Key Post: Electric storage heater repairs/spares.

Help! Electric storage heater manual needed!!

Hi all,
I have just moved from Germany to England and in some places I am completely lost. I have storage heaters in my house and I have no clue how to work them. Since it is becoming kind of cold in the evenings, I would be very very happy if you could help me out.
It says 'Unidare' on top but I can't find a type or serial number. The heater has on top a little flap. Inside are two dials with numbers 1 to 6 on them. One says 'output' (left side) and the other one says 'input' (right side). Additionally there is another dial on the right side of the heater, also with numbers from 1 to 5 on it. There is a switch as well (red, 1 and 0 on it). On the wall next to the heater are two switches. One says 'offpeak' and nothings seems to happen if I use it. The other turns obviously the heater on, but can anybody please explain the whole thing to me?
I would like the heater to use the cheaper night rate and then give heat in the evenings. What do I have to do that this happens?

Thank you very much for your help, it is much appreciated!

Re: Help! Electric storage heater manual needed!!

Inside are two dials with numbers 1 to 6 on them. One says 'output' (left side) and the other one says 'input' (right side).
Input controls the amount of charge the heater stores up overnight. Try setting this to the maximum initially. Output controls (well sort of - it's a bit hit and miss with storage heaters) the amount of heat emitted during the day. If you are out all day and only in in the evening set this to min while out and then to medium or max when you get in. If you are there all day then set it to low or medium. The amount of charge stored up may also depend on any room thermostat(s) installed and their setting. In general the idea is that the output should be cranked up when you want a boost of heat from the storage part of the heater. That's the theory anyway! As I say it's all a bit hit and miss but if the property is well insulated (e.g. Goldshield) then it may not matter as much of the heat will be retained.
Additionally there is another dial on the right side of the heater, also with numbers from 1 to 5 on it. There is a switch as well (red, 1 and 0 on it).
Sounds like it's a dual mode storage and convection heater. The idea being that the storage heater provides the background heating and the output can be used to give a boost (it basically opens vents over the storage heater blocks allowing more heat to escape) but sometimes you may need to switch on the convection part of the heater (which uses electricity there and then unlike the storage part which uses night rate electricity overnight) or a fire or whatever to give more heat. The dial on the side may be a heat setting for the convection part. Not 100% sure.
On the wall next to the heater are two switches. One says 'offpeak' and nothings seems to happen if I use it.
I presume that's the storage heater switch. If that is the case then nothing will happen immediately but if you leave it on overnight it will charge up. However you will want to double check this in case it's something else and you run up a huge bill overnight testing this!
The other turns obviously the heater on, but can anybody please explain the whole thing to me?
That's the convection heater part and uses electricity immediately.
I would like the heater to use the cheaper night rate and then give heat in the evenings. What do I have to do that this happens?
My guess is that you need to switch the other switch on and leave the heater charging overnight with the input set to max (or whatever) and the output set to low.

Why not just ask your neighbours if they have the same system?

Clubman,

thanks ever so much for shedding a little light on the heater-problem. I think I will be fine now but to be sure I will try to ask the neighbour.
Thanks a lot!

Hi,
I'm having problems with my storage heating system. Basically there's no voltage at the switch at the storage heaters. So then went to the fuse board and checked for voltage into the contactor which it has when the timer kicks in but no voltage out so I'm wondering if anybody would know where i could get a cutler-hammer contactor part number CE12BNC400 SERIES A1. I've tried five or six places in north dublin but no luck. I can get them in from England but Dublin would be handy!
Thanks
Positive Ion

Can anybody recommend someone to repair a storage heater? South/central Dublin.

Mine was working fine but has suddenly stopped. In view of ClubMan's experience, I turned off the mains, took off the front and hoovered it out (with my fingers crossed) but no joy, and I don't know enough about electrical items to try anything else.

Thimble, from a recommendation on this site I rang a guy called Robert McCormack a couple of months ago to fix a storage heater in a rented apartment I own, he was very good as in he turned up on time and didn't charge mad money for calling out, turned out our problem was just down to a blown fuse but I'd use him again, his number is 0864022142.

Re: Electric storage heater repairs/spares

I just bought a second-hand home and the 2 input and output knobs are missing on the main storage heater. I sourced a website in the UK that delivers to Ireland but minimum order is £15 and these knobs are only £2.50 each or something. Anyway, can anyone point me in the direction of a shop that might sell such things?

Clubman you mentioned a place in North Frederick St, but that was in 2002.

