Jackie Skelly Gym - what are you paying?

P

postnobills

Short question : How much are people paying for membership fees in the Jackie Skelly Gym in Swords?

Long version :
I'm a member of the Jackie Skelly gym in swords for the last 3 years.
I am paying 60 euro a month by direct debit which is 720 a year.
At the time I joined there was a significant discount if you paid each year in advance ( I think it was 200 less but I can't be sure) but I didn't have the cash at the time and let things roll on.

I have since asked if I can switch to paying in advance but I've been told it would cost the same.

Their website does not list any prices apart from the ever changing one-off joining fee. If you phone up and ask the price they tell you to make an appointment to call in and speak to the "membership team".

When I asked about my girlfriend joining I was told she would have to pay the same price as me yet when she arranged things on her she own she got a price of 50 euro a month.

Is the price you pay picked out of thin air or the highest amount they think they can squeeze out of you? Am I being ripped off?

There a bit dodge - the same thing happened to me. Go in and tell them, I did and got a monthly discount. They are wierd like that!

Started off at €60 per month, then last year went to €61 and now it's a €62 - they blame bank charges for the increase. With all the money they're getting from cramming in so many new members you'd think they'd hire some decent cleaners!

Sorry...just noticed the query was about Swords originally, I am in Ashbourne gym

I paid in advance...€1080 for 2 for 13 months....

Sorry...just noticed the query was about Swords originally, I am in Ashbourne gym

bejayney...I spoke to the girl in ashbourne branch no more then 3 weeks ago and was quoted just over 1400e for 2 for 12 months (ok you can pass 1 month if you want to = 13 months).
I enquired and no discount for yearly pay in advance and no fixed term 3-6 or 12 month deals, its pay by the month or nothing. Joining fee was something as well, cant remember now, 40e maybe? What the hell is that for? Nice gym though.

I USED TO BE A MEMBER IN THE sWORDS GYM AND LEFT BECAUSE OF OVER CROWDING AND DIRTY FACILITIES.

HAVE RECENTLY SEEN ON THE NEWS THAT JS IS NOW EMPLOYING DEBT COLLECTORS TO CHASE PEOPLE WHO DECIDE TO STOP GOING TO THE GYM BEFORE THERE YEAR CONTRACT IS UP. hOW NICE OF THEM TO DO THIS.

BEN DUNNE'S GYMS ARE A MUCH BETTER DEAL.

PS I DONT WORK FOR BEN DUNNE.

I'm a member of JS in Swords since 2003, and have always paid annully in advance. Currently paying 495 per year, which is similiar to what I started paying in 2003.

If you want add on extras such as access to all gyms or towels every time you go they pump the price up. I don't know do new members get this included automatically

I USED TO BE A MEMBER IN THE sWORDS GYM AND LEFT BECAUSE OF OVER CROWDING AND DIRTY FACILITIES.

HAVE RECENTLY SEEN ON THE NEWS THAT JS IS NOW EMPLOYING DEBT COLLECTORS TO CHASE PEOPLE WHO DECIDE TO STOP GOING TO THE GYM BEFORE THERE YEAR CONTRACT IS UP. hOW NICE OF THEM TO DO THIS.

Thanks Paul J, that fits in with what I remember from 2003.
Are you in a group scheme, a discount through your company or anything like that or were you just offered that price up front?

Hello

I'm not in any group scheme, just walked in off the street 4 years ago and renewed each year paying in full upfront each time. I think it is a combination of rewarding 4 years of loyalty, plus I think they'd find it hard to justify a big increase in membership fees to me. They did try to sell me access to all gyms and free towels each time I go which would have increased the price significantly.

Looking back at my renewal, I was given the choice of 495 upfront for the year or 55 per month. They did offer me 2 years upfront at 795 before, but I didn't take it.

One thing they seriously need to do is a membership satisfaction survey. Standards have seriously slipped in the 4 years that I have been there.

Lads..that sounds really expensive...Just joined the newish Ben Dunne Gym Northwood in Santry/Ballymun...Its gorgeous ...Annual membership 345 Euro....Good on Ben Dunne for bringing the prices down and challenging the others to do the same!
I don't work for Ben either but I did years ago when I was in secondary school! ;)

Lads..that sounds really expensive...Just joined the newish Ben Dunne Gym Northwood in Santry/Ballymun...Its gorgeous ...Annual membership 345 Euro....Good on Ben Dunne for bringing the prices down and challenging the others to do the same!
I don't work for Ben either but I did years ago when I was in secondary school! ;)

Just want to reiterate what Lauren said-the Ben Dunne gym in Northwood is very impressive and price wise it has to be the best deal in this area-345 euro for the year, no joining fee or any other type of fee. For good measure they also give you a free kit bag, towel and lock and key for a locker. The changing rooms are like something you'd see in a big golf club and although they have an increasing membership the gym area is huge. I have no relationship professional or otherwise with Ben Dunne.

Just want to reiterate what Lauren said-the Ben Dunne gym in Northwood is very impressive and price wise it has to be the best deal in this area-345 euro for the year, no joining fee or any other type of fee. For good measure they also give you a free kit bag, towel and lock and key for a locker. The changing rooms are like something you'd see in a big golf club and although they have an increasing membership the gym area is huge. I have no relationship professional or otherwise with Ben Dunne.

I did have the option of joining Westpoint when I joined a gym - my brother was a member so I tried it out but have to say I didn't like it. There was a strict 15 minute limit on the machines and people were queuing for treadmills etc - also the machines seemed to be on top of each other. I joined JS because there is no limit on machines and there are always free machines even in January - there seems to be a bit more space. Although, the membership is pretty expensive for JS. The most annoying thing I find is the lack of trainers and the fact that they sit at their desk rather than walking around talking to people and offering help - when I first joined they couldn't do enough for you, now they seem to have a skeleton staff who do anything to avoid making eye contact with you in case you ask them for help.

Yeah, I pay circa 300 p.a to Ben, i had a look aorund Jackie's, but imo, Ben's has better facilities - bit damn crowded at the minute though with all the jan get fit crew there - hopefully that'll die off shortly;)

Yeah thers a big crowd in BDs at the moment, but even with that, there is no waiting around to get on machines etc. I wasn't aware and haven't seen any people been asked to get off machines etc.

Yeah thers a big crowd in BDs at the moment, but even with that, there is no waiting around to get on machines etc. I wasn't aware and haven't seen any people been asked to get off machines etc.
Agree, never heard of this 15mins per machine limit before, and I haven't had to wait on a machine in yrs (bet it happens this evening now!!).
All in all, it's tremendous value imo. Anyway gotta go, Uncle Ben is calling...

I joined Swords and am also in Ashbourne so for the use of the two gyms i pay 475 euro per year and have had this amount for the past 2 years. It worked out alot cheaper than paying per month.

I used to be in the gym in Blanch SC but now Im in Tony Quinns. I know there is alot of hype about the guy but I can hinestly say that you really do get results there and its all been refurbished now and price wise. Its not too bad!

Back