Kids Climbing into Garden

B

Barroness

Hi all
We are living in the cornor semi detached house in an estate and we are having problems with kids kicking footballs into the garden and climbing over the 6.5- 7 ft wall to get it.

We have had 2 broken side pipes as a result of footballs hitting the side of the house and I came out of the back door last weekend to find 2 kids in my back garden. I confronted them but all I got was cheek (No doubt the house will get egged again for my efforts!).

Can anyone suggest some kind off product to help deter the kids form climbing over the walls?
I was thinking of wooden fence top type thingies- I have seen these attached to the top of garden walls to add height. Does anyone know a rough price?

All suggestions welcome... We tried confronting the kids numerous times and we are still clearing eggs from the brick work...Help!

A friend of mine had a similar problem and he some sort of tar compound that he put on the top of the wall. The problem though is that if some of this gets on the kids' clothes then there might be some trouble for you. It's a tough call. Have you considered moving out? That stuff would drive me crazy.

Hi,

instead of confronting the kids, why not try talking to the parents - explain to them that you have no problem returning a football if asked but that you will not put up with their kids trespassing into your garden. also tell them that you intend to put the black tar stuff (very effective from what I hear) on top of the wall and that yuo just wanted to let them know first to avoid any potential arguments/problems.

Remember that if any kid gets hurt either in your garden or falling off the wall into your garden you are responsible and may be sued for liability.

nai said:
Remember that if any kid gets hurt either in your garden or falling off the wall into your garden you are responsible and may be sued for liability.
There was a case a couple of years ago where a lady who lived in an end house got fed up of kids climbing over her wall and topped it with broken glass.

She had to pay hefty compensation to a child who cut his hand while trying to retrieve his football. The judge found her liable as she had known that the children regularly climbed on the wall to get their balls and has thus 'knowingly' placed them in danger.

We had a similar problem with this. Our doorbell was being rung at all hours of day and night. Sometimes up to ten times in one evening. Initially we ignored it. Then my husband went and gave out to the kids and one of the parents came down ranting on my doorstep. It turned out they didn't even live in the estate! I just tried to explain that we wanted to be left in peace. Might as well talk to the wall. If we gave out to them it got worse. Luckily we were due to move. They all used to sit on an ESB box outside our house and would basically be staring in the living room window while we were watching tv. Again, if you asked them to move we got sticks and rocks thrown at the front door and windows. Parents were just as bad as the kids. If we said anything to the kids we had the parents down screaming at us. Luckily we were due to move - I thought we would never get out of the place. It's horrible when you have no peace in your own home.

Yep we had that problem at our previous house. Kids in front and back gardens, destroyed plants, pots, etc. and parents not giving a care. We got a dog and that did work at back. Front was utterly destroyed, wall damaged, gates broken, no one cared. Kids will be kids we were told. In our new place first thing was planted very dense thorny shrubs and no unwanted child has climbed in yet!!

Hi Danmo

The thread linked above also has a discussion on children entering neighbours' gardens. Check out posts 21 and 22 which were compiled by sueellen from posts by various contributors

Marion

Would you jump into your neighbours garden if Fluffy was in there smiling back at you...?...I wouldn't..maybe you could buy one of his younger/older brothers to keep the pesky kids away?

fluffy.jpg

Not a dog lover ah well then get some railings put on top of the wall that should stop them from climbing over.

Good Luck ;)

I had the same problem at the back of my house They used to sit on the wall and shout at my dog and me to for that matter. I went out one day with my camera and took some photos and then told them I was passing the photos on to the Guards. I havn't had the problem since!!! and little did they know that I had no film in the camera!!!!
Megan

Megan said:
I had the same problem at the back of my house They used to sit on the wall and shout at my dog and me to for that matter. I went out one day with my camera and took some photos and then told them I was passing the photos on to the Guards. I havn't had the problem since!!! and little did they know that I had no film in the camera!!!!
Megan

The effectiveness of these measures depends on the kids. The ones from the harder areas would not take a blind bit of notice, might even tempt them to break into your house and take the camera.

I know i will be ate for saying this but here we. I feel sometimes its the way we communicate with the kids that can cause the problems. We all remember be told off as a child and immediately the defence mechanisms went up. I have found talking to them rather then at them/down to them can and has worked wonders. I know there is a little johnny in every estate that could do with a good tazering but in the majority of cases i think they can be communicated with.

Doesn't anyone remember what it was like when your ball went into the neighbours garden? It's not like we did it on purpose and it caused so much anxiety, we thought we'd be killed.

Course we also thought we were invisible if we ran fast enough.

Never realised until I read this thread that we were such a bother. Sorry Mrs Hayes.

I've been in a similar situation with kids kicking footfalls off the front of my house. I found that the only solution was to move.

If you are not in a position to move house, pyracantha is your friend! (throw a few snakes in for good measure) :D

It's a nightmare situations.My parents had the same problem for years.
The local kids would use our gate as a goal post.Fortunately my parents have moved to a quieter area.
I myself lived in an estate that was horrid on a summers day.
Balls flying over walls and an audience when we attempted a bbq one day..

Absolutely delighted to say I now live in the country and my neighbours are badgers and foxes..

I think the best thing in that situation is to ignore it..If kids see a reaction ,any reaction they feed on it..

I lived in Crumlin for 4 years and I had a very similar experience,
Actually, one of the little fu*kers came in the back door and we caught him going up the stairs, called the cops etc. After that him and his mates left us alone for a while. It got so bad at one time i had to leave my car at a mates house (Quieter area in crumlin).

If you show any weakness they will torture you daily, the best approach is to ignore, or better still shoot them:)

Bertson.

You are dead right..I know some people will reply to this post with accusations of child abuse but the reality is if the little brats got a good hiding they would not be so quick to torment people.

It is not too long ago that Prime Time had the nation talking about anti social behaviou in estates all over Ireland..
I am sure we weer all horrified to see people that have worked all their lives for a home to be driven from it by scum...

"Spare the rod ,spoil the child "

I also live on a corner site beside the canal. I moved in two years ago. Kids would continually set small fires which once destroyed four lelandia (sp?) trees in my side garden. They had a small area cleared of all debris which they used as a hangout. For the first six months I'd go around and ask them nicely to move on (explaining that I had two small children and that some kids who had been hanging around had thrown broken bottles into my back garden). For the next six months I sprayed my trees (and the area behind them) with water anytime I heard any noise. I then blocked up the whole area with garden waste. I haven't had a problem since.

Past30

Hi Baroness, Have you tried bursting the football and saying you dont know what happened?

Back