Is the rate of payment of LPT much higher than the Property Charge?

Revenue audit resources are already badly stretched. It doesn't make economic sense for Revenue to divert audit resources away from high-risk business sectors towards PAYE earners, pensioners and social welfare recipients to collect a few hundred euro in property tax arrears.

Indeed. Now this might come as a shock of seismic proportions to you but what I said above to Time was in jest. ( Hint large font for word " audit " and smiley )

What really can Revenue do to someone who has nothing except a whopping great debt?

I've just read on the Revenue website the implications of not paying .If I was a parent of kids that I could hardly afford to support and was struggling to pay Mr Banker an enormous debt then the so-called implications of not paying would mean nothing.

What really can Revenue do to someone who has nothing except a whopping great debt?

I've just read on the Revenue website the implications of not paying .If I was a parent of kids that I could hardly afford to support and was struggling to pay Mr Banker an enormous debt then the so-called implications of not paying would mean nothing.

Fair enough. Go for deferral.

But we'd need to quantify the number of people who are in the circumstances you describe. It may be that bankruptcy and repossession will render their situation incapable of any solution but many people ( as I understand and it is only anecdotal) are not paying on a dubious (in my view) point of principle.

mf

Revenue audit resources are already badly stretched. It doesn't make economic sense for Revenue to divert audit resources away from high-risk business sectors towards PAYE earners, pensioners and social welfare recipients to collect a few hundred euro in property tax arrears.

Non compliance with any tax obligation will be a risk factor in informing Revenue's selection of cases for audit. The REAP system has been developed to identify risks in the PAYE taxpayer base as well as self assessed / business taxpayers.

Certainly it may not result in too many PAYE taxpayers getting audits (apart from previously non-declaring landlords or others with similar unaired laundry), it increases the risk profile of a non compliant relative to similar, but compliant, PAYE taxpayers. And likewise self-assessment taxpayers.

So while you're right to say that Revenue aren't going to fritter away their auditors' time pursuing LPT, some people who might otherwise have avoided an Income tax / VAT / PREM audit will get one partially as a result of LPT non compliance.

Revenue have extended the online deadline til 8pm Wednesday. Returns are 10,000 per hour!

Back