Kitchen cabinets spray painting

Thanks for that, do you know what type of paint they used?

Sorry, no idea what sort of paint it is. Something I never even thought about, all I cared about was that it was hard wearing and they had a good colour selection to keep the other half happy.

We weren't living in the house when we were getting work done so the fumes weren't something that affected me.

€950 might explain the fumes and a possibly cheap paint and similar to that used in the factories that make units.

I was quoted €1600-€1800 for a fairly standard size kitchen, but as above using Farrow and Ball or Fired Earth paints.

We haven't gone ahead yet as its part of a bigger project. (waiting on kbc refund :) )

we are hoping to have ours painted in the next fortnight , guy is taking away the doors to his workshop , degreasing and applying two coats , including handles ( which are 5 quid each ) we are paying 1400 , other quote we got was 1500

its a fairly large kitchen , thirty door handles

Hi Thirsty I think it was around 1000 for a medium size kitchen my friends was bigger and cost a few hundred more. Well worth the money its the same company that Learner2015.
very easy to deal with give them a call and if you send on pics of the kitchen they will give you a quote. Im sure you would be able to get 50/100 off the initial quote as I was and so was my friend.

got our kitchen spray painted this past number of days , cost 1500 euro including new handles

it takes a while for new things to grow on me but my first thought is that unless you are very sure your kitchen has another ten years in it , i would not paint , its about 20% of the cost of a pretty decent if unexciting new kitchen and that is significant , the guy who painted ours fits kitchens as well and told me this himself , we have thirty doors on our kitchen so its fairly large , we also replaced the handles

time will tell if it was worth it rather than get a new one

It's all well and good warning people about the chemicals that are within the type of paint/lacquer used to re-decorate kitchen cabinets, etc. However, if one needs the finish required then that's a price that has to be paid. Not mentioned at all is the actual kitchen timber at all. If for example the cabinets, etc, are made up of MDF, ie, medium density fibreboard, the breakdown from this board over the years is a lot worse than any paint and most kitchens are made from this, as are engineered internal doors, floor boards, attic flooring, carpets, etc. Just thought people might like to know. Then again, that's not what the original question was about but thought i'd add my tuppence worth seeing as everyone else was.

I'm lined up to do mine; Colourtrend paint - same as I have in the rest of the house.

Agree there's no point in painting something that's falling apart, but don't see any good in ripping out cupboards just because they are out of date.

From an environmental point of view I think we have to drop that practice.

If for example the cabinets, etc, are made up of MDF, ie, medium density fibreboard, the breakdown from this board over the years is a lot worse than any paint and most kitchens are made from this, as are engineered internal doors, floor boards, attic flooring, carpets, etc.

Shouldn't be an issue with CE certified products as the levels of formaldehyde emission for those will remain below WHO guidelines. The only real current health risk with MDF is for those working with it due to the very fine dust particles produced when cutting or sanding.

Shouldn't be an issue with CE certified products as the levels of formaldehyde emission for those will remain below WHO guidelines. The only real current health risk with MDF is for those working with it due to the very fine dust particles produced when cutting or sanding.

Furthermore, properly painting MDF will actually seal the material, decreasing any potential emissions. Always wear a proper mask though when cutting / sanding MDF and LDF. The dust is not good for you.

I was led to believe that all the materials I mentioned worked in the same way as plastic water bottles. You sometimes see people refilling them with water over many weeks and the breakdown of the chemicals in the plastic bottle give off very bad levels of cancerous substances. Anyway, if i'm wrong so be it.

and the breakdown of the chemicals in the plastic bottle give off very bad levels of cancerous substances.

If plastic bottles were really leeching chemicals at those kinds of rates, they wouldn't take between 450+ years to decompose.

I'm lined up to do mine; Colourtrend paint - same as I have in the rest of the house.

Agree there's no point in painting something that's falling apart, but don't see any good in ripping out cupboards just because they are out of date.

From an environmental point of view I think we have to drop that practice.

are you getting it sprayed or hand painted ?

was in a house the other day where they got the kitchen painted with a brush and it looks better than ours , brush is more expensive but probably more durable too , paint needs to be very thin to spray

A word of warning with this,

Toxic fumes will fill the house/Apt, These are not painted with a water based paint system like cars etc are, Chemicals are used which have been banned in the motor industry for obvious reasons. Although a reputable company will use a extraction system/Blower, you really need to be out of the property for at least 24hrs with full ventilation.

