KBC KBC statement on tracker redress

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I thought too until today's phone conversation. He clearly said the letter means you 'might' be impacted and it was sent out because they were required to give an update in January. He repeated several times the 'if any' clause. I wouldn't presume anything tbh

Just to Say not sure how these guys even got a banking licensee.

Slightly off point.

I was recently doing s switcher my current bank Account to KBC acc,

Started on 1 Dec, and still not done this week, I told them to cancel the process as my confidence in them to bring all my direct debits and standing orders over to KBC Account was gone.

The communication of even a simple process like above was so much hassle because they have a hearing/listening & communication issue imbedded in the culture.

So don’t take what the Clark said as useful call tomorrow you will get a different story.

It’s a disfunctional BANK even more so than the others.

Jackie G, i drew down july 2004 fixed for 2 years so my position is similar to yours, today they could not tell me if im impacted or not, was never offered a tracker neither I or they have any communication that says otherwise. im just hoping im in one of the cohorts rather than expecting so we will just see.

Jackie G, i drew down july 2004 fixed for 2 years so my position is similar to yours, today they could not tell me if im impacted or not, was never offered a tracker neither I or they have any communication that says otherwise. im just hoping im in one of the cohorts rather than expecting so we will just see.
I can't see how your case could be considered as there never was a tracker nor anything that suggested a tracker would be applied.

There is a natural tendency to check if there's any possibility as to get a tracker would be a huge bonus. But it's very difficult to see where kbc or any bank could be told to give a tracker where there's nothing to back it up.

Sorry, but I'm just being realistic.

@peemac If jones contract said he/she would go to 'prevailing variable rate' at the end of the fixed rate period, then they might have a chance!

The December statement says that in Nov 17 they started the redress and compensation for 417 customers and that if that wasn’t complete by Dec 17, Jan 18.

Hopefully these people have been compensated.

That's what I thought too until today's phone conversation. He clearly said the letter means you 'might' be impacted and it was sent out because they were required to give an update in January. He repeated several times the 'if any' clause. I wouldn't presume anything tbh
Forget about calling them. They have hundreds calling them and the vast majority would not be impacted.

Their letter and their press release are both in writing and that's what you go on.

Just be patient.

Remember, it was only a few weeks ago that the central bank forced them to include these two groups. Add Christmas holidays and really it been just two weeks.

Letter clearly states you are impacted. The press release clearly states the cohorts. The press release clearly states they are being returned to tracker and getting a refund.

@peemac If jones contract said he/she would go to 'prevailing variable rate' at the end of the fixed rate period, then they might have a chance!
Then going by what some are saying, that would be the prevailing rate in 2004.

We can't have it every way.

Again, I'm just being realistic.

cant disagree with what is being said, that is why im not overly optimistic, however i did finish a fixed rate during the infamous 'flyer' period but in any event they should still be able to tell me if im impacted or not.

Then going by what some are saying, that would be the prevailing rate in 2004.

We can't have it every way.

Again, I'm just being realistic.

Was the prevailing variable rate not a tracker then though?? Sorry, I know I sound like I'm flogging a dead horse here, but this just seems so complicated.

@peemac was the prevailing variable rate in 2005/06 up to mid-08 another term for tracker?
I'm asking, because if so, regardless of flyer, it said in my contract and in a few other people's that when the fixed rate was up, the prevailing variable would apply. Is that not the same thing that was said on the flyer (except the word tracker was used)?
No. I used that argument both with the FSO and my own legal advisors and both disagreed, but said in the absence of any definition, you "could" revert to a definition written in the mortgage document - that's where some are gettign the idea from.
Those on trackers had "REVERT to homeloan variable rate". The argument is that to evert to something you must be on that previously.

cant disagree with what is being said, that is why im not overly optimistic, however i did finish a fixed rate during the infamous 'flyer' period but in any event they should still be able to tell me if im impacted or not.
The flyer was to brokers signing new business. Brokers don't deal with anything once they sign you up, so the flyer would not be in play for you.
Was the prevailing variable rate not a tracker then though?? Sorry, I know I sound like I'm flogging a dead horse here, but this just seems so complicated.
No - see above.

Sorry if its unpalatable, but you have to be realistic. Those being returned to tracker had an understanding due to either broker communication or because they were originally on a tracker that they would revert to a tacker rate when their fixed rate was up.

The main group were, for want of a better word, "coerced" by KBC to move from tracker to fixed though the sending of unsolicited fixed rate "special offers" that had a deadline of acceptance of about 10 days in the midst of banks (including KBC) warning of much higher rates and advising that fixed was the better option and in the height of holiday season. - Try gettig "independent advice", making a decision and ensuring a form is returned within 10 days in July. That was blatantly unfair and the CB had agreed and everyone in the group 100% deserve to be back on their trackers that they signed up to.

The second group are the infamous flyer group. KBC told brokers that from Nov. 6 all clients they bring to KBC (remember they had several options), would see those clients go to tracker at the end of the fixed rate they signed up to. That agreement was withdrawn in Feb 08. So mortgages that started on a fixed rate between Nov 2006 & Feb 2008 are in this group.

The common factor in both is both had a verifiable expectation in writing with a stated margin over ecb of a tracker after the fixed rate and without this, I would find it difficult to see how the CB can force a tracker to be offered.

Many of the second group never knew of this and have had very pleasant surprises and many of the first group had just accepted what the bank said and also have had very pleasant surprises. But many are hoping / convincing themselves they should be included, but will be, imo, disappointed.

Peemac the confusion is arising from the fact that AIB CEO stated to oireachtas committee that they view prevailing rate as what the rate was when offered, not at the rate when finished. It has to be one way or the other for all banks. So someone needs to clarify it once and for all.......cb or banks.

I was looking at this forum last night and i decided to call KBC today. I signed contracts in march 2006 and drew down on mortgage in august 2006 for a 3 year fixed and prevailing variable rate on expiry. I was put through to the tracker department dealing with this issue and I was informed that I am being considered and will be contacted by the end of March if I am effected. I didn't originally think I would have a chance but there must be something there if they didn't rule it out immediately.

I think KBC stopped offering trackers in 2008

If KBC weren't offering trackers in July 2009, when you came off the fixed rate, how could "rolling to the prevailing variable rate" on expiration of the fixed period mean you should have been offered a tracker, since they weren't offering trackers in July 2009?

Trackers where available up to 4 July 08. We drew down 12 June 08 on a fixed.
In relation to the Nov06 - Feb 08 time frame, who is to say that our broker didn't provide us with a copy of the flyer??

Our broker Is out if business with the last 7 years, so it would be difficult for kbc to say that the brocher/flyer wasn't prvoided to us.

If KBC weren't offering trackers in July 2009, when you came off the fixed rate, how could "rolling to the prevailing variable rate" on expiration of the fixed period mean you should have been offered a tracker, since they weren't offering trackers in July 2009?

I think it would depend on how the prevailing interest rate is defined and the details in the contract.
If my case was as straight forward as you say would KBC not have stated that my case was not being considered?

1,907 mortgage accounts that converted from a tracker rate to another rate product post drawdown up to the period July 2008 are now identified as impacted

Hi Peemac where could I find the press release from KBC stating the sentence you mention above please?

anyone watching the topic on the main page of this site regarding the meetings with the finance committee meeting with the minister of finance and cb , the tracker prevailing rate issue is being discussed and as usual the banks are trying to dodge and screw us again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back