Lame attempt to fluff us up for an atm withdrawal tax

Doesn't this mean that there is no additional cost in putting tiger kidnappers behind bars as these spaces would be used anyway? With a limited number of cells we're down to who should get put away. IMO a tiger kidnapper should be above someone who doesn't pay their ESB bill.
Depends on the approach taken. If we want to build extra spaces for the tiger guys, then indeed there are extra costs. If we allow the tiger guys to take spaces used by others, there is no incremental cost. There is the opportunity cost of others not being imprisoned. So do we really want keep one in for a long, long time, or keep five guys in for shorter periods. I'm not an expert on this of course - but I would suggest that we really need some expert views before we make changes.

Depends on the approach taken. If we want to build extra spaces for the tiger guys, then indeed there are extra costs. If we allow the tiger guys to take spaces used by others, there is no incremental cost. There is the opportunity cost of others not being imprisoned. So do we really want keep one in for a long, long time, or keep five guys in for shorter periods. I'm not an expert on this of course - but I would suggest that we really need some expert views before we make changes.

I agree with all of this. If it were me, I'd lock them up at the cost of other lesser crimes such as not paying the ESB bill.

I'd be happy with

1 kidnapper for 20 years instead of 240 non payment of TV license for a month each

The biggest threat of doing real harm is the kidnapper.

Back