Key Post Key Post: Bathrooms/Showers

Re: Bathroom Refurb

Danaforever,

I am thinking of doing a similar job to what you mentioned - changing suite - but more importantly bringing the WC in to the main bathroom. Currently it is a separate "tiny" room, adjacent to the bathroom.

Can you let me know if you went ahead with this and if you would recommend the people who did it for you.

tnx

valc

We are currently in the middle of redoing our bathroom in Celbridge. We had one guy price the whole job (plumbing and tiling) and he quoted us €4500. That was way out of our budget so we're getting individual plumbers (one has quoted us €600) and tilers to quote.
The best place we found for bathrooms is [broken link removed]. The person we dealt with gave us a discount of about €50 on each item and then took another chunk off the total price. They also gave us lots of catalogues to take away which really helped us to decide what we wanted. So far they have been a pleasure to deal with, however the items are being delivered today so there's still time for things to go wrong!!

We are in the same boat. We inherited an avocado green suite, that 5 lads had been using as the house was rented out.
We went to B&Q and bought the madrid suite. It only cost us €370 for bath, basin, pan & cistern, and all the taps. Got a plumber to switch it over for €500.
Bought 20 square metres of wall tiles in Right Price Tiles for under €200.
Bought 4 square metres of floor tiles in B&Q for €94.
A polish tiler quoted me €850 to put up the wall tiles alone.
Rang a tiler that right price tiles recommended and he quoted me €644 to put in the floor and wall tiles.
So it pays to shop around.
The plumber did say that quality of the B&Q suite was not great, but it will do us for the time being.
So we got a completely new bathroom for just over 2000 when the goruting, adhesive etc is taken into account.

Hi - currently in the process of redoing my bathroom, so trying to get some good deals in the January sales. Had my mind made up to buy in B&Q - sale ends today - but, as usual, at the last minute, I've been advised to steer clear of the B&Q bathroom suites cos they arent of the best quality apparently. Has anyone got any opinions on the suites in B&Q? I was impressed with their range and although I saw nicer stuff elsewhere, the price was prohibitive so had planned on going with B&Q and then put in fancy fittings.
Any and all opinions appreciated cos plan to visit B&Q after work today!!

Our downstairs bathroom is kitted out with B&Q toilet and sink. In my opinion it's very poor quality. The toilet is very loose (the seat moves every time you sit down!!) and the sink is impossible to clean. As I said in my previous post in this thread, we refurbished our main bathroom. When we were looking at buying the sink etc then, our plumber said that he would advise us not to buy in B&Q.

When purchasing high use fixtures like sanitary suites it really doesn't pay to skimp on quality- for this reason you're best off sticking to Armitage Shanks, Twyfords and the like. Aside from the quality of the porcelain the mechanical/ moving parts: valves, ballcock, taps, wastes etc will be of better quality. Cheap plumbing fittings and sundries are off poor quality- poor metal castings with inclusions and roughly machined, low grade plating etc. In addition you'll find that quality taps and fittings are more readily maintained and repaired as spares are easily obtained from plumber's merchants. Reputable plumbers don't want to fit cheap suites and fittings, when things go wrong it only gives them a bad name.

thats the message I'm getting all right. Plumber "friend of a friend" recommended Bohills in Drogheda as his recommendation in the North County Dub area. Gonna have a look at Vogue Bathrooms this evening cos they've been recommended a lot in different threads.
Thanks a mill Triona and Carpenter.

Looking for someone to do a bathroom start to finish

Hi all

I'm looking at completely ripping out my old bathroom and ensuite and installing a new one, including floor and wall tiles and all plumbing.

I want to get one company to do it all, based in around Co. Kildare and I've already had one company in to give me a quote (waiting on price), and that was Bathrooms Complete.

I wonder is there anyone else that does this service, and I realise it will be more expensive than if I go the individual route.

Re: Looking for someone to do a bathroom start to finish

Hi PB

Cannot recommend anyone specifically but, for what it's worth, I strongly advise that you do not pay too much up front and retain a significant %age of the total cost until you are completely satisfied.

My mother went through a nightmare experience with a north Co Wicklow based company who took several months and several 're-works' to fix what should have been a simple bathroom re-fit. They originally promised that all works would be completed within a week - but because she had paid over €10K+ and only retained c.€300 (duh!) there was no sense of urgency on their part to complete the job and their customer service skills (sic) left much to be desired.

Good Luck with it

Dicey

Thanks Dicey

With the one company we spoke to it was 10% deposit, balance on completion....so that should protect us somewhat.

Thanks for the link Doc.

I had spotted that thread when I did a search before hand....but it was more to do with the cost.

I'm looking for the names of companies that actually do the complete job....so I can get a few quotes...although I'll probably be back on that thread when my quote comes in !!

Re: try this man.

I had this man called Simon do my bathroom last year. He was good.His number is 087 2742007.I think he is based in Baltinglass wicklow

De nada. Bear in mind that when dealing with plumbing contractors (or any other trades), and particularly on an expensive job like this, it's worth asking if they can give you 'phone numbers of any previous (recent) customers whom you can contact for references. If they're worth their salt, they should have no difficulty with this.

I was quoted ridiculous prices to get my bathroom done, not incl buying all the stuff. One company quoted me 6k. My bathroom is tiny 7ft x 5ft!!
Ended up getting it all done seperately - ie plumber and tiler and cost me 1800 incl all the fittings and tiles. My advice would be try and find a good tiler/plumber and buy your own sanitary ware/tiles. B&Q and Homebase are great and have all the latest styles etc.. You will save a fortune

A guy from Blessington did one for my ma in south Dublin, Aidan Nugent
She found him inexpensive and very nice to deal with around the place.

grimreaper & grahamo, in accordance with the [broken link removed], could you both confirm whether you have any connections with the above businesses?
Thanks,
Leo

No connection whatsoever
Sorry for not mentioning that!

Bathrooms

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy villeroy and boch sanitary ware? Thinking of putting it in the main bathroom of a new build.
Thanking you in advance.

Back