Key Post: Kitchens.

Re: >> Kitchens.

Ok the panelling centre is probably going to get the nod for the new kitchen. I know they recommend fitters but was wondering if anyone has personal recommendations.....North Dublin area

lemeister said:
Ok the panelling centre is probably going to get the nod for the new kitchen. I know they recommend fitters but was wondering if anyone has personal recommendations.....North Dublin area

STAY AWAY FROM *****(named company deleted) THEY ARE ABSOLUTE COWBOYS AND SHEISTERS

possible libel deleted 26/10/05 5.08pm

foxylady said:
STAY AWAY FROM *****(named company deleted) THEY ARE ABSOLUTE COWBOYS AND SHEISTERS

possible libel deleted 26/10/05 5.08pm

Why cant we name and shame these cowboys

Because you're expecting the owner of this board to take the libel risk for your comments. It's really not fair to cast around such comments while you remain anonymous. Are you prepared to post your name/address so that you are taking personal responsibility for your comments?

I have bought a kitchen from cash and carry kitchens and am waiting 8 weeks to have a powerpoint washing machine repaired has any one else had this problem?

Bought the kitchen and washing machine in Galway should i be entitled to a new washing machine as it worked for only one week.

Hi,

Did you buy the washing machine with the kitchen from Cash and Carry Kitchens? Have you asked for a replacement or what is their excuse for the delay?

We had looked at the cash and carry option but in the end we got a local guy to come and build the kitchen for us worked out alot better then expected. He fitted out the kitchen which was 30ft of wall space and the utility room was about 16ft. In total it cost us 7,000 euro and was done in a pippy oak wood. We then a granite worktop for 2,000 euro (25ft) so very happy with the job. Might be worth peoples while checking out local craftsmen.

Rasco,

where is local? Esp. interested in the Granite cost. We've 11m to put down and are looking for 30mm with upstands and windows sills (3).

Cheers,

Noob.

sueellen said:
Hi,

Did you buy the washing machine with the kitchen from Cash and Carry Kitchens? Have you asked for a replacement or what is their excuse for the delay?

Yes I did they say it is Shomars responsibility the Co they bought it from
They have offered to extend the warenty for one year after it is repeared
That is Next Monday .But as it is not working since mid December and they have promesed so often to repair it I am now demanding a new one What are my rights and if I buy a new one what are my chances of sewing in the small clames court

Hi Kilboglashy

Yes I did they say it is Shomars responsibility the Co they bought it from
They have offered to extend the warenty for one year after it is repeared
That is Next Monday .But as it is not working since mid December and they have promesed so often to repair it I am now demanding a new one What are my rights and if I buy a new one what are my chances of sewing in the small clames court

You have been extremely patient. The contract for the faulty washing machine was made between you and Cash & Carry kitchens and not with the manufacturer.

If you do not get your repaired machine back on Monday tell the company that you are seeking a full refund and that you are not wasting any more time on the issue. You are perfectly entitled to a new replacement washing machine or your money back.

If the machine is returned to you on Monday tell them that you are reserving your consumer rights to a refund or replacement machine in the event that it breaks down in the near future. Put it in writing. (Have this letter prepared in case you need it)

Marion

Just a note to say that following the areing of my problems with my washing machine which I bought from Cash and Carry Kitchens in Galway
they replaced the machine with a new one and I was contacted by the managing director who saw my problem on your web site .He personaly contacted me and was very helpful checking to make sure none of the other products I had bought from them were prone to problems He apoligesed for the delay and explained that they had ceased dealing with their suplier as they had several similer delays with servicing. I can only express my thanks to Niall and enphasise that my problem was with the washing machine and the kitchen was top quality and installed perfectly
The staff of Cash and Carry Kitchens in Galway were always very healpful and I can only say that are true profesionals and I will buy from them again and can highly recomend them

Hi Kilboglashy,

Glad to hear things worked out for you in the end and, of course, delighted to hear that it was with the help of AAM :)

Sueellen.

i am interested in a granite top for 2000 euro as well and a kitchen for 7,000. I am in ennis

noah

Kitchen Do's and Don'ts

Going for a kitchen design session at http://www.in-house.ie tomorrow. I know a guy who can get me a good discount there, though I’d like to hear any advice people have on both kitchen design, and moreso, opinions on all the fancy drawers and gadgets that can be had.

