Is the rate of payment of LPT much higher than the Property Charge?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
From RTE.ie

Property Tax letters and forms were issued to more than 1.6 million property owners earlier this year.

About 500,000 households still need to make a return online before the deadline expires tomorrow to avoid penalties.
Does that mean that 67% (1.1m out of 1.6m) have already made a return?

I seem to remember we had a big argument around the time of the Property Charge whether a majority (50%) had paid or not by the deadline. It seems that the rate of compliance with the much more expensive LPT is much higher.

If so, it looks as if the Property Charge was a good idea. They learned from their mistakes.

Having revenue as the collectors of the tax was the stick that made people pay up I imagine.

And Revenues estimate on the LPT demand was so low that the ones who said they wouldn't pay have decided to pay it.

The difference is that the revenue will get their money even if you don't register.

They over valued my house by double the peak boom price.

I did not pay the household charge or the property tax. I has no intention of doing so.

I wish I had Time's courage.
Indeed, I'm impressed by the fact that despite all pressure from the authorities maybe a third of the population will still not have registered by tomorrow.

I paid it against all my gut feeling - I don't believe its right considering how much stamp duty I paid - however, it has to be paid like it or not - and once it was handed over to Revenue, well, thats the end of that.
I hope they don't put the tv licence under Revenues control!

I finally paid the household charge when I got a bill in the post - no way was I registering. I have registered for LPT and it will come out by DD in July. Not happy about paying it but I'd be even less happy to be paying interest on the charge in the future.

This is an unbelievable level of compliance, if it's correct.

Last day for filing property tax returns

The deadline for filing Local Property Tax returns online is midnight tonight.
It is estimated that about 300,000 households still need to make a return online to avoid penalties.

Over 22,000 people contacted the helpline yesterday.

Revenue says that, as of last evening, 1,265,000 property tax returns had been filed.

I did not pay the household charge or the property tax. I has no intention of doing so.

Oh dear Time do you think that is wise? How long term do you think you can escape without paying heavily for this?

As an aside, I note that apparently a very large number of landlords who have never registered for the PRTB/NPPR etc are going to get caught out now because tenant's have been sent demands for the LPT and have notified revenue the names of the landlords.

This is an unbelievable level of compliance, if it's correct.

Brendan, its a no brainer as far as I can see - you can stamp and kick and disagree but once Revenue are in charge, they'll get the money from you sooner or later.
I know a couple of people who still have not and will not pay - I can't fathom it at all.

It still looks like there will be 300-400k homes not paid - I wouldnt like to be waiting on a letter in one of those houses.

Those Revenue figures do indeed show high compliance. A number of my elderly relatives asked me to file their returns a while back. Once the Revenue took over the Household Charge in tandem with the LPT, even my Dad was asking me how does he pay! I filed mine online on Sunday and went for the single debit authority of 21st July.

I'm not surprised at the high compliance level given the implications of non compliance. Ultimately I don't see how this tax can be evaded, if one attempts to do so. Also the household charge converts to an LPT of €200 from July 1st for those who still haven't paid it and thus will be subject to the same criteria as linked to above for those who don't pay.

Curious to know why you think revenue wont catch up with you ? Revenue have a big bad bata called Audit :D if they think you might be a bold boy.
Revenue audit resources are already badly stretched. It doesn't make economic sense for Revenue to divert audit resources away from high-risk business sectors towards PAYE earners, pensioners and social welfare recipients to collect a few hundred euro in property tax arrears.

I am non resident.

That won't save you when you go to sell!

"Interest charges at 8% per annum apply to late payment of LPT and penalties may also arise.

Any unpaid LPT attaches to the property and you will not be able to sell it without paying any LPT, interest and penalties due."

mf

Back