Joining a gym on the northside-which one?

Yes, I was member of ALSAA for a year until I moved away from the area. I tended to go around 8 or so, and it wasn't that bad. The big screens and Sky Sports were a plus as well. Not the most modern of gyms, but still good enough value I felt (I paid €33 per month for use of gym and pool).

I have to say, despite the unfavourable reviews of total fitness, which I totally agree with, I'm about to renew my membership.
The staff are atrocious, they can do nothing without the ok from head office in england, they charge you €7 every year for a new membership card, including for a 6 mth old baby, because they say they can't extend the old one yet if you put your membership on hold you don't need a new card. I went in at 8.5 months pregnant to put my membership on hold due to pregnancy and was asked for a drs cert!! In fairness I was dealing with one of teh almost ok staff and she apologised and said that apparently her word wasn't good enough for the form. Sometimes the showers (in the ladies anyway) don't have any hot water or more than a trickle of water at all.
Having said all that, it's the swimming I'm most interested in and it's by far the best pool around. There are 2 lanes marked off, fast and slow and a common area. No children allowed in the pool and everyone swims lanes. If you go to the grand in malahide it's a hotel pool, so smaller and you have to share with guests and kids. This causes probs if you want to swim lanes. There is also a smaller, much warmer pool for those who want to relax in the water and it's great for babies. I've also never had to queue for equipment. The fact that it opens at 6.30 am midweek is also great cos I can swim before I go to work. And the saunas, steam room, etc and hydotherapy pool are lovely. Membership for a couple (kids under 7 are free) is about €950 and includes everything but the squash courts, tan beds and some classes. Oh and some of the classes are good too.
And after a family swim on a sat/sun morning it's over to Teso to do teh shopping.

Despite all the bad stuff I still think it's the most convenient and best value for me (I live in malahide).

Did you look into Northwood Gym just off the Ballymun exit on the M50. Ive heard good reports and they have a deal on at the moment of €345 for a year membership.
You should also look into Sportslink (just down from ALSAA). Its primarily used by civil servants but offer membership to the public as far as i know. Facilities are also very good in here.

Northwood gym is critically accalimed!

Its only 5 further from ALSAA ( which is a dump I used it while waiting for NW to open ) and 5 mins closer than DCU ( very very basic pool sepearte from gym also ) and total fittness is run down and the pool to me experience was always ruddy freezing.

NW is excellent value brand new and has every machin and selection of free weights imaginable, I took my mate who is a trainer to NW and he wet himself at the selection and size of the place.

Upsatirs there are massage, barbers and beatuy therapy, standard size pool but with 2large each, saunas, hot tibs and steeam rooms.

Im a member myslef and find it top notch. As I said was a mamber of TF and ALSAA while awaiting Dunne open up here, never looked back !

If Westwood in Clontarf / Fairview is on your route to work it might be worth giving some consideration to it. It opens from 6am to 11pm and there's free parking all day at the dart station and overflow car park next door. Facilities are top of the range with a 50m pool, gym etc.

Like a lot of the previous posters, I've heard a lot of negative reports about "Total Fatness" from former members.

Thanks for all the replies.
I hadn't really considered Northwood because I thought the annual fee was closer to €500. If it's now €345 for a year then I may go there. I presume there are no additional costs for any of their facilities on top of this annual payment? Could anyone advise how busy it is for the gym equipment and pool at around 6pm weekdays? They don't seem to have a website.
Regarding Westwood, I was a member there years ago when I lived closer, excellent gym but very pricey.
Sportslink would certainly have been an option only for the fact that you have to pay separately for everything on top of your subscription. This would have been fine if I only planned to use the gym but I'll want to use the pool as well.

Thanks for all the replies.
I hadn't really considered Northwood because I thought the annual fee was closer to €500. If it's now €345 for a year then I may go there. I presume there are no additional costs for any of their facilities on top of this annual payment? Could anyone advise how busy it is for the gym equipment and pool at around 6pm weekdays? .

No added fees a[part from treatements etc upstairs and eh the drinks machines!

Yes its about 345 at the mo.

Unfortunately like evrything 6pm M-F is the busiest for all activities. I only go between 6-8 M/F if I have too. I have very flexible working arrangements so it suits me, actually Im going over at 1 Oc !!

