Key Post: Kitchens.

P

propertynewbie

Hi, anyone have any experience with Cash & Carry Kitchens, i.e. the quality/price of them ?, and also did you fit them yourself or hire a carpenter or someone to fit them.

Thanks in advance..

we did

We got a Cash and Carry Kitchen from their branch on the Long Mile Road nearly two years ago and we're pretty happy with it. They were the most cost-competitive of the kitchens we looked at and had some nice features as standard (e.g. metal drawers ... smoooooooth gliding action ... I gotta get out more ;) )

We hired the carpenter they recommended. He did the job but I thought he wasn't as professional as the Cash and Carry Kitchen people themselves. He made a bit of a hack job of cutting out the backs of presses (to fit a boiler) etc. Things that don't really matter as you don't see them unless you're looking inside/under/on top of cupboards.

The main downside that I found is that the presses, etc. come in a range of fixed sizes, albeit a fairly wide range of sizes. This can mean, as it did for us, that you may be left with 'dead space' if you're left with a gap at the end/corner of the units that's too small to fit one of their standard units. No biggie if you have (a) plenty of space so a few cm of dead space doesn't matter or (b) your rooms are a standard dimension that fits their standard units neatly. That's their main disadvantage over a custom-built kitchen. Their onlyother disadvantage is a fairly limited range of styles but you'll probably find something to suit you as they cover the main fashions (can we say Shaker Maple!) and styles (country pine, economy plain white, etc.).

Hope that helps.

kitchens

Is cash and carry kitchens a general term or is it an outlet? only reason Im asking is that Ive just had new wardrobes fitted by kitchen world who probably do the same thing, you go in agree a design and either fit yourself or get them to do it.
The father in law is a carpenter and he nearly had his heart broke trying to figure out some of the cuts. took him 3 full days and 2 extra visits to their warehouse to pick up missing pieces and he knew what he was doing. In the end, the job was oxo but IMHO after seeing what he went through I would recommend you dont try it yourself without a degree in carpentry and engineering.
Price wise tho it was still worth it and that was including a big fathers day pressie.
If you still press ahead yourself, they did have a guy we could phone if we had any questions.

Re: kitchens

www.cashandcarrykitchens.com/

They do wardrobes too if I remember correctly. And I have a degree in engineering, two in fact, and I wouldn't let myself lose with a jigsaw and spirit level on so much as a cardboard box! Oooh the mayhem and destruction ... and believe me, coming from a family of engineers, engineers are worst of all when it comes to maximising DIY chaos! :)

Cheers for all your help, we are looking at a few different options at the moment. The kitchen is 13.5ft x 6ft and we have seen a few adverts about the c'n'c stores. Will have a look over the weekend and see what we come back with.

Also, maybe a question for Clubman?, how come it says that this topic has been 'moved' ?, and if so - to where?

Thanks again

It's been moved to here! ;) But seriously, I moved it (but left a copy link) from the forum to the forum where it arguably belongs.

Clubman, cheers for clearing that up :)

Re: Kitchens

We just fitted a kitchen from Cash and Carry kitchens blanchardstown and are pleased with the result and the price.

It was the best value for what we were looking for.

However, as the others have said do not fit it yourself unless you know what your doing. No instructions and counter top in one piece.

Regards

AMB

AMD and all,

Thanks for your help, will be taking a look over the w/end at the different options they have, and will enlist someone who knows what they are at if we go ahead :) .

Thanks again

If you are willing to fit yourself then B&Q in Lifey Valley do a good range of Kitchen Presses and wardrobes and will help you design the kitchen as well. Good value. A friend of mine has bought one. No problem with the units but he is struggling with the fitting.

Nogser

A good architect friend of mine was over looking at the house yesterday and said that when he was doing up the kitchen in his own house he went out to Homebase and got one, probably the same setup as B&Q, cheers nogser, so will take a trip to both also. He did say it was ok at fitting, with the help of his father who's a painter and carpenter.

Hi again, went to C&C Kitchens in Galway over the weekend, was a good lot of people in there.

Anyway, walked in a both agreed on the kitchen we wanted. A sales guy came over and asked us would we like to look at getting a kitchen. We gave him the measurements of the room and went through what we would like to put in it.
Fridge/Freezer, Washing Machine, Dryer etc.