Also, the Employee carrying out the work is putting themselves at great risk, The excuse of a breathing apparatus used is really quite shocking, and this would be one of the more well known companys.

I have first hand experience with this, as the other half arranged it some months ago, and being inquisitive about the operation, I hung around.

Yes, it looks great, but at what cost to your health. I would expect the EPA will crack down on the methods used in this practice in the very near future.

This is not totally true. Most if not all companies use water based paint or hybrid paint. Unless you are standing on top of the sprayer with no mask on you should not have any problems. 20 years a painter and believe me it's not in my best interest to kill my clients
: )

Absolute nonsense,

Just because for obvious reasons water based are now a legal requirement for any body shop wishing to stay above the law, Isocyanates are still part of the painting process, i.e., in the top coat.

It's for this reason now more than ever as we learn of the dangers caused by toxic fumes, modern techniques still require a full body suit and air-fed oxygen masks.

Spray painting kitchen units, is exactly the same process, but unlike vehicles, which are painted in a controlled environment, spray painting in the home with only a dust mask and a blower is beyond stupidity, especially for the painter.

Absolute nonsense,

Just because for obvious reasons water based are now a legal requirement for any body shop wishing to stay above the law, Isocyanates are still part of the painting process, i.e., in the top coat.

It's for this reason now more than ever as we learn of the dangers caused by toxic fumes, modern techniques still require a full body suit and air-fed oxygen masks.

Spray painting kitchen units, is exactly the same process, but unlike vehicles, which are painted in a controlled environment, spray painting in the home with only a dust mask and a blower is beyond stupidity, especially for the painter.

i know very little about paint LS400 so will bow to your better judgement but we got our kitchen spray painted a few weeks ago , the kitchen was off limits for about three days and there was indeed a potent odour , the painter himself had a fan facing an open window both while he was working and for an hour after he left , i didnt see him painting as i was at work but my other half was off those days and doesnt recall seeing him use any more than a regular dust mask and he certainly had no body suit on , we have a young boy so he didnt go into the kitchen for nearly a week afterwards , we were conscious of the potential toxic fumes

Last edited:
i didnt see him panting as i was at work

I didnt see much of him either, and I was at home. When I looked through the kitchen side window as he was in full flow, it was just a room full of haze, and he was in there somewhere with just his "dust mask" for protection.

Standing in the back garden, and I could smell the fumes being blown out to the atmosphere without a filter of any kind in use.

I am 100% certain, we will see law suits from the technicians down the road here, as you cannot be put into this type of environment on a daily basis without it affecting your health.

Im also certain, that this practice will not continue in its present form, and, that the EPA will come down heavy on this industry as it gains popularity.

I didnt see much of him either, and I was at home. When I looked through the kitchen side window as he was in full flow, it was just a room full of haze, and he was in there somewhere with just his "dust mask" for protection.

Standing in the back garden, and I could smell the fumes being blown out to the atmosphere without a filter of any kind in use.

I am 100% certain, we will see law suits from the technicians down the road here, as you cannot be put into this type of environment on a daily basis without it affecting your health.

Im also certain, that this practice will not continue in its present form, and, that the EPA will come down heavy on this industry as it gains popularity.

were you happy with the end result , ours looks very well but we have an eighteen month old very energetic boy who likes to ram up against everything with whatever he is holding , the painter we employed was a relative of a guy we got to tile , the tiler is the best in the business so we went with his reference having prior to that were more or less decided to go with another guy who hand paints with brush , time will tell but i sort of feel we might have been better going with the brush option , more durable i suspect , our guy used two coats of primer and two coats of the exterior , had to get him to touch up here and there so B standard rather than A

Yes, I have to say it does look rather good.

Apart from the obvious, My other criticisms would be, the guy must have used too small a screwdriver head refitting the press`s as all the philip screw heads are burred, Now I know this in a minor issue, but still grinds with me, and there are patches of over-spray on the wooden floor which in fairness to him, only became apparent when we eventually managed to rid the place of paint dust which had settled.

Id be inclined to agree with the brush approach. I would say there is more dept of paint which would stand up better to an energetic eighteen month old.

Back