Lame attempt to fluff us up for an atm withdrawal tax

Z

z104

I thought it was lame of Dermot Ahern to link the free use of cash machines to withdraw your money and the abduction of bank staff.

He basically said that banks hold money so people can use the atm machine to withdraw cash instead of using credit cards of laser cards to pay for items.

I get the feeling he was fluffing us up to expect a new atm withdrawal tax but using a discusting exuse.

Don't we already pay a tax on our 'ATM' cards?

Also, aren't we charged a fee by the bank for each withdrawl?

So rather than the banks holding large amounts of cash for 'our cash withdrawl needs' (apparently we are the biggest cash users in Europe), we should not put money into banks in case we need a bit of cash back out again?

That's it, I'm taking the stuffing out of the mattress to avoid yet aother tax.:mad:

As the business correspondent on rte pointed out last night, the majority of cash in branches is to serve the commercial sector, which do not use ATMs and introducing an ATM charge would have little impact on the volume of cash in the branch.

If Ahern & Co really wanted to end tiger kidnapping perhaps they could introduce a special sentence of 20 years (no early release) for tiger kidnappings instead?

As it stands, you can pay a fixed fee per year or a fee per atm withdrawal (think it's 15c or something like that)

The reason I dont use my atm card is because of the €2.50 Government charge per year so I already dont use the hole in the wall and now he want's the bank's to charge as well. I dont have my own credit card because of the €30 Government charge but share a card so I only pay €15. I dont have a laser/debit card again because of the €2.50 Government charge. I dont have a cheque book -again the Goverment charge.

It's all the public's fault these robberies -nothing to do with the worst Government ever in power.

The reason I dont use my atm card is because of the €2.50 Government charge per year so I already dont use the hole in the wall and now he want's the bank's to charge as well. I dont have my own credit card because of the €30 Government charge but share a card so I only pay €15. I dont have a laser/debit card again because of the €2.50 Government charge. I dont have a cheque book -again the Goverment charge.

What do you do when you want to buy something?

Good question - I pay bill's for my mother online and she pay's for these with Cash to me so this is how i get cash. My mother also does not use atm,laser again for the same reason's as me and share's the credit card charge with me.

Maybe I'm thick, but how is an ATM charge going to stop thugs from holding bank officials hostage?

Maybe I'm thick, but how is an ATM charge going to stop thugs from holding bank officials hostage?

Dermot Ahern certainly thinks you (we) are thick anyway.

I think a better way to stop these kidnappings is to stop the revolving door and give proper sentences to repeat offenders. When these guys are caught I bet you will hear that they had 20 or 30 previous convictions!

Is this just something he thought of on the spot, e.g. was this idea in his head at 10am yesterday morning ?

It suggests it was, cos it's daft !

Ahern on just on radio one. He is not planning an ATM fee but wants incentives for people to use their laser card for more transaction, thereby reducing the need for large sums of money in banks. He wants us to become "a less cash society".
He stated that irish people take on average €6,500 a year from bank in cash, whereas in Denmark the figure is €500.

Rather than punish the bank robbers by introducing minimim mandatory sentencing for this type of crime, the govt wants to pubish sonsumers for using ATM machines.

Ahern on just on radio one. He is not planning an ATM fee but wants incentives for people to use their laser card for more transaction, thereby reducing the need for large sums of money in banks. He wants us to become "a less cash society".
He stated that irish people take on average €6,500 a year from bank in cash, whereas in Denmark the figure is €500.

I don't see how €500 a year could cover all the minor purchases (a newspaper, a sandwich, a box of disprin, a couple of bits from Tesco) that people make in a year. Do Danes use laser cards for this kind of stuff as well I wonder, or are they just super organised at buying everything in bulk?

Was that the same Ahern, who does have any bank accounts?

It is the same Ahern that only a few months ago was complaining about the high amount of money people have in savings and now he is complaining about people taking cash out of the bank to spend it.

@Liaconn. I aggree is €500 a low amount. It is a tenner a week which seems paltry and you can hardly ever get €10 from an ATM anyway.

It's a bit like forcing people to ditch their cars without improving public transport.

If the government wants to do something constructive, they should faciliate the introduction of electronic alternatives to cash - maybe someting like an electronic purse that would operate like a Luas card.

Incentives Mr Ahern - ok let's start with the removal of the following charges - credit,laser/debit card,atm,writing cheque's Government stamp duties in December's Budget - let's see what happens then shall we.

Back