Key Post: Passport issues

Re: >>Passport issues

Hi, A couple of questions regarding passports. Is there a passport application "dropbox" in Molesworth street. Rather than send it through An Post I figure it might be quicker and save me a fee. I am in Molesworth Street fairly often.

Should I get a 10 year passport? I understand that if I travel to the USA in the future they will be looking for a biometric passport. It would seem a waste of money getting a 10 year passport and then having to scrap it if I couldn't get in to the USA.

Lastly. I read somewhere that the US authorities want you to show your ears in your passport photo!! Is this true as I generally have my easrs covered by my hair.

The 6 months validity after return depends on the country you are travelling to.

WaterWater said:
Hi, A couple of questions regarding passports. Is there a passport application "dropbox" in Molesworth street. Rather than send it through An Post I figure it might be quicker and save me a fee. I am in Molesworth Street fairly often.

There is a 6 week turn around for passports not sent in by Express Post!!!!!

Lastly. I read somewhere that the US authorities want you to show your ears in your passport photo!! Is this true as I generally have my easrs covered by my hair.

Can't see anything about ears on the US Citizenship and Immigration Service website. They are going to photograph and fingerprint you on entry (and now also on exit according to a US based friend of mine :rolleyes: ) so maybe they ask you to get your ears out then?

Possibly a stupid question but given that children generally need their own passport these days what exactly is the nature of acceptable photos for an under 3 (in our case a 6 month old right now) on a passport? For example does an adult have to hold them up in a photo booth and crouch down out of sight to that only the child appears in the photo? :confused:

Also - in relation to US immigration photographing/fingerprinting is there some age cut off for this below which they don't bother? I'd hate my 6 month old's terrorist past to militate against his travelling to the US...

ClubMan said:
Possibly a stupid question but given that children generally need their own passport these days what exactly is the nature of acceptable photos for an under 3 (in our case a 6 month old right now) on a passport? For example does an adult have to hold them up in a photo booth and crouch down out of sight to that only the child appears in the photo? :confused:

Also - in relation to US immigration photographing/fingerprinting is there some age cut off for this below which they don't bother? I'd hate my 6 month old's terrorist past to militate against his travelling to the US...

Don't know the answer directly but remember reading a poster explaining what to do in the local garda station a few months ago while waiting there. There was a couple there too getting a form stamped for a baby passport and the woman said it was quite difficult as no part of their arms or hands (the parent's arms/hands that is) were allowed show in the photo. And they were getting a passport for a two-month old who definitely needed to be supported.

If no-one here is familiar with the requirements a trip to your local gardai should tell you what you need to know.

ClubMan said:

We had to get a passport for our (then) 7 month old baby last year. We were offered the option (in a pharmacy) of either holding baby up against a white background or else we could place baby lying down on a white canvas. We opted for the latter as it was easier to coax a smile as well and the photos looked fine. The assistant who took the photos was quite used to taking passport photos of babies, often younger babies. I hadn't had a passport photo taken in a pharmacy in years- I always used the shopping centre photobooth which I mistakenly thought was better value for money. However baby's photos from the pharmacy cost a couple of euro less than those from a photobooth.

Thanks for the info folks.
Carpenter said:
We opted for the latter as it was easier to coax a smile as well and the photos looked fine.
Actually you're for passport photos! :)
EXPRESSION

The expression should be neutral with both eyes open
and mouth closed. There should be no hair covering the
eyes. Contrived expressions such as raised eyebrows,
squinting or frowning should be avoided.
As it happens I see that the link above also has some guidelines on infant photos.
INFANTS

Infants or very small children who are unable to
support themselves should be photographed lying
down. Hands, arms, etc. used to support the child
should not be visible.
However baby's photos from the pharmacy cost a couple of euro less than those from a photobooth.
Really? I must check this out so. Thanks.

beware - price isn't the only criteria.

I had my application returned because the photo which was taken in a photo-shop using a digital camera did not conform to their requirements.

Specifically, I wear glasses and the reflection from the flash was visible and hid my eyes!

jpd said:
beware - price isn't the only criteria.

I had my application returned because the photo which was taken in a photo-shop using a digital camera did not conform to their requirements.

Specifically, I wear glasses and the reflection from the flash was visible and hid my eyes!

You could have pointed out the flaw to the assistant who took the photo and insisted on other shot being taken, you can't argue with a photobooth!

jpd said:

Tip for anyone in this situation (it'll only happen once and you'll almost always remember in future) - if you tilt your glasses down a little bit you won't get that reflection. The photo's don't usually look like you've got the glasses tilted either, which I always find strange.

I sent off a Passport last Friday week and should receive it tomorrow. However having read this thread I am nervous. One thing that concerns me is the Garda signed the pictures with a felt pen and then smudged it a bit. When I pointed this out to him he said..ah sure its grand.

In the event that there is a problem do they contact lively or do you get the contents back the following week to be resubmitted?

Also has anybody had dealings with Passport Express in the last month - do things appear to be running smoothly?

Just call the Passport Office and ask them about the status of your application. I found them very helpful a few weeks ago. My father in law got his passport through a counter application within 7 working days recently.

I rang the Passport office and it was sent out yesterday, so it seems to be running smoothly at the moment.

Anyone know the correct format for passport number? is it 1 letter followed by 6 numbers as the standard format or do all passports differ? thanks.

Hi all,

My partners dad is travelling on the tenth of feb and has just realised his passport has expired (poor man hasnt been abroad in years).

On the walk to work in the mornings, I always see people queueing outside the office just off Dawson street, (moelsworth street?) is that due to some quick way that you can process a passport in the same day or what?

Is his only answer an emergency passport?

your advice is appreciated!

Back