Key Post Key Post: Attic Ladders

Re: Attic Stairs

as far as i can remember they were around €170 but looked pretty sturdy just looked on their website and they are not there so they must be new

i was out in B&Q the weekend they have them starting at €70 upwards. they might be worth a look

excellent i must check them out never even thought of them thanx

I recently got a Dolle Attic Ladder fitted. The ladder itself cost €120 and it cost €170 for a full days labour. It took a max of three hours to install the ladder, one guy on his own.

Buy one in woodies around 90E, I got one sturdy and I fitted it myself not really into DIY but gave it a go and worked out fine, not that hard to do

Tony said:
was thinking about buying one of those staire type staircases that they have in atlantic homecare, anyone know how much approx it would cost to have it fitted?

www.atticstairs.com

I have no connection at all, just noted their van recently with a "supplied and fitted from €199" on side, and filed it away for future reference.

Re: Attic Stairs - Installation quote ?

Hi Folks,

I just got a quote for installation of a dolle attic ladder, and I'm wondering can anybody let me know if this price is reasonable.

The work involves cutting a bigger opening to the attic, install the ladder, connect a light and switch upstairs and clean up aftwerwards. It's in a standard estate semi-d.

I was told the work would take 2 guys around 10 hours at 20 euro per hour. Although it could be 20 hours in case of problems...

From what I've seen on this string I think it's overestimated in terms of time needed, although I don't know if other people got their attic openings extended.

Anybody got a similar job done ?

Much appreciated ,
Darragh.

darraghdog said:
Hi Folks,

I just got a quote for installation of a dolle attic ladder, and I'm wondering can anybody let me know if this price is reasonable.

The work involves cutting a bigger opening to the attic, install the ladder, connect a light and switch upstairs and clean up aftwerwards. It's in a standard estate semi-d.

I was told the work would take 2 guys around 10 hours at 20 euro per hour. Although it could be 20 hours in case of problems...

From what I've seen on this string I think it's overestimated in terms of time needed, although I don't know if other people got their attic openings extended.

Anybody got a similar job done ?

Much appreciated ,
Darragh.

Had a Dolle heavy duty attic ladder installed for E390.00 which included ladder and fitting.
Job took between 2 and three hours.
I used a Limerick company Superior Attic Ladders.

DOBBER22 said:
Had a Dolle heavy duty attic ladder installed for E390.00 which included ladder and fitting.
Job took between 2 and three hours.
I used a Limerick company Superior Attic Ladders.

Hi Dobber22,
Did this price & time include changing the size of the hole which the ladder is fitted into,or did the ladder already fit to the existing opening ?
Thanks a lot,
Darragh.

darraghdog said:
Hi Dobber22,
Did this price & time include changing the size of the hole which the ladder is fitted into,or did the ladder already fit to the existing opening ?
Thanks a lot,
Darragh.

This price included cutting the ceiling to house the attic ladder.

The guy who fit my ladder said it would take two people. The guy that was supposed to come with him wasn't able to come on the day so he did it on his own in 3 hours, that included cutting out a bigger hole. In fairness, it was a hard job on his own. I had a full day's work lined up for this guy but I would have paid on the double if the second guy had come too. It wouldn't take half an hour to fit a light. I think they're taking you for a ride on the length of time it would take. Are you going to be in the house when they do the job or are you leaving them to their own devices, clocking up the hours while you're in work?? What part of the country are in you and maybe somebody could recommend someone for you.

Hi darraghdog,

"I was told the work would take 2 guys around 10 hours at 20 euro per hour. Although it could be 20 hours in case of problems..."

Would agree with Ribena I think they're having you on? What is the full cost for the 2 of them to do the 20 hours?

You're being taken for a ride, I fitted a "Dolle" in my own house 5 years ago. I took my time and did it on my own in about 4 hours, including cutting out a larger opening, trimming ex. joists and fitting new architrave externally. An extra pair of hands would probably halve the job as the ladder is mighty heavy when working overhead.

Thanks all for the advice... it confirmed my suspicions.

The full charge was 2 guys, 20 euro per hours each - they said it should take a 10 hour day, but may take 2 10 hour days if they ran into problems. That tots up to between 400 and 800 euro. When i challeneged them on it they had lots of reasons why it would take so long if you do a quality job ... :)

The search continues, but this estimates give me a good baseline to talk about future quotes.

Attic access from vertical rather than horizontal

Does anyone know how you could set up attic access when the attic is entered from the vetical rather then the horizontal. Our attic opening is high up on the landing wall which is double height and a Stire has to be fitted to a vertical opening from the ceiling.
Does any other product exist which gives a folding stairs which can be folded down from a vertical opening?

This is the type of thing I need but does anyone know if they can be sourced here in Ireland?

[broken link removed]

Re: Attic access from vertical rather than horizontal

[broken link removed] seem to have two styles... listed under the "Home Automation" link for some reason.
Leo

Re: Attic access from vertical rather than horizontal

Many thanks Leo, that seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

Where to get a folding stairs not attic ladder

Hello does anyone know where I could get a folding stairs not an attic ladder.
It will get regular use and must have bannisters and fold up into ceiling when not in use, I seen one fitted in a shop so they exist but the shop assistant did not know where they got it, it was there when they moved in they said.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Re: Where to get a folding stairs not attic ladder

TONNEMAN72 said:
Hello does anyone know where I could get a folding stairs not an attic ladder.
It will get regular use and must have bannisters and fold up into ceiling when not in use, I seen one fitted in a shop so they exist but the shop assistant did not know where they got it, it was there when they moved in they said.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Try the DOLLE website I've had one of their folding attic ladders installed in my own home and it's a quality product, they also do attic stairs

http://www.dolle.dk/english/index.asp

Good Luck ;)

Back