Also would we like to have any Glass Cabinets, wine rack etc. in the design? He went off and ten minutes later came back with quiet a functional kitchen design that was pretty good in our opinion with the space we have and with what we wanted to put into it.

They delivery to Sligo once a week, so that took some hassle out of it. The price wasn’t too bad (!?) just over 2,100 euro, including all materials, delivery, vat etc., everything bar fitting it, we didn’t ask him about a fitter though as we have a carpenter who can do that.

The price that was quoted is the same in 6 different designs of kitchen, so the choice isn’t completely limited. There was also three other designs/materials, which you could get for 2,300 euro.

All in all the selection was quiet good, considering you are purchasing a 'off the shelf' kitchen. Will be going down to Homebase in Limerick next weekend to see what they have to offer. From their website they have a 'Kitchen Store' so I would hope, will ring to confirm, that we would be ok going down there instead of going over to Dublin, anyone have an recommendations?

Regards

new unit for kitchen

Can anyone recommend a good carpenter / cabinet maker (Dublin southside) who can make a one-off unit for my kitchen? I've had gas boiler installed in an alcove and I want an unit similar, but not necessarily identical, to the others in my kitchen that will enclose the boiler, provide a few shelves, etc. The guy who put in the original kitchen is not interested as 'the wood has changed'; another sawmill was not interested as the size is 'non-standard'; others have made appointments to look at what I want but have never shown up. I'm looking for a basic carcass but with proper wood doors, countertop, etc. Any recommendations would be most welcome.

Frequent poster

Is this crowd of any use?

[broken link removed]

havana

In my experience very few of these kitchen/ bedroom places are interested in sudh small jobs. We moved into a new apartment and wanted an extra press to match the wardrobe. They were still on site fitting other kitchens and bedrooms and still didn't do it for us, depite coming out and measuring for us (after about 6 weeks and a dozen phone calls.) In the end we decided to look elsewhere and arranged for a few places to come out. None did! So best of luck and let me know if you get anywhere!!

BlueSpud

This chap may be able to help, he used to work with a big kitchen company (they put in our kitchen last year) but went out on his own. His name is Craig, 087-6217798. For what it's worth, I trust him.

Kitchen

Can anybody recommend cheap place to get kitchen for my new house.

BlueSpud

It took me 3 months to get my kitchen installed with Ashgrove Pannelling center, they said 2 to 3 days....., this did not include order time, they delivered one day and 3 mths later they finished........

unreg
Unregistered User

Try H & H kitchens aungier street dublin
no connection, just a satisfied customer. Cash & Carry are OK if you know what you want but they dont do anything non-standard ( i.e. fitting odd shaped units into corners, etc.)

nogser
Frequent poster

If you are any way handy you could do it yourself. B&Q offer good value units with reductions on now.

MM

Thanks for your suggestions

mary
Unregistered User

anyone recomend a good place/person to buy new kitchen units and have them fitted?
Thanks

postagepaid

I used Claxton and O'Connell on Kylemore Rd in Ballyfermot. Good value and work. Had all their own tradesmen so no chasing plumbers and electricians. They made up a few nifty units for arkward corners too

npgallag

Cash and carry kitchens seem to be very good value...can buy units and get them to fit or cheaper again get local carpenter to fit...parents got one last week..looks very well and easy to fit...also half price compared to anyone else....!

Moto
Unregistered User

I got a price recently from cash and carry kitchens and it was €4500 just for the kitchen and then pay someone to fit it after that i got a few more prices one was €5000 (symphony kitchens) fitted and another €4200 fitted (local guy), best to shop around....alot!!

sueellen

Mary,

Another option is Panelling Centre and they have recommended fitters.

Good luck with the kitchen.

Unregistered User

Hi,
I am looking at getting a new kitchen and was wondering if anyone had used C&C Kitchens?
Prices seem very keen as does quality of showrooms.

Thanks.

AMB
Unregistered User

I used C&C kitchens and was happy with the result. however, I employed a carpenter I knew personally to install. It was a bit too difficult DIY task for me. He thought the standard of doors etc was quite reasonable.
Also I shopped around within the C&C kitchens and got a better deal in Blanchardstown and then went back to Sandyford. This may have been a one off ,but I got a number of different quotes even from same branch on diferent days

nogser
Frequent poster

If you are going to do DIY then check out B&Q. They have an installing service as well. No idea if it is any good.

