Key Post Key Post: Bathrooms/Showers

Re: Bathrooms

Thanks, I am in Co. Cork so I can check out terrys bathrooms.

New bathrooms

Anybody heard of or used this crowd to renovate a bathroom or ensuite?

Thanks

[broken link removed]

terrys.ie

is their website and they have price lists etc so you needn't leave the couch!

Re: New bathrooms

10 yr old Dublin semi d, got quotes for bathroom and ensuite, "turn key" hi spec fit out:

Bathroom €8,000 and ensuite €6,500. Remove old tiles, suite and refit new and fully tile, install under floor heating etc etc.

Getting more quotes but how does this compare against other peoples recent refits?

Thanks

did a bathroom renovation just finished:
- removed a partition between an ensuite and main bathroom
- closed up old ensuite door
- remove 2 toilets/sinks, new toilet outlet on external wall
- took down tiles (walls tiled to ceiling) replastered all walls
- ripped up floor, replumbed for new location of power shower, toilet, sink and bath and new towel rad
- new marine ply floor
- new vogue bathroom
- tiles

Total cost about 5K. I did everything except plumb in the new bathroom and put down the tiles.
tiles were 800 + 400 to install
suite was 2.5K + 500 to install

So the quotes below don't seem too bad to me, considering my own time I had to put in.
don't skim on the tiles or the suite - you'll want to get 10 years out of it.

I almost dealt with Terry's several years ago but in the end I gave up. I found them to be quite arrogant to be honest. We were buying a big amount of stuff for a new extension, sinks, taps, shower enclosures etc. The price came to x,005 euro and I asked for a discount, they wouldn't even knock off the the 5 euro !!! I purchased elsewhere.

Hi Bricktop,Bathroomcreations are actually doing a job for me at the moment - fitting out en-suite in new house. They started on Monday, I haven't seen it as yet but my boyfriend has been there every day and they seem to be doing a good job so far. Supposed to be finished by Friday/Monday so I'll let you know how it went next week.

Any more news on the bathroom refit - am looking for recommendations. Think its about time we got rid of the dreaded avocado!

Whatever you do, don't go with Bathrooms of Tomorrow based in Clonskeagh. They sub-contract all of their installation to rubbish builders. We used them and it was a total nightmare from start to finish!

Re: Bathroom Refurb

Hi - currently in the process of redoing my bathroom, so trying to get some good deals in the January sales. Had my mind made up to buy in B&Q - sale ends today - but, as usual, at the last minute, I've been advised to steer clear of the B&Q bathroom suites cos they arent of the best quality apparently. Has anyone got any opinions on the suites in B&Q? I was impressed with their range and although I saw nicer stuff elsewhere, the price was prohibitive so had planned on going with B&Q and then put in fancy fittings.
Any and all opinions appreciated cos plan to visit B&Q after work today!!

I bought a Madrid Suite and was feeling very please with my Bargain, untill the fitting that makes the plug hole go up and down didn't work. The ball on top of the plunger fell off down my plug hole, then the button on the toilet snapped in two when I had a guest and he is really light handed, then yesterday the mechanism in the toilet went also so it doesn't stop filling up..

So all in all, my bargain wasn't such a bargain.. oh yeah, I forgot, the mechanism to lift the plug on the bath doesn't work at all either..

Help! Badly need to get bathroom renovated but budget is quite low. Space is approx. 8ft x 8ft. I have already bought a new sink, toilet and cistern and intended to keep the bath and get it resurfaced.

Have been quoted approx 7,000 euro and this would include insulating both external walls, new shower (Triton) over bath with shower glass, tiling for both external walls and floor. Also four downlighters. The wooden floor would have to come up and new floor put in before tiling.

Not sure at all if this is an ok price, hopeless at this sort of thing. Job to take a week and a half approx. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

hi judi, have to state that i am in the trade. unless there is something you are leaving out ,that price is ridiculous, are they suppliing the tiles , resurfacing the bath. if you could itemise things a bit better i could give you an accurate figure.also what part of the country.are you really set on resurfacing the bath and have you got a price for same. if so i will give some advice on same and pros and cons of

Skingtile, thanks for reply. Basically the quote is;
1. Remove existing bathroom suite
2. Remove flooring and replace with WBP plywood to support new tiles
3. Batten and insulate external walls
4. Fit cement boards on exterior walls to support new tiles
5. Fit bath back in placd
6. Floor and wall area around bath to be tiles....tiles included
7. New Triton T90 shower supplied and fitted
8. Fit new washbasin, toilet and cistern (which I have already bought new)
9. New radiator to be fitted (in place of old one)
10. Shower screen supplied and fitted.
11. Supply and fit four downlighters
12. Electrical alterations
13. Skip supplied

Thats about it. While I am very prepared to pay for a job well done and am not trying to get one better on anyone, but funds are tight. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
ps in Dublin. Re the bath resurfacing. The bath is a zinc (I think) and someone said they hold heat better than the new plastic type.

great breakdown, thank you, the external walls that are to be studded, will they be tiled over or will some of it involve a plasterer,i could of course be wrong but i have never seen a zinc bath to be resurfaced, i think it may be cast iron. will get back to you soon.

They will be tiled over. A plasterer was not mentioned. I decided that I dont want to tile the complete bathroom...just the external wall which runs alongside the bath and the external wall behind the toilet and sink. The shower will be above the bath.
Re the bath.....probably is cast iron...shows my ignorance about these things.

Back