Key Post: Electric storage heater repairs/spares.

Hi

Need some advice here please

I have 2 Dimplex CXL Storage heaters with convector and both stopped working recently. They are both pretty old.

Turned on the convector on one the other day and I heard a loud bang! Same happened the other one a few weeks before. So I've turned them both off at the switch and also at the fuse board. Therefore I have no heating at all at the moment.

Today I removed the front panel on one of them and hoovered it out. Inspected all the wires and they look okay to me. Nothing that I can see looks wrong.

Just looking for some advice on fixing this. Whereabouts am I looking for the fuse or what other obvious things should I be looking for?
I'm assuming just the convector wont work and that the storage heater will work if I turn it on. Is it safe to do this?

Found the layout of the inside of the storage heater here

Can someone tell me what number part is the fuse?

Thanks in advance

I’m having problems with my storage heating and now it is getting really cold out I am starting to panic!
The problem started to happen about a year ago, there was no voltage at the switch of each of my 3 storage heaters so when the timer kicked in and the controller on the fuse board switched on the heaters did not. They would eventually turn on but only for a few hours in the morning. I had the ESB out to check the timer as this had been an issue before but they assured me it was working (we have one timer for our block of 6 apartments). I worked around this last year by having the controller set to constant which I know is only a test setting so tut tut to me, but it got me through the winter. I decided this year to get the problem fixed properly so I got an electrician out. He said he could not find a problem at the fuse board and didn’t know much about my particular controller (devireg 710-2) but suggested replacing the controller as this could be the problem. €160 and a week later I still have no heating although the problem has now changed. The controller no longer switches on when the timer kicks in. It does eventually come on at about 6.30 and switches off again at 9, 2.5 hours heating is not going to get my through the winter this time and since the controller is no longer coming on when the timer kicks in I cannot even use the constant setting option. My electrician does not know what else to do….
A couple of other things to note; my heaters are creda, the input and output dials are set at the recommended settings, the boost feature on the main heater has stopped working. I have also checked with some of my neighbours and they are not having any problems with theirs.
Hope someone can advise as I am getting very cold J

Hi there,

I have creda storage heaters in my property.
They have 2 dials on the top... a input and a output. Each dial goes from 1 to 6.

Can anyone please help me with what to have these 2 dials set on please?

At the moment they are both set on 4. Will a setting of 4 on each cause my electric bill to be more expensive?

At the moment i am in all day as i am unemployed, so need the heat from about 8am when my daughter wakes for school...through to when i go to bed about midnight.

Thank you so much for your help
Mark

Did you read in full the existing threads (including this one) about how to use storage heaters? It's all explained already. And there is information elsewhere (e.g. ESB website) about them too.

i did read the previous posts, but im still non the wiser about what to set the dials on :(

Do you have link for the info on the ESB site please?

thanks

If you need heat all day then I would recommend:

1. Make sure that all thermostats (e.g. any master (usually wall mounted) thermostat, individual room thermostats (usually wall mounted in each room that has a storage heater) and any radiator thermostats (not always present)) are adjusted to give the appropriate level of heat desired (usually the the thermostats are marked with indicative termperature settings).
  2. Set the input to 6.
  3. Set the output to 1 at night.
  4. In the morning if the heat is not already sufficient then gradually increase the output setting until it is. If the heat is insufficient throughout the day increase the output setting. Or when you need a heat boost later in the afternoon/evening set the output to 6. Remember step 3 before retiring to bed!
  5. If you find that there is too much heat as a matter of course then go back to step 1 and/or decrease the input setting.
Unfortunately with storage heaters (especially if they charge up during a mild night and then there is a cold snap the next day) you may run out of stored heat during the day and have to fall back on other sources of heat (e.g. open fire, convection heaters, standalone oil filled electric heaters etc.). Storage heaters are not the most precise form of heating especially on demand. If electricity is the only heating option then I would consider having an oil filed electric radiator in as a backup rather than using the convection panel heaters sometimes bundled with storage heaters or in ancillary rooms in a Goldshield house. Make sure that any standalone heater is suitably spec'd for the space to be heated.

Clubman did you mean for point 3 to be

Set the output to 1 at night?

What works for me is to have the Input at 6 and leave the output permanently on 1 so that the heat is released slowly during the day.

I have storage heaters but no thermostats.