Nogser

sueellen

In true Blue Peter style here's one we prepeared earlier on Cash and Carry Kitchens.

If you go to the Long Mile Rd. branch it would be worth your while to also call in to Panelling Centre who are in the same complex. They also have lists of recommended fitters.

See here B&Q Kitchens. There was an item on Watchdog some time ago where the M.D. or Chief Ex. of B&Q in the U.K. spoke and apologised for the problems they were having about the installation of their kitchens. It might not apply to Ireland tho.

spanner
Unregistered User

I think the best think about Cash & Carry Kitchens is the price of their kitchens. Very reasonable.

But I believe that their doors are not solid wood, just a wooden veneer over some reconstituted wood (MSF or something??) When you go to a showroom they have words like "solid" oak etc. which is not quite true. You can see the difference in quality when you go into other showrooms that have solid oak or other wood types - but you'll pay up to double the price.

The question is, is it worth paying extra? Trying to decide myself at the moment, but resale value is something worth considering. The kitchen is often looked on as the most important room in the house, and whereas a C&C kitchen will "do the job" I'm not sure they have that lasting quality or character.

XXXAnother PersonXXX
Very frequent poster

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------
The question is, is it worth paying extra? Trying to decide myself at the moment, but resale value is something worth considering.
------------------------------------------------------------

Consider as well (as regards resale) that your taste in kitchen might be drastically different to a potential purchaser, Esp in 5 or 10 years time.

The first thing they might do is rip it out.

J
Unregistered User

If you are going with Cash and Carry Kitchens make sure you are careful who you get to fit it. All carpenters can't fit kitchens. Try get someone with some experience of Fitting/ Cabinet Making . Sometimes you'll find that once you add on the cost of fitting to the price it's not far off some of the kitchen companies where your kitchen is custom built etc.

sarahhurray

any opinions on the best place to get a small kitchen for a small apartment? Thinking about a trip to ikea or the panelling centre looks interesting too.

sueellen

Hi Sarah,

A few that spring to mind immediately are:-
B&Q Kitchens
www.cashandcarrykitchens.com/home.asp

A few things that have been mentioned on AAM by contributors
Panelling Centre are reportedly good and supply list of recommended fitters
Kitchens supplied by Cash and Carry come as is and you will most likely need to get someone to fit same yourself
Not sure if it applies to Ireland but BBCs Watchdog did a programme some time ago about B&Q in the U.K. having major problems with the installation side of things. If you did go for one of their kitchens might be as well to just query same with them.

Deirdre
Unregistered User

Hi ive bought a new kitchen from b&q during the sale.
But they cant fit it for 10 weeks!Does anyone know a goo kitchen fitter?Reasonable.
Thanks

sueellen

You could try asking atPanelling Centre Understand they have a list of recommended fitters. Can't comment on whether they are reasonable or not.

bloomingh
Unregistered User

Mark Paton from Bray was very reasonable and did a great job for me about a year ago.
I've rooted out his number for you 086 0666591

Has anyone bought a kitchen from B&Q, Homebase or similar?
If so, with what results?

GG

Re: Kitchens - big place or cabinet maker?

Currently shopping around for a new kitchen for a biggish apartment Have been to usual places, Cash & Carry, Panelling Centre etc, quote so far from one place was €6-7K incl fitting.

Would it be better value to go to one of these places or else contact a cabinet maker who could get the doors at trade prices for you.

interested to know the experiences of others please.

Many thanks
Cara Mc K

When the kitchen has been fitted in a new house, is it standard procedure for the builders’ plumber and electrician to come back and plumb the sinks and wire the cooker and hob?

Re: >> Kitchens.

I used [broken link removed] recently and found them excellent if a little expensive.

ajapale

The panelling centre has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread that they are reportedly good. Anyone actually used them and are their kitchens good quality/value?

Our Panelling Centre kitchen was fitted about 3 years ago and we are still happy/no problems with it. We didn't want the bother of fitting it ourselves so did not use Cash and Carry who were much the same price as far as I can recall.

Back