Key Post: smart telecom broadband

Re: Who is the Smartest of them all?

From Today's Irish Times:

Five-month delay for Smart clients

More than 16,000 people have signed up for a new broadband service offered by Smart Telecom that may not be available for up to five monhts.

the firm has successfully unbundled 4 of Eircom's exchanges in Clondalkin, Dolphin's Barn, Ship Street and Summerhill. He said another 62 would be unbudled by July or August.

Smart Telecom has attracted 80,000 telephone customers, of which 55,000 had also signed up to have their line rental managed by the firm

It should be called Smart-Alec Telecom, although I am sure someone else must have thought of this name before.

contention ratio

I understand the contention ratio term of 20:1

a)how can I find out, if at all possible, what area that my contention ratio encompasses?
b) anyone seen any utilities(pref free) that will monitor contention on a line?

(am with NTL)

Re: contention ratio

Unless your ISP will answer these questions (which I doubt) I don't think that you can do much other than attempt to measure your download/upload speed at different times of the day and try to extrapolate from the results of several samples to the effective contention ratio etc. I found [broken link removed] recently which is handy for getting a rough idea of your download/upload speed.

Talk about appropriate sponsorship!

Smart Alec Telecom are sponsoring a float in the St Patrick's Day parade by a group known as the "tricksters".

Brendan

Brendan,

I believe the IT printed a correction to the report you quote, in which they accepted that the 16000 customers are to be connected between now and the autumn. This was always the case and Smart have approx go-live dates for all the exchanges they are enabling.

The IT (Jamie Smyth I presume) was wrong in this case.

Missed ClubMan's link to Visualware and have just got my B'band speed. It's a trial and costs a hefty $249 to buy. If it's not OTT, think CM is worth his weight in gold to amateurs like me!

Result
Current download speed is 438 kbps and upload is 106 kbps. Also said the quality of service is 98%.

I don't understand this bit. "Given your current Internet speeds, we estimate that your current Internet connection can support a maximum of 1 simultaneous high quality VoIP connections." Is this about contention ratio or is it something else?

8)

Any chance of going on a reducing diet.....?

Now - where's that tip jar or would an AAM honorary PhD do?

:rolleyes

Re: smart telecom broadband

Just wondering if anybody who has registered online as part of the first 100,000 customers heard anything from Smart Broadband just yet?

They promised from their widespread media campaign that they would be live during the March and April and as we are fastly approaching the month of May, just wondering if anyone has had a positive reply just yet. I have registered myself, sent a few email enquiries also, but no reply as yet. Heard various rumours also that if you uptake their offer, you will have to change your landline number, i reckon if this is the case, most people simply wont bother going with them.

Maybe proves the saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't".

Jack G.

Jack G said:
Just wondering if anybody who has registered online as part of the first 100,000 customers heard anything from Smart Broadband just yet?

Jack G.

Got an email last week (21st Apirl) from Smart with the following info:

Smart Broadband Update!

Exchange: Coolock

We just wish to update you on your Smart Broadband registration. Currently
we are experiencing slight delays in your exchange however we will be ready
to take your order from the 9th of May 2005.
To speed up the order process, please forward us a daytime contact number.

Regards,
Smart Broadband

I just got the same message except about the Crown Alley (Temple Bar) exchange. I replied to it saying that I had never authorised (by clicking on the link emailed to me as the final part of the Smart registration process) the transfer of my voice/broadband business from my current provider to Smart and asking them to ensure that I was not transferred. I have heard nothing back.

ClubMan said:
..and asking them to ensure that I was not transferred. I have heard nothing back.

Oh Ummmmm Oh Oh :(

any one up & running yet?

I've signed up to smart, my exchange is amongst the first wave (summerhill), got the modem & documentation delivered last Thurs, they say 10 days to activate. So that would be May 1 (or May 6 if business days)

Any one up & running yet? I'm starting to suffer withdrawl symptoms after cancelling my IOLBB :)

all these broadband companies have their own rules, in the UK they have have these kinda switch and compare sites for TV and broadband and phones etc - does anyone know of any here? This country needs an independent site to tell the truth about these companies

i_keano said:
all these broadband companies have their own rules, in the UK they have have these kinda switch and compare sites for TV and broadband and phones etc - does anyone know of any here? This country needs an independent site to tell the truth about these companies

Something like this perhaps?

Back