDMI cable, so it's two cables on the laptop and one on your TV.

AFAIK it doesn't have HDMI or DVI.

Was just looking in Peats and Maplins for an s video cable

As the laptop is a dell inspiron 6400 the S port has a seven pin socket while they only have the standard 4 pin

Also checked the back of the tv and it does not have a s video in

Here is the tv scart picture at bottom

It has •Ext 2 Scart: Audio L/R, CVBS in/out, S video in

But this is a scart connection cannot see the S Video in ?

So is Dell the only place I can get this ?

If so bloody typical

I rang up Dell my God they are the worst to deal with

I got transferred from one person to another going from India call centre back to Dublin and back again

I told them I was looking for an s video to tv lead for an Inspiron 6400

They told me that it is €50 but if I order today they can give it to me for €44 ???

They said this will cover both Audio and Picture but not so sure ?

I asked them for the Dell order ID and they said 725-10175

Checked on e bay and did not see anything

Still have to check the website out but have to register first

Has anyone got a Dell S video lead and where did they get it from or is there a spurious one ?

What about [broken link removed], with [broken link removed] for video and [broken link removed] for audio?

They are all 4 pin s cables Dell has 7 pins so they wont work

Not unless I connect it via VGA to 3xRCA cable as previously suggested

Anywhere in Dublin do these cant see them in Maplins or Peats website ?

Then I would have to get the stero to audio cable

Is the Dell ID the same as the part number?

Do some searching on ebay

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

They are all 4 pin s cables Dell has 7 pins so they wont work
I'm pretty sure I've done this with a regular 4-pin cable (here's someone else that has also used a 4-pin cable on a 7-pin connector). Wikipedia also says
"The 7-pin socket accepts the 4-pin plug and the S-video signals are available on the matching pins"
So the full 7-pins just seem to offer some extra functionality. The bare-minumum 4-pin still seems to carry the video signal.

Back