Key Post: Memory Sticks

Disgo and WinNT

I bought a 128Mb Disgo so that I could move data from my XP notebook to an NT one. The Disgo NT device drive installs, shows the new drive but gives the message "The device is not ready" when I try to access it. Disgo support suggested starting usbdrv in the Devices in the Control Panel - won't let me do this, then said it was a problem with my BIOS - look for USB being enabled. I looked thru this and there is nothing relating to USB. Any suggestions? has anyone ACTUALLY managed to get a Disgo working on NT or are they telling lies???

Re: Memory Sticks

What version and service pack level of NT are you running? Sometimes the simplest first step is to install the latest SP for your version and/or consider upgrading if it's an old version. As usual when things like this go wrong there are innumerable possibilities and the catch all error messages are not always that meaningful/informative... Does the device work OK on your XP machine?

USB (memory) devices

I have been using these devices for a long time. They work great but you should make sure that you stop them before you plug them out. (I know that most are "hot pluggable" but it is recommended that they be stopped before being pulled out of USB port).

FYI mine are all cheap generic Asian devices, the last was a 64MB one bought in China for less than 15Euros!! Works great and my diagnostics can find no problem with the product.....

memory sticks

What size are these sticks? Can you carry them around in your pocket? Do they plug into the port directly or do you need to get a cable? Sorry about all the questions.

TIA

memory key

Thank you.

do you know if that one you gave is better than this one I don't know if my usb is a 1 or a 2. I will have to check it out later.

Re: USB (memory) devices

The USB007 devices are very compact and easily fit in a pocket - see the [broken link removed] - 63.5mm long x 17mm wide x 8mm deep. You obviously don't want to sit on them or anything like that though! ;) The picture at the top of www.usb007.com is practically full scale (assuming it doesn't appear differently on different displays!). They are dead handy for moving data/files between different computers. Somebody I work with used to lug their laptop in every day but now simply uses a 1GB USB007 instead to sync the SOHO and work PCs as required. They plug directly into the USB port on the back (or sometimes front) of a computer but if the back is hard to get at (e.g. stuck under a desk or whatever) the cable can be useful. I didn't bother with the cable as I can generally access the back of my PCs easily enough. Hope this helps.

I think they're all much of a muchness. I'd certainly recommend USB007 for their products and service. However any similar device should work fine. I don't see any specific mention of USB 2.0 aka "Hi-Speed" on that page but if it is a USB 2.0 device then you will need a USB 2.0 port/hub either (a) to use it at all or (b) to take advantage of the higher speeds (e.g. not sure but USB 2.0 devices may downgrade to USB 1/1.1 speeds when connected to USB ports/hubs or with 1/1.1 cables). Newer PCs may have USB 2.0 support and older PCs can most likely be upgraded (e.g. using a USB 2.0 PCI card or whatever). USB 2.0 is faster than USB 1/1.1 (480Mbps versus 12Mbps theoretical raw throughput) but the slower speed of the latter hasn't bothered me to be honest and you may pay a premium for USB 2.0 gear. For more on USB 2.0 Hi-Speed see here. Hope this helps.

Thanks to the guys on AAM, I am now the proud owner of a Sony USB 128 mb 2.0 USB which I recently purchased for $59.

It is my new toy. I knew nothing about them before this topic.

Marion :hat

Welcome to our world.

Unfortunately, my usb007 stick's key ring attachment broke yesterday. Just in time for Christmas :)

Might consider moving to a Creative Labs [broken link removed]/[broken link removed] which double up as an MP3 player.

Re: new toys

That's incredible - I was just thinking that I needed a new voice recorder. :)

Marion :hat

You can read a review of the NX model here.

Back