But in all fairness there is soo much equipment you never have a problem maybe you will just have to do a set another piece while you wait for waht you want.
Also there is some amount of duplication of kit between the 2 floors which helps.
Enjoy may seee you there, tell I sent ya :)

Don't think Northwood have a website. Not that I've been able to find anyway. I joined in Jan for 345 p.a., this deal is still available. Have been there at all times of the day and night even the busiest January evenings and have never had to queue for machines. Its a fabulous gym, lovely pool, nice atmosphere. So far its been kept pretty clean. Brought a friend of mine from the US and he reckons he's never been to a gym so good anywhere and he travels a lot internationally and often checks out local gyms...

The 345 euro is a "special offer" which finished on 31st March. I'm sure if you join up soon the offer will be extended to cover your application.

Chers

It might be a special offer at the min but they tend to have it come up every few weeks anyway!

it really is an excellant gym tho! It may get busy around 6pm but u are never waiting for a cardio machine! and there are loads of weights so u will always be kept on go! i was a member of slenderhealth but the waiting around at peak times and only being able to stay on machines for a certain length of time bugged me!

i also love the tv's being attached to the cardio machines! I've actually started running and it brilliant watching tv/music at same time!

I've been in Image Gym in Swords, highly recommended. Small basic gym with primative showers, but great staff who really know their stuff. Also, one of the few remaining squat racks and power cages in Dublin.
http://www.imagegym.com/

I've been checking out Northwood on Santry Avenue, same sort of facilities as Jackie Skelly, but much cheaper.

Morton Stadium, on the old Airport Road, also has a gym, 135 euro for six months, basic facilities but good equipement. Only trouble (for me) is it opens noon to 9pm. I like working out in the morning. It's also got squat rack and power cage.

I've checked out Total Fitness at Clare Hall. I thought the equipement was badly maintained, and the staff weren't helpful.

DCU gym has a pool, but no free weight apart from a handful of small dumbells. No barbells, never mind a squat rack.

Alssa seems light on free weights as well, and I'm sorry, I know it's silly, but the smell of curry puts me off.

Well, I can say for definite that I'm not going to join Jackie Skelly. In fact, I wonder should I send them an e-mail telling them that it's not cute when a member of staff giggles and says "I don't know what a leg press is". And asks "What's a deadlift?"

I thought they didn't have nearly enough free weights, no squat rack, no power cage (no surprize, the staff didn't know what they were), and the showers were dirty.

I did start chatting to one man who was obviously out of place: he should be bending Olympic bars under the weight of several 20kg plates. I asked him why he was there? His wife liked the pool, and as a former Mr Ireland, he couldn't go to a proper gym to workout without being interrupted by people looking for advice. I was the first person there who had talked to him. He reckoned Image was a much better gym.

Anyone know how to contact that gym in DCU? I presume they take people that arent students..!? Ive been trying and I cant get them

I joined the gym in Northwood recently and love it. The staff are slightly rubbish though, I've been trying to get them to do a programme for me for the past few weeks but there is never one around that can help me. Also the pool tends to have some debris (plasters mainly) which is off putting. But for the price it is exceptional.

I'm closer to ALSAA that's why I'm going for it. I'm closer again to Total Fitness, but reviews so far seem to be unfavourable. I'd probably go for DCU if it was closer.
CCovich, if you are into your squash ALSAA is definetly the best place to go. fantastic courts with massive viewing areas and plenty of good players knocking about. i travelled up there to play in a few open squash comps a few times. The aer lingus open was one of the biggest comps on the squash calendar, that is until there was some internal arguement with the committe there and it ended up with the competition being scrapped and losing its grand prix status in irish squash.

Has any one tried http://www.svfitness.com/ in the IFSC?
I'm currently with westwood. Very happy with the facilities, location. Not so happy with the price. Wondering if this might be an alternative.
Thanks.

hi i recently joined total fatness on malahide rd.as its called!.... but i joined because its so close,it was my main motivation to have it easy accesable,otherwise i wouldnt go as much-about 10min walk....its grand even though it has its down sides.... a friend of mine recently joined roganstown house,its pricey but she says she goes there alot with the hubby and new baby,swimming and gym and use of residents bar etc....xxx

Has any one tried http://www.svfitness.com/ in the IFSC?
I'm currently with westwood. Very happy with the facilities, location. Not so happy with the price. Wondering if this might be an alternative.
Thanks.

I thought the price was madness for what it was. It's literally a five minute walk for me but I just couldn't justify the ridiculous price. And their sales pitch left a lot to be desired too.

I thought the price was madness for what it was. It's literally a five minute walk for me but I just couldn't justify the ridiculous price. And their sales pitch left a lot to be desired too.
Madness = svfitness or westwood? (or both?)

Back