Joining a gym on the northside-which one?

I'm in ALSAA - if you go after work (offic hours) the gym is fine but early evening you can end up queueing for a treadmill (hard to believe isn't it that ANYONE would do such a thing!!!).

Have used the pool in the past when my kids were younger but it was quiet crowded and not fun (this is the big pool on the other side of the road). There is a "water suite" in ALSAA but haven't tried it.

One tip - you should check out DCU .... great facilities and think I might change to there soon.

Roy

I have family membership of Total Fitness Coolock.

It's basic.

Facilities are OK in that there is normally enough equipment to meet demand.

The staff that I have had dealings with are either poorly trained or are unsuited to a customer-facing role.

The creche closed about a year ago and I have been repeatedly misinformed by staff about it's re-opening.

Mens changing room is poorly maintained.

The choice of radio station played through the speakers is that of the staff, not of the customers.

It's cheaper than Westwood and nearer than ALSAA - that's why we renewed.

The Grand hotel in Malahide has a leisure centre. It is supposed to be very nice but expensive. I didn't join because they had some archaic way of paying for it in instalments. i.e no direct debit
I was told that I needed to apply for a loan at AIB and then each month go to AIB and collect the cheque and present it to the GYM.
Life is too short for that messing around

Is Slender Health still there in Raheny Village?

Small gym but really good staff and a real community atmosphere.

Would recommend Slender Health if you decide not to go for the swimming ... or the squash!

It is basically a gym only, but staff are excellent.

After replying to this thread, I looked at the gym details on the DCU site. I used to use it years ago, before they had a pool.

The facilities look good and I would expect the staff to be clued-in, given the sports science faculty on campus.

When my current subscription to Total Fitness expires, I'll probably move to DCU.

TarfHead said:
After replying to this thread, I looked at the gym details on the DCU site. I used to use it years ago, before they had a pool.

The facilities look good and I would expect the staff to be clued-in, given the sports science faculty on campus.

When my current subscription to Total Fitness expires, I'll probably move to DCU.

A mate of mine joined some time ago and thinks it's excellent - probably run into you on the treadmill sometime!

Roy

The gym in DCU is brand new and nothing like the one that was there in the 90s. There seems to be plenty of machines and the swimming facilities are top notch (as is the jacuzzi, steam room, turkish bath etc. Yum!). AFAIK however you have to pay for parking which might be a down side.

speirbhean said:
The gym in DCU is brand new and nothing like the one that was there in the 90s. There seems to be plenty of machines and the swimming facilities are top notch (as is the jacuzzi, steam room, turkish bath etc. Yum!). AFAIK however you have to pay for parking which might be a down side.

No - don't think so...... I suspect you are referring to the car park for the Helix. There is parking for the Gym if you drive in from the Ballymun Road end.

At least I didn't have to pay when I went to check it out.

Roy

I am a member ALSSA and would recommend it, although from the sounds of it here DCU is a really good option.

I joined Total Fitness about 18 months ago as it had a wider range and more equipment but ended up going back to ALSSA because of the poor level of service in Total Fitness.

lightup said:
I am a member ALSSA and would recommend it, although from the sounds of it here DCU is a really good option.

DCU looks better alright but it's fairly spendy.

CCOVICH said:
DCU looks better alright but it's fairly spendy.

Don't agree my buddy pays around €600 but that's it. In ALSAA you have to pay extra for everything you use ie. Gym is €3 for every visit, water suites etc are extras so if you are going to be anyway active DCU is a better bet.

Roy

onekeano said:
Don't agree my buddy pays around €600 but that's it. In ALSAA you have to pay extra for everything you use ie. Gym is €3 for every visit, water suites etc are extras so if you are going to be anyway active DCU is a better bet.
Don't think so, you can pay €360 in ALSAA for 'free' access to gyms, pool and water suites. Otherwise you pay €190 plus €x per visit.

CCOVICH said:
Don't think so, you can pay €360 in ALSAA for 'free' access to gyms, pool and water suites. Otherwise you pay €190 plus €x per visit.

Thanks CC, I stand corrected..... Still think I'll move to DCU though cos facilities are better and it's only 5 mins from the house (in the car obviously :))

onekeano said:
Thanks CC, I stand corrected..... Still think I'll move to DCU though cos facilities are better and it's only 5 mins from the house (in the car obviously :))

I'm closer to ALSAA that's why I'm going for it. I'm closer again to Total Fitness, but reviews so far seem to be unfavourable. I'd probably go for DCU if it was closer.

DCU works for me, pricewise, cos I managed to con a degree out of them a few years ago so I can claim to be a graduate. Just hope they don't go looking for the muck that passed for my, ahem, thesis ;).

I'm closer to ALSAA that's why I'm going for it. I'm closer again to Total Fitness, but reviews so far seem to be unfavourable. I'd probably go for DCU if it was closer.
CCOVICH, did you go to ALSAA in the end? Considering it now myself and just looking for opinions. I would probably be going around 6pm in the evenings - is it busy, any queues for machines? Seems reasonable value for the family membership at €600 pa.

Back