Laptop for college course

Discussion in 'I.T.,Cameras and MP 3 players' started by cmalone, 3 Dec 2018.

1. cmalone

cmalone Frequent Poster

looking for advice for basic laptop for college course (law). Lectures online and doing written assignments ... any recommendation.

Existing laptop is over 5 years old and did the job - but now broken unfortunately

Any good deal out there ?

2. michaelm

michaelm Frequent Poster

Last edited: 3 Dec 2018
    If it were me and I was happy with my previous laptop I'd try to get the current version of it. Otherwise is sounds like any main brand laptop with an Intel i3 CPU and min. 4GB RAM would do . . then it's just what suits you best re weight, screen size & cost. Hard to go wrong really.

One of these maybe: https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/nav/pt/laptops/range/300-to-400/c/new

Last edited: 3 Dec 2018
  3. cmalone

cmalone Frequent Poster

Thanks for that. Sorry for a basic question - is MS office or similar separate. I see on that website that you buy a licence for 1 year .., is this the modern way ?

4. Nutso

Nutso Frequent Poster

You can still buy a single user licence for MS office, which is better value if you plan to get a few years out of your laptop.
    There is also the Google version (google docs / sheets etc) and open office, both of which are good and free if cost is an issue.

5. michaelm

michaelm Frequent Poster

Yeah, I'd go for a single user licence (student version maybe) over a subscription . . although I just use LibreOffice which is free and can 'open' and 'save as' MS Office file formats.

6. cmalone

cmalone Frequent Poster

7. cremeegg

cremeegg Frequent Poster

Certainly no need to spend on Microsoft Office.

I use OpenOffice extensively and love it. I use text document, spreadsheets and presentations. It's free.
    I use Google docs occasionally and so far so good. Excellent for sharing.

I must check out LibreOffice, though I doubt I will move from OpenOffice.