I'll try my usual source (the domestic appliance parts place on North Frederick Street) for the part or advice on where to get it if it proves necessary.

Is it still there do you know, or can you tell me the name of it?
Any info appreciated, thanks. Tried Golden Pages online but 'Domestic Appliance Spare Parts' only gave me a place for Gas heating.

Mastercare are my preferred spare parts supplier these days. Recommended by somebody else here on AAM and the are very good/helpful/competitive in my experience. The spare parts place in North Frederick Street was closed the last few times that I passed by. Not sure if it's closed for good or what but they are a lot dearer than Mastercare anyway.

Storage Heater

Our storage heater has decided to stop working for no apparent reason. We think it might be something to do with the timer.Can anyone tell me who i should contact- the ESB maybe?

Thanks

Re: Storage Heater

We think it might be something to do with the timer.
What timer? You mean the one that switches over from the day to night meter?
Can anyone tell me who i should contact- the ESB maybe?
If you think that the meter is faulty then call the ESB. Otherwise it's your own responsibility so call a sparks.

Hi!

My storage heaters are storing heat during the day and I've noticed my bills go up!
In March I had a new meter fitted...this is been happening since then I think!
Do you think I need my meter checking out or could it be something to do with the wiring/fuse box????

Jules.

What do you mean by "storing heat during the day"? This is what they are supposed to do. Do you mean that they are using electricity during the day and not just charging up on night rate electricity? If so how are you verifying that this is the case? Do you have dual day/night meters as would normally be the case with storage heaters (which will charge up on night rate between 11/midnight and 8/9AM)? Was the meter change done by a qualified electrician? Why did you need a new meter installed? In short - not enough info.

What do you mean by "storing heat during the day"? This is what they are supposed to do. Do you mean that they are using electricity during the day and not just charging up on night rate electricity? Yes, Normally they store heat during the night on economy 7, not during the day, but mine are. They keep clicking on, using the electric to store more heat. If so how are you verifying that this is the case? One of the heaters continued to store during the day and ended up overheating and burnt out. This has been replaced by a new heater, but is still heating up during the day!Do you have dual day/night meters as would normally be the case with storage heaters (which will charge up on night rate between 11/midnight and 8/9AM)? The meter was changed from a very old one to this new digital one. It has 3 rates on it...rate 1, 4, and 8. I don't understand why it has 3 rates? I thought it would just have the 2 rates...the old meter did! Was the meter change done by a qualified electrician? Yes! Why did you need a new meter installed? In short - not enough info.

I have checked the consumer unit for potential problems with fuses etc...it's fine! All the wiring for the heaters is fine, I just can't understand why they are using electric during the day to store heat.
The only conclusion I can come to is that the meter was not installed correctly. It is a combined/all-in-one meter which has small box-like attachments connected to it...Im asuming these could be what regulates the economy 7 switch-over times????

Since the meter was changed, my bills have virtually doubled!
I live alone...use the usual electrical household items and only have 2 storage heaters on during winter, yet my winter bills have gone from ?£245 per qtr to £475...this is ridiculous for the small amount I use. Im also not home that often, as I work shifts!

Can you please give me some idea as to what might be happening, as this is doing my head in!!!!

Thanks!
Jules40.

Reading your post makes me suspect you're in the UK.
Most if not all of the advice you will get here relates to Ireland.
Storage heating is controlled differently in the UK, so you would have a better chance of getting an answer on the excellent UK electrical forum
Diynot
From your description I think you may be talking about a time switch rather than a meter.

Reading your post makes me suspect you're in the UK.
Most if not all of the advice you will get here relates to Ireland.
Storage heating is controlled differently in the UK, so you would have a better chance of getting an answer on the excellent UK electrical forum
Diynot
From your description I think you may be talking about a time switch rather than a meter.

Thanks! Yes I am in the UK. I will try this other forum you suggested.
Thanks again!
Jules40.

P.S. This is a brilliant forum site!

hi
just a quick question say you had both dials set at 6(or the highest setting)and just left it at that over night how early would the heater run out of heat the next morning???thanks

If you leave both dials at max then you will have maximum heat in the early part of the day with a lot less heat for the evening...The storage heater won't go completely cold in the evening but you would like need some further boost for say a living room area. I tend to leave the output really low all the time and it slows down the heat output process somewhat.

In general though I think storage heaters suck! :(

Anyone with anything positive to say about storage heaters? Am thinking about installng same in old (but shortly very well insulated) house. Each room will also have a wall hung thermostatically controlled oil-filled rad.

Back