Clubman did you mean for point 3 to be

Set the output to 1 at night?
Yes - that was a typo which I have now fixed.
What works for me is to have the Input at 6 and leave the output permanently on 1 so that the heat is released slowly during the day.
Same here.
I have storage heaters but no thermostats.
Are you absolutely sure that there are no thermostats anywhere controlling your storage heaters' overnight charging?!

They attempt to control the temperature so that it never goes above the set point. I think that there is usually one thermostat which controls charging up overnight and one or more that controls the heat output during the day.

i think if u charge up at night, then the day one doesn't apply. But I'm not sure what the night setting should be at, so i just have it in the middle.

Actually the individual room thermostats may be controlling the heat output of the panel convection heaters built into some storage heaters (and provided for boosting the heat when the storage heater runs out of stored heat). And then the main thermostat controls the charging overnight. Apologies for any confusion caused.

Are you absolutely sure that there are no thermostats anywhere controlling your storage heaters' overnight charging?!

I'm confused about this now...There must be SOMETHING somewhere...After you asked me that last week I noticed that on the very cold days last week the storage heaters were piping hot and almost too hot....great heat from them from early in the morning and even in the evening the temp was still high....Now this week they are nowhere near as hot and I haven't made any changes to the input or output....What would a thermostat look like? Could it be built into the storage heater? Could there be one for multiple apartments in a block? Thanks in advance for your help...

I have dimplex storage heaters that are coming on at the wrong times. I notice the red light at the fuse switches come on at 9.30 in the evening and go off about about half an hour later. After reading this thread I am going to call ESB tomorrow about the time clock. Have you called ESB Lauren?
I have no access to the ESB time clock to check it as they are in the basement of my apartment building.

I have noticed on that on the fuse board there are day and night knobs with red flashing lights and turn to -4, -2, 2, 4 . What should these be set to?

Thanks for the help

Haven't called the ESB no and not sure what those clock things mean either. Mine come on at the right time but seem to vary considerable in temperature so must be regulated by a thermostat somewhere as Clubman has suggested..I have no idea where that might be though!

I have dimplex storage heaters that are coming on at the wrong times. I notice the red light at the fuse switches come on at 9.30 in the evening and go off about about half an hour later. After reading this thread I am going to call ESB tomorrow about the time clock. Have you called ESB Lauren?
I have no access to the ESB time clock to check it as they are in the basement of my apartment building.

I have noticed on that on the fuse board there are day and night knobs with red flashing lights and turn to -4, -2, 2, 4 . What should these be set to?

Thanks for the help

Hi folks, I work for the ESB and regularly get calls to apartments for Faulty NSH. A lot of the problems but not all are caused by the heating conntroller fitted in the apartment distribution board. Its the little box with the -4 -2 +2 +4 and is usually a DEVI REG 710-2. The dial on the left labelled DAY should be left at the mid setting as it isnt required in normal use. Set the dial on the right labelled night to the mid position initiatly. after a day or so if you require more heat turn it clockwise a little and vice versa if you need less heat. The unit has a temperature sensor mounted outside the building and sometimes they are placed in the wrong location it can drive the controller nuts.these units are great when they work but are a real pain when they dont. if they are working correctly many people think there heaters are coming on late when in fact the unit has decided that less heating charge is required and delays the switch on period for the storage heaters.

Hi folks, I work for the ESB and regularly get calls to apartments for Faulty NSH. A lot of the problems but not all are caused by the heating controller fitted in the apartment distribution board. Its the little box with the -4 -2 +2 +4 and is usually a DEVI REG 710-2. The dial on the left labelled DAY should be left at the mid setting as it isnt required in normal use. Set the dial on the right labelled night to the mid position initiatly. (ie the pointer symbol at the 12 o clock position) after a day or so if you require more heat turn it clockwise a little and vice versa if you need less heat. The unit has a temperature sensor mounted outside the building and sometimes they are placed in the wrong location it can drive the controller nuts.They can be tested for continuity or resistance value by electrician. these units are great when they work but are a real pain when they dont. Connection diagram can be downloaded by searching on Google for DEVIREG 710-2. if they are working correctly many people think their heaters are coming on late when in fact the unit has decided that less heating charge time is required and delays the switch on period for the storage heaters.

set the input knob to 6 for maximum charge and set the out put knob to 4-5 setting. you will have to vary the output setting to suit your personal taste for heat but basically the higher the output setting the later in the day the bulk of the stored heat will be released in to the room. Hope this helps

Back