Key Post: Memory Sticks

Thanks for the info. If anybody orders from the USB007 crowd maybe they could post their experiences (i.e. I don't want to be the guinea pig! ;) ).

There should be a choice of postage options given (similar to when shopping on Amazon).

Maybe - but what if they send it by post & it never arrives at your door - When you ring them to complain, there really won't be anything they can do, & I'd guess that you won't be a happy camper.

delivery costs

I e-mailled Komplett and here is their (swift) reply:-

We understand your concerns about the cost of the shipping, but stress that it is sent by courier from our warehouse in Norway, hence the need to use DHL.
None the less, we are investigating implementing other shipping options for customers who order lower value items, where the cost of shipping is often more than the cost of the item! These methods should be available in the near future, but we have no precise dates as of yet.
It is unfortunately not ourselves who levy this shipping charge, but DHL, and we actually make a loss by subsidizing this charge to try to keep it low for our customers. We apologise for the inconvenience, but we are working on it.
Unfortunately, all orders must be placed on our website as we have no retail outlet in Ireland. Sorry that we could not be of more help on this occasion.

usbflashdisks.co.uk

It seems that you can only get the [broken link removed] products via Amazon, and the relevant page on www.Amazon.co.uk says that the supplier does NOT ship outside the UK.

They will now deliver to Ireland and EU for £4.50. Their site has been updated to include this since I e-mailled them yesterday!

Re: usbflashdisks.co.uk

ClubMan,
Just FYI I've ordered one of the USB007 jobbies (64MB @ €22 incl. delivery). I'll let you know how it goes.

Re: usbflashdisks.co.uk

Thanks - I'll be interested to know how you get on. One thing about their billing/shipping policy - they seem to require that the shipping and (credit card) billing addresses are the same (not an unusual guard against CC fraud) and also that you provide a signature & id on delivery. However it wasn't clear what happens if you're not home when the goods arrive - e.g. if they'll be held locally for collection for a few days or simply returned immediately (in which case they reserve the right to charge your further for the return). Anyway, let us know how you get on.

USB007

I think with USB007 you have to pay using Paypal and it costs about €2 to set up a Paypal a/c.

Re: USB007

it costs about €2 to set up a Paypal a/c.

It also takes about a month, as you have to wait for a code to appear on your next credit card bill.

Re: USB007

I think with USB007 you have to pay using Paypal

No - in addition to PayPal they also accept VISA and MasterCard.

Muvo

For a bit more you could get a Creative Nomad Muvo 64MB which doubles as an MP3/WMA player.

Re: Muvo

How much and where? Seems hard to beat US$40 for a 128MB device including shipping from usb007.com!

Memory stick

I have taken my own advice and ordered a 128Mbit memory stick from USB007.

Regarding the payment, they don't seem to have an option for the purchaser to give separate billing and delivery addresses. So I would say that a delay would arise if you give a delivery address that isn't your billing address and they have to then e-mail you to get the correct billing address.

And if you're not at home when it arrives, I think from past experience that the postman will either get a neighbour to take it in or will drop a note in the letterbox telling you to collect it from your local post office. So I think there is little danger of not getting it....unless you have dodgy neighbours. Well, myself and Father Dougal are about to find out!!!

Disgo on WinNT

I've got Disgos to work on WinNT, but only on the rear motherboard-based USB sockets, not on the front ones. Don't know why.

Re: Memory Sticks

For me the confusion arises because (a) it's not clear if it's the local postal service or another agency which executes the final leg of the delivery and (b) USB007 explicitly state in the delivery terms & conditions that the recipient must identify themselves and sign for the goods. I've emailed their customer support to try and clarify all of these issues directly and will post back if/when I hear from them. I just want to avoid the worst case scenario of being US$40+ out of pocket and with no new gadget to play with! :eek

Re: Memory stick

I got the following back from USB007 customer support:
1. Please send us the shipping address after online purchase witin 24 hours.

2. Please put "changing shipping address - order# xxxxx" in subject of email.

3. Please give us the information in the following format:

1. Last Name
2. First Name
3. Company Name
4. address
5. city
6. province or state
7. country
8. zip or postal code

re: memory sticks

has anyone checked out Marx Computers. They are in Dublin, and on-line at

[broken link removed]

They are quoting USB 1 Sticks @€34 incl VAT (64Meg) [+€15 for 128Meg]

USB 2 sticks are €69 for the 128Meg.

The manufacturer is Sharkoon.

Del charges start at €5 for goods up to 500g.

Link fixed by ClubMan.

Marx

Hi stickler,

Yes, I checked out the Sharkoon products from Marx. Komplett work out cheaper for the same spec (different brand) even taking into account the €11 for delivery. However, Komplett won't have the USB 2.0 products in stock until the end of May.

Re: re: memory sticks

FYI,
It looks like my USB007 arrived yesterday via registered post. There wasn't anyone there to sign for it so it's an an An Post sub-office waiting for me. I've sent herself to go and try to pick it up but there's a chance that they want my moniker.

Interesting to note, though, that the delivery address I gave is different to the billing address (i.e. address on my Visa) and there didn't appear to be any problem.

I'll let you know how it functions. Thing is, it was my birthday at the weekend and I got a digital camera with a 64MB memory card. Nevertheless, at a shade over €20 you can't go wrong.

Back