It’s a kitchen dining room 7 metres long and 3.2 metres wide and we’ll be going with their Naxos high gloss cream finish modern looking doors (or possibly the red gloss ones), and the floor will be acacia (like walnut) with tiles in the U of the U-shaped kitchen part.

Have thought through the layout and have it down to two options:

1. Sink will be at window (point A in this image), cooker will on the right hand wall as you walk in (point B), with a breakfast bar at the section where kitchen meets dining area (point C)
2. Sink will be at window (point A), cooker will be at the breakfast bar (point C).

Any opinions on the pros and cons of each of these ideas?

I’d really like to hear peoples’ thoughts on all the things like the fancy corner units with the shelves that spin, the full height larder drawer units that you pull out as one and have several shelves on them, fancy flexible hose taps, and things like that. I’ve seen the fancy units break quite easily so am wondering are they worth it or are they just gimmicks? So what do you have in your kitchen and love, and what do you wish you had and hadn’t gone for?

Thanks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=31533&d=1151517411

OhPinchy, I'd prefer the first option with the cooker on the right and brekkie bar just a brekkie bar. I'm not a fan of cookers in islands or brekkie bars as the area around a cooker always gets messy with food prep for cooking and splashes etc and I'd rather not have to tidy up all that every time I want to use the brekkie bar. I like clean definition between eating and cooking areas.

I like the tall pull out larder unit but am not so crazy about the "magic corner". This thing pulls out and is attached to the door and I just wonder how long it'll last. Plus its tricky to clean under and if anything ever falls out of the shelves it'll be gone forever. Having said that though I'm not sure if we would have been better off with just shelves in the corner unit but at least there would have been no moving parts to get little fingers caught in.

I had a corner unit with "spinning" shelves before and while the modern ones may be better it was a pain. Heavy things unbalanced it and if anything fell off it was gone forever.

Pull down hose taps - we had ordered one and then I changed to a big tall swivel spout tap with lovely smooth handles that are easy to clean. I think the tall pull "chef" down taps are a bit ostentatious. InHouse stock a pull down spray tap thats much more discrete but I didn't like the look of it in the end (the tap I got is much more of an "architectural" piece) and I reckoned the hose part would be a nuisance to have to clean and might break eventually? Would be handy for cleaning large things but high spout tap does that well too.

I got a "sit on top" sink cos I thought the undermounted sinks would result in a lot of water spilling all over the countertop. I'm still not sure about that but on the downside, when our nice expensive granite worktop came, it was a bit depressing to see them cut a huge chunk out of it to fit the sink, so if you're getting granite it might be best to get undermounted sinks.

I love our insinkerator. Its SOOO much easier to clear off plates before puting in dishwasher and reduces volume going in bin.

Put dishwasher right beside sink and near cupboards for dishes etc if possible - probably obvious but makes tidying up so much easier.

I love our big American fridge.

We had bought a kit for mounting our microwave in a tall unit but ended up getting our fitter to chop the top off the unit and we put a nice countertop on it and sat the microwave on top. This is just a personal taste thing but it really breaks up the wall-to-wall fitted look and makes it more interesting I think.

Thats all I can think of for now...

Excellent info there Toby, thanks.

I don't have faith in the fancy corner units but would like to fit a tall larder unit in so glad to hear you haven't had any bad experiences with it.

The point on a clean defintion between cooking and eating areas is a strong one so its very likely the cooker will go on the right-hand side as you walk in.

Insinkerator is a great idea and your idea on mounting the microwave sounds interesting, the better half was looking at ways of breaking the line between worktop and wall units, so might be back to ask more about that one!

Any more ideas still welcome!

OP that layout is something similar to our own plans although our room is slightly smaller (6*3 meters) and we're veering towards having the cooker (well just the hob) in something like your brekkie bar (C) as we need the opposite wall to put the fridge and storage cupboards in to (we're thinking of including a tall unit to house a double oven as well). If we put the hob in the B side we would lose space to house the fridge freezer (unless we went with under counter half and half, under the brekkie bar). I kinda like the idea as well of facing people while ye cook (we would also be facing into the dining section of the room obviously) but maybe we do need to consider the practical side as mentioned by Toby.

Back