Jobseekers Pay Related Benefit - Take break at start?

Yes the payments are collected at your local post office.
There is a concession for over 62s for JB. They can opt for payment direct to their bank account. But all JPRB payments must be physically collected at a post office.
 
Last edited:
Do you have to physically show up to collect?
That doesn’t stop the scams unfortunately. Wasn’t there a case only last week of a guy who flew over from the UK every week to collect JA. Also had 145 credit cards and defrauded a bank out of 800k.
 
You don't mean cash?
Well they don't pay it in One4All gift cards...


  • Post Office: your social welfare payment may be paid to your local post office where it must be collected in person. You can collect your payment in cash from your Post Office. You will need your Public Services Card (PSC) of Social Services Card (SSC) to collect your payment. If you are using an SSC, you will also require photo ID. A Driving Licence, Passport or Irish Residence Permit are accepted forms of photo ID.
 
You can deposit your payments into a Post Office account or an AIB account at the Post Office counter to avoid carrying away cash.

An Post has an agency agreement with AIB.
 
The time has come. I am about to apply for Job seekers pay related benefit. In the end I finished up work a few weeks before my employment ceased so went on trip straight away. I am therefore still within the 4 weeks in the last 10 weeks PRSI payment window. I was going to apply with a claim date as of Monday but it is saying it must be today or a date in the past. I was still out of the country on Friday so going to wait until tomorrow to submit the application.

It also says it may ask for a reason if claim is not made immediately after caseation of employment. Will saying 'wasn't available for work or looking for employment ' be enough for this if asked?

Thanks all!
 
A person is required to make their JPRB application from their 1st day of unemployment.

If a late claim is made within 6 weeks of the date of unemployment, the text below seems to imply that the claim is automatically backdated to the date of unemployment.

It seems that even at this stage you are required to make your application from your first day of unemployment.

If you state any reason why you didn't meet the qualification rules during this period you might disqualify yourself from payments for the backdated 6 weeks.

Because the claim will be started from the date of unemployment you would then be left with the loss of the first 6 weeks of the allowed 13 weeks of €450 payments.

It might be a good idea to check this out with DSP before you claim. If this turns out to be the case, you could reset your JPRB application date by working for a few hours to gain a new class A contribution and then making a new JPRB application based on becoming unemployed from this new employment.



Making a Jobseeker’s Pay-Related Benefit Claim​

A person is required to make their application for Jobseeker’s Pay-Related Benefit from their first day of unemployment by completing the online form through their verified MyWelfare.ie account or by completing the paper application form, JPRB 1, available at the relevant Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch office.


Late Claims​

A person can be unemployed up to 6 weeks before making their claim for Jobseeker’s Pay-Related Benefit and the claim back-dated to the date of unemployment. However, if a person does not make their claim within the first 6 weeks of becoming unemployed and wishes to have their claim backdated to the date of unemployment, they must show ‘good cause’ for the delay in making their claim.
 
This is interesting, thanks for the response. I had focused on the PRSI payment requirement and had assumed if you met that and all the other requirements you would qualify to start the claim from the date you submit it. It's a minefield!
 
Yes it's a minefield for sure. Part of the setting up of JPRB was the tweaking of the rules for Jobseekers benefit. This now only applies to seasonal and part time type workers.

The PRSI rules for JB were that you need 39 contributions in the governing year and 13 paid contributions in the year of your claim.

I advised a part time worker who met these rules but did not meet the JPRB rules. They had a 13 week part time contract and when this ceased I told them to apply for JB.

Their application was refused. Apparently as they are now fully unemployed they can only qualify for JPRB. They are only allowed to qualify for JB if they are still in part time employment.

So for instance, if they were part time employed for 2 days per week and this was reduced to 1 day per week they would have qualified for JB.

But in order to qualify for JPRB this part time worker would need a minimum contract of 26 weeks for qualification.
 
Last edited:
Just to update on this. I submitted the application on Monday this week. 5 weeks had past since my last PRSI stamp week. It's clearly an automated process when you apply online, it was approved within 90 seconds and had issued me an automated letter saying approved and had pulled my earnings from Revenue.

Picked up first payment today.

It seems that once you are within the requirements there is no review and it automatically approves you. No complaints here, very impressed and just delighted I didn't have to deal with any power tripping staff member like I got when I called to ask some questions about it a few months ago.

Thanks to all here for the help.
 
If you are claiming the Pay Related Jobseekers, you are required to be available for and genuinely seeking employment. So I suspect you will be asked to attend at your local INTREO office to discuss your job options.
 
I submitted the application on Monday this week. 5 weeks had past since my last PRSI stamp week.
Did you backdate your claim to when you finished working? And if so did you get asked for a reason why you hadnt applied before now? Or did you start your claim from Monday of this week?
 
Also to add, I entered my correct last date of work and this week as the date of my claim. The approval letter started my claim from this week and I am entitled to the full 39 weeks of the scheme so no deduction for applying 'late' as long as it is within the PRSI payment window it seems.
 
If you are claiming the Pay Related Jobseekers, you are required to be available for and genuinely seeking employment. So I suspect you will be asked to attend at your local INTREO office to discuss your job options.
Absolutely, this is why I didn't claim before this week as I was not available or seeking employment. I will be doing that from now on. They issued me with an appointment for a months time on the automated approval letter.
 
Back
Top