Key Post Key Post: Attic Ladders

D

decbuck

A while ago, a leaflet came through the door offering an attic stairs for 149. I think it was aluminium.

Does anyone know of any other companies doing folding attic stairs apart from stira.

Stira cost about 450, so am looking for something a bit cheaper, but still good quality.

Thanks

Fakro ladders

We got two fakro attic ladders, they look identical to the Stira ones but are considerably cheaper

Re: Fakro ladders

Where did you get them. Do you install them yourself?

Fakro ladders

I got them in Lonergans Hardware in Cahir Co Tipperary, but I am sure most places stock them.

I got them fitted as part of a new build by my carpenter

I am sure if you are any bit handy they should be easy enough to fit.

They come with the frame already assembled, and probably in a variety of dimensions.

Our trap door is white and blends well with the ceiling

So you think our existing (standard) attic hole would not need to be enlarged?

One more thing, how mush did they cost if you don't mind me asking?

Do they work the same as a stira, as in you get a pole to pull it down?

Fakro ladders

You probably could get them to fit the standard opening, same as the Stira ones, not sure, ours went in before the ceiling so it wasn't a consideration for us.

I can't rightly remember the cost but it was a good bit cheaper than the same size Stira, carpenter advised not to get Stira as simply paying for the name "as seen on the Late Late Show" etc

L shaped pole which fits in a square hole, twist pole and the trap door lowers on a spring so that you can then unfold the three hinged sections to lock.

There is also a handrail on the steps

Michael,

thanks for the help. I presume you have never had a problem with these?

They are good quality etc?

Definitely recommend them

I have had absolutely no problem with these at all.

They are very solid and look great as well, if I didn't know that they weren't STIRA I couldn't tell by looking at them

Oh by the way, I have no connection to the manafacturers and have no gripe with STIRA either, I just went on the recommendation of my carpenter.

Re: Definitely recommend them

Michale, I believe you. I mean Stira seems a bit pricey even if they do the install as well. I wouldn't mind doing ti myself and a few of my friends are carpenters.

My next thing is to try and find out where my nearest stockist is. I live in Kildare and don;t really want to drive to Tipp for one.

they should be available in most places

Fakro do attic windows as well, similar to the Velux type, so I guess anyone that stocks them could order them up if they don't already have them.

The place I got them didn't have to order at all so I reckon they must be readily available.

I think the most awkward thing about fitting them is getting some helpful soul to hold it up for you while it is being attached.

Good luck

www.atticladders.com

Has anyone any experience with this Dalkey based company? I am looking for any feedback on them, good or bad. If you did use them, did you fit the ladder yourself or get them to fit it?
Txs in advance.

Re: www.atticladders.com

Hi Marge
We just fitted a loft ladder last weekend, bought it in Homebase for 45 EUR and fitted it ourselves. The trickiest bit was cutting down the loft hatch cover and fitting the clip as it has to be hinged to open down when you need to take down the ladder. We spent the whole weekend up there between flooring and putting in lights but it's now an extra room! Very pleased with the whole job!
Missy

Attic Ladder

Hi,

Could anyone recommend a person/company (Kildare/Dublin area) that supplies and fits fold down attic ladders, for around €150-160. I have received flyers in the door advertising these but can't put my hand on them now.

I have checked the key posts for attic ladders and conversions but can't see any recommendation for above.

Many thanks,
Finn

Re: Attic Ladder

Hi
From what I have been looking around the ladders themselves cost about 130 to 150. And to fit them would take a couple of hours, the stira from their website is about 450.
Godd luck but I would be very surprised if you could get the whole thing done for that price.
The very cheapest I saw was in B&Q for a metal ladder for about €80 which pushes back into the attic but again you need someone to fit it..

My Dad has a metal ladder which I find very hard to push up. He has a special rod for it and you have to catch on to a clasp and push the whole thing up with all your might. Definitely a man's job. I got a flyer in my door about folding attic stairs. I'm sure the guy was in Portlaoise. I'll look for it this evening and let you know his number.

I got a FAKRO attic ladder fitted by a carpenter a couple of years ago. Similar idea to Stira, but a lot cheaper (can't remember the exact price, plus I had some other work done at the same time as the fitting so the labour charge included all of that, but it was more in your stated price range than getting a stira).
Word of advice, if it wasn't for the carpenter closing all the upstairs doors before starting work the whole place would have been ruined with dust.
Delighted I did it though - even if there is junk piled high in the attic now!

Personally I don't like the Stira product, I've seen it in a few houses and I think some of the off the shelf timber folding attic stairs are better quality. In particular I would recommend "Dolle", German made and less than €150 from Homevalue hardware stores. I don't like the aluminium stairs, lighweight and easier to install (no heavy lifting) but too much flex in them for my liking. One tip if you do install yourself, cut out the architrave and loosely pin it to the frame before the ladder is fitted in position, makes for an easy job when trimming the opening later! Also I like to glue two small strips of carpet/ cork to the feet to prevent wear and tear to the the actually landing carpet/ timber floor.

carpenter...does anywhere sell ladders of varying sizes....560 mm between the joists at our trap opening but most trap ladders I have found seem to be for gaps of 580mm.

I know a guy in Limerick who fits them for E390.00 they are heavy duty fold down attic ladders I got one myself and have no complaints it only takes about an hour to fit and the same guy will fit a light in the attic for E30.00 and also he will partially floor the attic for additional fee I think this was E100.00.

He may be willing to travel PM me if you require his number the company name is Superior Attic Ladders.

Good Luck ;)

Back